All Treats No Tricks with Your Cyber Security
No Goblin Witches, But Protect Yourselves from Cyber Attacks
Halloween brings ghouls, goblins witches and warlocks to the forefront of our minds. While it’s fun to pretend, it’s also important to remember that some threats are real, especially on the internet. In honor of Halloween, we’ve created a list to promote cyber-security in your household:
Don’t Open Candy that Looks Phishy. Just as you wouldn’t eat candy that was half-open or seemed to have been tampered with, don’t open emails from strangers. Phishing scams are a real tactic criminals use to obtain your personal information and commit fraud. If it looks and smells like a fish, it probably is. Send it to the trash without another thought.
Don’t Accept Invitations from Strange Ghouls. If you receive a friend request from a stranger, delete it; period. Especially on personal accounts not used for business, there is no need for strangers to have access to your personal information.
Carry a Can of Monster Spray in Public. When connected to any public Wi-Fi network, take extra precaution. Don’t access sensitive private information like your bank account while connected. They are easy for monsters and other predators to hack.
Hide Your Candy from Prying Eyes. Create strong passwords that are difficult to guess. Use lowercase and capital letters, numbers and symbols. Change passwords frequently; if you have a difficult time keeping track of them, invest in a password manager.
Don’t Settle for a Cheap Costume. Cyber-security and privacy is of the utmost importance, and there are plenty of fake services out there that take advantage of uninformed users. Free proxies are useless, as they don’t encrypt your data. The only way to truly secure your computer system and protect your privacy is to invest in a virtual private network (VPN.) We’ve curated a list of the best Halloween VPN promotions available this year. Get more details on our VPN review.
Best Halloween Deals on VPNs – What to Look For
VPN research is intimidating, especially those new to the idea of seeking their own internet security. To make the search easier, there are a few key features to look for. The first is a sufficient trial period. No matter if you’re new to VPN research, or a veteran looking to change service providers, it is important to have enough time to make sure each brand you are considering has the features you expecting.
For those feeling intimidated, here are some basic features to look for during the free trial:
- Make sure there are an abundant number of servers across a variety of locations worldwide. This will ensure you have enough options for unblocking content, especially because sometimes content is exclusive to certain countries.
- Check that all the channels and protocols you want access to are supported. (And that each operating system and platform you want to protect is, too.)
- Pick a service that has an anonymity/log policy you are comfortable with. Logs are records, so in the case of VPNs, those extremely nervous about privacy should research laws in the company’s location and seek out a ‘no log’ policy. Connection logs are not traced to users; they often keep track of basic statistics to ensure the service is running smoothly. Activity logs are more specific and should be avoided at all costs.
- Lastly, be sure your chosen brand offers the amount of customer support and help that you need. Many offer live chat support, but some just have searchable databases.
Continue reading for a more detailed look at selected brands, including those offering the best Halloween VPN promotions.
#1 ExpressVPN – Best Halloween VPN Promotion 2017
ExpressVPN is a leader in the industry for good reason. The core of the service allows users to browse the internet anonymously. But it goes a step further to protect privacy. Here are all of the features offered by ExpressVPN:
- 256-bit encrypted tunnels that scramble information.
- No activity logs that can be traced to specific users.
- A “network lock” feature that freezes activity if disconnected.
- OpenVPN protocol.
ExpressVPN is currently featuring a promotion offering 15 months of service for $99.95, including three months free. A 6-month plan costs $59.95 twice a year, and the monthly plan is $12.95/mo. ExpressVPN also has a 30-day money back guarantee. We recommend it as the best VPN deal this Halloween.
Get more details on our ExpressVPN review.
NordVPN has features tailored for those especially concerned with privacy. They have a ‘no logs’ policy, meaning no records are kept at all. The company is located in Panama, so privacy laws lean in the customers’ favor. Other security features include:
- A dedicated kill switch that can be customized per application.
- 256-bit encrypted tunnels.
- DNS leak protection.
- Double VPN capability.
The company is currently offering a 2-year service plan for just $3.99 per month. Other plans include $6.99 per month for the 1 yr plan, $9.00 per month for the 6 months plan, or $11.95/mo. 30-day money-back guarantees are included with all plans.
Get more details on our NordVPN review.
PrivateVPN is another service that includes comprehensive security features. Standouts include:
- 256-bit encrypted tunnels.
- Protection over public Wi-Fi
- OpenVPN protocol (most secure/popular) + other options.
- A no logs policy.
All plans on the site currently include a 25% discount. Options include 13 months for $54.00, 3 months for $16.88 or $8.21/mo. All plans feature a 30-day money-back guarantee.
More details on PrivateVPN review.
Another service to consider is IPVanish. They’ve designed a service with user privacy in mind. Capabilities include:
- A zero logs policy.
- 256-bit encrypted tunnels.
- Unlimited server switching.
- Anonymous torrenting.
Plans on the site are currently discounted by different amounts. A one-year plan is $77.99, the 3-month plan is $26.99, or pay $10.00 month-to-month. The IPVanish free trial period is 7 days.
More information on IPVanish review.
Put a VPN in Your Pumpkin Basket this Halloween
A VPN is the best treat you can buy yourself this Halloween. Do your research and pick the one that best meets your needs. Remember to follow the tips mentioned earlier in the article to further protect your security, along with taking advantage of the Halloween VPN promotions. Our recommended VPN based on value for your money is ExpressVPN.