Best VPN for All Devices
It’s not uncommon to use numerous devices throughout the day – you are on a computer at work and at home, and your mobile device is constantly at your fingertips. Using a laptop or tablet is a great way to continue to do work from home, or to catch up with the end of that Netflix movie you fell asleep during last night.
But did you know that using multiple devices comes with an added risk of having your information compromised?
It doesn’t matter where or what you’re connecting from – if you access personal information online, you’re opening yourself up to the possibility of having your information stolen.
A VPN is an excellent idea to use, therefore, to secure your connections and consequently your personal data. However, not all VPNs are compatible with all devices, so your use of the internet is can be interrupted by a piece of software that works on your phone, but not your tablet. The best VPNs not only perform well on your desktop but they are also compatible with multiple devices.
If you want the fastest or the most trusted provider, here’s what you need to know before making your decision.
For a provider that is compatible with all of your devices and operating systems, be sure to use Express VPN.
What Is A VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an online service which encrypts all your data and hides your IP address from the public.
It works by connecting your device to the internet through anonymous VPN servers. This allows you to browse the internet securely from anywhere. You’ll also be able to watch streams and content from other countries with the new IP address that gets assigned to you.
Additionally, as any respectable provider ensures the deletion of data logs straight away, users keep their ISP unaware of their online activity. In fact, ISPs can only see that you’re connected to a VPN server, and not the website itself.
Here’s how it works in practice:
- You sign up for a subscription through a host company
- After downloading their software, you’ll login and select one of their secure servers to route your connection through
- The company in turn encrypts all of your data and blocks your IP address, making your location impossible for prying eyes to pinpoint
Top VPNs for All Devices
For a VPN to be a useful piece of software, it needs to have the following features.
- Quick Connection and Unlimited Bandwidth – A fast VPN is important if you plan to stream content online with no buffering
- Strict Encryption Techniques – You’ll need a secure VPN to ensure peace of mind, so be on the lookout for AES-256 encryption keys
- Wide Server Network – If a VPN provider has countless country locations for servers, content from anywhere in the world is accessible to its users
- No Log Policies – In some countries accessing copyrighted or banned content is an illegal act, so a no connection logs policy is required to stop your traffic getting into the wrong hands
- Simultaneous connections – Simultaneous connections allow you to use several devices at the same time with the same account, this is especially important if you (like most people) own multiple devices
- Compatibility – Ideally, a VPN should work on every device, with no loss of function between platforms
Top 3 VPNs for All Devices
Here are a few of the biggest names in internet security, and how they stack up for people with a menagerie of gadgets.
#1 Express VPN – 9/10 Works on all operating systems
You can’t go wrong with Express VPN, which is a great choice in terms of compatibility and overall value. Here’s why:
- Native apps for: Windows, iOS, Linux, Android, Mac, and Blackberry
- Fast connection speeds that allow for freeze free and quick internet browsing sessions
- Professional interface – ExpressVPN looks great across all platforms and devices
- Multiple connections – it can be used on up to three devices simultaneously
- Excellent customer service – ExpressVPN has a solid support team which can be accessed 24/7
- Excellent range of security protocols – provides the utmost protection for its users at all times by not keeping logs and employing the best encryption techniques.
- Slightly more expensive than competitors – However, you’re paying for the speeds and the quality of service, and they do give three months free if you opt for a 12-month package. There’s also a simple 30-day money-back guarantee which can be used to trial the VPN on the devices of your choice
Pricing per month:
- One month: $12.95
- Six months: $9.99
- 15* months: $6.67 *Three months free
If you use a variety of devices, and want the fastest, most secure connection you need to get Express VPN.
#2 IPVanish – 8/10 Unlimited bandwidth, doesn’t work with iOS
As the name suggests, IPVanish is a decent anonymous VPN that can get the job done via a wide variety of platforms.
- Excellent compatibility with many operating systems. Recently, they have added iOS app support for their massive server network
- Many locations across its network – IPVanish has secure servers which are available in over 60 countries worldwide
- Multiple connections – IPVanish allows for two simultaneous connections at any one time, which is good for small households
- Well priced – Noticeably cheaper than ExpressVPN
- 7 day money back guarantee – this is a shorter trial period than many VPN provider competitors
- No live chat feature – Their customer support is not quite industry standard yet so you’ll have to send an email to get in touch with their team if you have any issues
Pricing per month:
- One month: $7.50
- Three months: $6.75 per month
- 12 months: $4.87 per month
IPVanish can be found here.
#3 HideMyAss – 6/10 Slow customer service, unreliable connection
You may have already heard of HideMyAss, as the UK-based VPN is popular thanks to distinctive branding and strong marketing.
- Compatible with all operating systems – good for those who use many different types of hardware
- One of the largest server networks of any provider – results in quick connection speeds whenever required, from any device
- Many different locations – There are over 760 locations to pick from in 190+ countries so any content is accessible with HideMyAss
- Multiple connections – you’ll be able to use five simultaneous connections with the same account
- 30 day money-back guarantee – be warned however, that this is only the case if ‘you have used less than 10GB of bandwidth.’ It’s not the most generous allocation, so you’ll need to decide quickly whether HideMyAss is for you
Pricing per month:
- One month: $9.99
- Six months: $7.99
- 12 months: $5.99
HideMyAss is here.
But Why Do I Need A VPN For All Devices?
Before you take the plunge and subscribe to one of these VPNs that work across all devices, it is a good idea to understand why exactly you need one in the first place.
Ultimately, your online information is always at risk to some degree, no matter which platform or operating system you use. Some are worse than others, but there’s no such thing as a completely secure online platform.
Here is how all your devices can leave you open to online fraud and hackers:
The traditional powerhouse at home or work, desktop computers have always been a good way for hackers to gain access to your personal information. This is true for both Mac and Windows machines, despite common misconceptions about Apple’s walled garden.
Older computers tend to be less maintained than an expensive new desktop, and a lack of software updates and hardware upgrades make it easier to exploit with the right know-how. (This is especially true if you regularly torrent cracked apps or entertainment.)
Desktop computers are also typically used by multiple people, increasing the risk significantly. The best computer VPNs will have a dedicated desktop client, making it simple to connect with a couple of clicks. The app should also be fully optimized to ensure peak performance on your operating system.
From the latest Apple MacBooks to entry-level Chromebooks, laptops are popular thanks to their portability and price. They’re as prone to hacks as desktop computers for several reasons.
Wi-Fi is a lifesaver for anyone on the move, but wireless networks are always dangerous. T-Mobile and AT&T are the largest hotspot providers in the US, but neither requires encryption of data traveling wirelessly between your device and the Internet. The same is true for hotels, cafes, airports and other locations known for public Wi-Fi access, and it’s surprisingly easy to exploit.
The Mirror conducted a short experiment with an ethical hacker, who was able to see; “a mirror image of what was being inputted in real time including passwords and credit card details which a criminal would save for later use” when he set up a fake hotspot in a busy cafe.
A VPN for laptops won’t be much different to a desktop version, but it’s always safer if you plan to use a wireless connection outside the home.
Smartphones and Tablets
You’ll also be able to use a VPN for mobile devices.
This is great news for anyone with a strict data plan, as it makes public hotspots secure despite the lack of encryption.
Apps are generally the best entry point for hackers on mobile devices, as they often need permissions that can show anything from your photos to your passwords.
Your data is also extremely valuable, and apps like the mail-management service Unroll.me have been caught selling Lyft customer usage data to rivals Uber in the past.
You can download a VPN for Samsung, Nokia, LG and mobile devices, and most decent providers have apps for Android and iOS. Windows Phone users aren’t so lucky, but there is sporadic support available.
Can I Use A Free VPN?
We would strongly advise against using a free VPN at any time. With a free VPN on desktops, laptops or mobiles with any operating service, you simply do not have the right protection in place to remain secure online.
A free VPN will never have strict encryption protocols or systems and they rarely employ a no log policy as selling your data is a way of making revenue.
Additionally, the bandwidth is more often than not capped so using the internet is often slow.
Are VPNs Legal To Use?
A VPN is perfectly legal to have on your computer in most countries around the world.
However, it is what you choose to access that can get you into trouble if you are caught.
In particular, countries with strict censorship laws ban a great deal more content than other more liberal governments around the world. If users are found accessing that banned content from inside the stricter country, they are subject to the laws, fines and punishments that that government have in place.
Other Ways To Secure Your Devices
Whether you plan on using your VPN for mobile, desktop or laptop devices, you’ll always be safer while you’re hidden under a cloak of online anonymity.
As well as a VPN, there are additional steps you can take to secure your devices:
- Two Factor Authentication – Wherever possible, try to add another layer of information to compliment your username and password. You can set notifications to see when an account has been accessed by a new device, allowing you to quickly change your password if necessary
- Antivirus and Firewall Settings – If you’re a fan of downloading torrents or random files from the internet, even the best computer VPN will need backup in the form of a solid firewall. Antivirus software is always a bonus, and you never know when it will detect a hidden threat
- Be Careful When Downloading Apps and Programs – A free cracked app or program might be tempting, but there’s no telling if it has been packaged with something that could be harmful to your device
- Delete Old Accounts and Apps – If you no longer use an account or app, it’s better to delete it if they have access to personal information
- Permissions – On your mobile device, check through the various permissions in your settings menu to see what an app is allowed to see and do on your device
- Messages – If you still use SMS, it could be time to move over to an encrypted alternative like WhatsApp
The Bottom Line: ExpressVPN Is The Best VPN for All Devices
We recommend ExpressVPN above all others as the best VPN for all devices.
It is quick, reliable and secure. Subscribers can use the VPN safe in the knowledge that their personal information is nearly impossible to retrieve through their internet connection, once they have ExpressVPN up and running – on any of their devices.
For a VPN that works on all of your gadgets and offers the most reliable connection, check out Express VPN today.