Best VPN for Small Businesses
A VPN is a must-have for any business looking for secure communications, freedom of movement, and top-notch security. In this article, we’ll be going over what exactly makes for the best VPNs for businesses and why they’re so necessary in today’s world.
Additionally, we take a look at the top business VPN on the market today, and look at why NordVPN comes out top as the best VPN solution for business.
Why Get a VPN for Business Purposes?
A VPN is an essential for any modern business. The two main reasons why businesses should choose one of the leading VPN solutions for business are:
- Secure Communications In 2016, nearly 90% of businesses were subject to a data breach. Hackers are too commonly walking away with personal or private data and using it to commit fraud and other online crimes. If these companies had invested in the necessary cyber-security prevention techniques, including the use of a secure VPN, their data could have been secured and encrypted, and their activity kept private. As well as helping to prevent data leaks, a VPN can also help keep employees protected from unsecured Wi-Fi spots (in hotels, airports and cafes) – helping to prevent hackers from intercepting traffic and allowing staff to work without fear of being monitored online.
- Geographical restrictions Do you or your staff ever travel for business purposes? If yes, how can you be sure that your employees are consistently using a secure internet connection or private Wi-Fi network? A VPN can ensure that your employees’ connections are encrypted to military levels, making the connections totally anonymous and private, wherever they are in the world. A VPN will also allow you to browse the internet as if you were in your home country. In fact, a VPN will remove geographical restrictions by rerouting your internet traffic through your location of choice – allowing you to browse as if you were sitting at your office desk in your home country, gaining you access to all the websites and channels that you’re used to. This means, if you or an employee are in an internet restrictive country, where basic social media sites (Skype, Facebook, and WhatsApp to name a few), you can simply set your server to your home country and your IP address will be changed.
VPN Solutions for Business
When it comes to choosing the right VPN solution for your company, there are many VPN providers to take into consideration. Tested in real-life business settings, we reviewed dozens of VPNs to find those with features most beneficial for businesses.
The best VPNs for business should have the following critical features:
- Multiple servers – a good VPN for business will have a large number of servers located across the globe, making establishing a secure connection easy at any time, and avoiding geo-restrictions
- High encryption levels – one of the most important features of a VPN, strong encryption levels ensure that your online traffic and file sharing is private and cannot be read by third parties
- No logs – imperative so as not to leave any traces of the true nature of your internet activity
- DNS leak prevention – ensures the utmost anonymity by plugging DNS leaks to keep anonymity online
- Kill switch – should the VPN ever unexpectedly drop its connection, a kill switch will enable all traffic to be halted to keep your business data secure
#1 NordVPN – Best VPN for Business
NordVPN for Business is recommended by some of the most reliable voices out there, from Wired magazine to Yahoo Tech, as well as Forbes, and PCmag.com. It’s a solid choice for business to business VPN use.
- Military grade security features – NordVPN will keep any company’s business data private. All of your business internet traffic is encrypted not just once, but twice, offering incredible levels of privacy and safety
- Other security features include CyberSec – this is NordVPN’s protection against online cyber crime as well as spam
- DNS leak protection – with NordVPN for business, DNS leak protection means you are immediately supported if there are any issues with your connection, and the Kill Switch feature takes you offline instantaneously if your VPN stops working for any reason
- Large network – NordVPN has over 1,000 servers in 60 countries, so it’s perfect for global business needs, helping to make it one of the best VPN solutions small business-wise
- Several tunneling techniques – NordVPN utilizes many different protocols including Secure Socket tunneling and Point to Point tunneling.
- $11.95 a month
- $7.00 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.99 a month for a 12-month plan
- Special deal: $3.99 a month for a 24-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is an ideal VPN business solution. It is one of the most reliable and consistent VPNs on the market and therefore offers excellent value for money.
- Fast speeds – One of the fears that people have when looking for the best VPN for small business is that a VPN is going to slow them down. ExpressVPN is one of the fastest choices on the market
- Top data privacy and security – owing to the fast connection speeds, ExpressVPN customers do not have to compromise on performance at the expense of top notch security settings.
- Several tunneling protocols – ExpressVPN offer four protocols, OpenVPN with TCP/UDP, SSTP, PPTP, and L2TP/IPsec
- Compatible with many devices – This business VPN choice works on many different devices, from Mac and Windows, to Android, iOS, Linux and even Routers. This means if your staff work from different channels, they are covered
- Simultaneous connections – ExpressVPN offers up to three devices covered simultaneously, making them a great choice for small business VPN solutions
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.67 a month for a 15-month plan (including three months free!)
- 30-day money back guarantee
PrivateVPN is an impressive VPN for business with a whole host of crucial features included in the rock bottom price.
- Many different protocols – PrivateVPN takes security incredibly seriously. They have several different protocols including OpenVPN, TCP, UDP, L2TP or IPsec and PPTP. Our preferred choice is OpenVPN.
- Automatic switching – Always cutting edge, PrivateVPN also offers IKEv2 for switching seamlessly between mobile and WiFi networks on newer mobile devices
- Multiple connections – Another great extra is PrivateVPN’s industry leading 6 simultaneous devices capability
- $7.67 for one month
- $5.25 per month for three months
- $3.88 for thirteen months today
IPVanish is perfect for businesses as it is easy to use due to its simple interface and system. Meaning staff spend less time on understanding a new, complicated piece of software, and more time on their jobs.
- Uses two protocols, IKEv2 and IPsec – Helpfully, IPVanish list a strong comparison on their website if you aren’t sure which works best for your business VPN needs.
- Huge network of servers – This company is one of the ultimate choices for VPN for business, mainly because of their tremendous scope. They have over 850 servers in more than 60 countries, and specialize in unrestricted access to the web.
- Results driven – IPVanish remains at the top of its game as it knows how to respond to business needs. They highlight some great business benefits, such as the ability to VoIP from any location, keeping business costs low for calls across the globe.
- $10.00 for a single month
- $8.99/month for a three-month plan
- $6.49/month for a 12-month plan billed annually
- 7-day refund policy
Business VPN vs Consumer VPN
Business VPN (Private Server)
With a business VPN, employees will be able to gain access to files from their business’ specific server, essentially allowing them to work from home or abroad as if they were logged in on their computer in the office. Companies will be able to safely access, send, and download files and important business material from their office with ease giving them remote access to the business from anywhere across the globe.
Consumer VPN (Shared Server)
A consumer VPN used by a business, on the other hand, will allow businesses to experience a reliable and private connection no matter where they are in the world be it for business or pleasure online. This kind of VPN will allow for a private and secure connection without having to worry about the interference of third parties and hackers intercepting data.
Importantly, as previously mentioned, VPNs provide access to websites and services that may be blocked due to geographical boundaries. This means websites, news channels, and VoIP services such as Skype and Viber, can all be accessed even if employees are traveling to China or certain Middle Eastern countries that impose bans.
There are a number of awesome VPN solutions for small business on the market, and many of them have extra security, privacy, or communication tools which can help tip the balance in their favor. See our VPN review for best services.
For us, the double military grade encryption levels, as well as the extra cyber security tools help us feel confident in recommending NordVPN for the best business VPN. The protocols are simple, safe, and speedy while the price is competitively low. The extra features which keep you protected even when something goes wrong are industry leading.