How to Stream UK's Channel 4 Abroad With a VPN
Channel 4, in the UK, makes some excellent shows and broadcasts some brilliant entertainment series made by other production companies.
Sadly, its content is not available outside of the UK.
Fortunately, however, there are ways to work around this, the best one being a VPN.
We recommend ExpressVPN for speedy, lag-free Channel 4 viewing!
Why Can’t I Access Channel 4 Outside The UK?
Channel 4 blocks its content to users outside the UK by geo restricting any location outside of what is stipulated in its contractual agreements. It has agreements with production companies regarding where their shows can be aired – and where they can’t.
Therefore, if you’re outside the UK, you’re not legally meant to watch Channel 4 content.
How To Watch Channel 4 Outside The UK
We recommend using a VPN to watch Channel 4 outside the UK. There are other methods like TORs or Proxies, but VPNs are by far the safest and the most reliable.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and it works as a way to access geo blocked material from 4oD, by masking your true location.
Your location is given away to Channel 4 when you try to access it online via your computer’s IP address. To mask your true location, a VPN provider gives you the appearance of a new IP by lending you one (in this case, one that resides within the UK) that belongs to one of its servers in its network.
Once connected to this network, users can access and stream Channel 4 from anywhere in the world, even if they’re outside the UK.
The Best VPNs For Watching Channel 4
We’ve rated and reviewed the top VPNs on the market to see which is the best.
We’ve listed our top 5 below and we rated them on the following characteristics which are needed in any VPN.
- Amount Of Servers VPN providers should have a large network of servers to offer the best service possible. A large network means that customers can be certain of a connection so they will always be able to access Channel 4 online.
- Strong Encryption Technology VPNs are brilliant for adding an extra layer of security to your internet connection. However, not all security measures that VPN providers offer are the same. Our favorite VPNs all have strong security measures in the form of strong encryption technology to result in a secure 4oD streaming session.
- High Speeds with Unlimited Bandwidth A VPN without high speeds and caps on its bandwidth is not worth investing in, in our view – especially if it’s been purchased with streaming TV shows from Channel 4 in mind. A VPN without high speeds, but caps on the bandwidth means that users will experience buffering and pixelation.
- Money Back Guarantee Sometimes things don’t work out. If you’re unhappy with a service that you subscribe to, it’s great to have a money back guarantee in place after you’ve tried it.
ExpressVPN is arguably the best VPN provider out there. In our view, it’s the ideal VPN to watch Channel 4 outside the UK.
- Unlimited bandwidth – This is perfect when trying to watch Channel 4 live. ExpressVPN does not set caps on their bandwidth, so customers don’t have to suffer constantly buffering and pixelated content.
- Fast connection speeds – Along with unlimited bandwidth, ExpressVPN’s fast connection speed make it possible to stream Channel 4 live or on 4oD with no problems
- 145 locations for servers – This not only means that ExpressVPN customers can watch Channel 4 abroad, they can also watch lots of other geo-restricted content too
- Strict privacy policies – ExpressVPN has many protocols in place that results in customer data being kept under lock and key
- 30 day money back guarantee – ExpressVPN customers can ask for their money back if they find they can’t watch Channel 4 in the USA or abroad – or any other content for that matter!
- $12.95 per month for one month
- $9.99 per month for six months
- $6.67 per month for twelve months plus three months free
If you want to access all of your favorite Channel 4 content while you’re abroad, Cyberghost is a very good choice.
- Never any logs kept – Cyberghost promises to never keep any logs of your data, so it is not floating around in their system to ever sell or compromise you.
- 3,000+ servers – Cyberghost has a large number of servers, and they are located in many different countries, so you can access content from all over the place.
- Military-grade encryption strength – Their military-strength AES 256-BIT encryption uses a 2048-BIT RSA Key, so you can be sure of your safety online.
- 45-day money back guarantee – Cyberghost has a 45-day full money back guarantee, in case you didn’t like something about the service.
- $12.99 per month for one month.
- $7.99 per month for 6 months.
- $3.50 per month for 12 months.
NordVPN makes it easy to watch Channel 4 online. It has all the features we look for in a VPN.
- Quick connectivity – NordVPN customers rarely experience buffering when trying to stream Channel 4 or 4oD due to the provider’s quick connection speeds
- Double VPN encryption – NordVPN makes certain that their customers’ streaming sessions cannot be traced with its Double VPN Encryption method. It’s one of the best methods on the market
- 1300 servers in 60 locations – NordVPN’s quick connection is undoubtedly helped by its huge network of servers in a large number of locations. It means customers can be certain of connecting to a server in the UK to watch Channel 4 abroad
- 30 day money back guarantee – Should, for whatever reason, NordVPN customers not find their service satisfactory, they offer a 30 day money back guarantee
- $11.95 per month for one month
- $6.99 per month for twelve months
- $3.99 per month for two years
PrivateVPN, though not as sleek looking as some of its competitors, provides a very able VPN to its customers due to a number of excellent features.
- Wide amount of locations – PrivateVPN has a large network so customers can connect easily. That being said, it only has two servers in the UK which can sometimes slow down a customer’s chances of connecting to watch Channel 4 outside the UK
- Quick servers – Its servers are all lightning quick so when you do connect to a UK server to stream Channel 4, there will be no buffering or pixelation
- Safe and secure – Given its name, PrivateVPN has a number of ways of maintaining its users’ privacy
- Competitively priced – At under four bucks for a 13 month subscription, it’s well priced for the service it delivers
- $7.67 for one month
- $5.25 per month for three months
- $3.88 for thirteen months today
SaferVPN is literally one of the safest VPNs out there. It’s the perfect choice for those that want to ensure they have the most secure streaming session possible.
- Water tight encryption – SaferVPN is one of the safest VPNs on the market due to its 256 bit AES encryption and OpenVPN protocol. This helps users remain untraceable
- Large network with many server locations – Customers can be confident that they can watch their favorite Channel 4 show whenever they want with a large network of servers in many locations, ensuring a connection is always available
- Prioritizes customer safety – Along with its water-tight encryption, customer safety is a priority at SaferVPN so users can be happy in the knowledge that when they are watching Channel 4 online outside of the UK, their identity and personal data remain safe
- 30 day money back guarantee – SaferVPN offers a 30 day money guarantee with its service
- $10.99 per month for one month
- $5.49 per month for a year
- $3.29 per month for two years
Can I Watch Channel 4 Abroad For Free?
You can, but we don’t recommend it. Free VPNs for streaming Channel 4 will always leave users disappointed.
Not only do free VPNs come at the expense of user security – the providers don’t put the same level of encryption software in place, plus they are likely to sell logs of your online activity – they also don’t have the capacity to provide a reliable connection speed.
Streaming Channel 4 live or watching through 4oD is therefore almost impossible, as content will be constantly buffered and/or pixelated.
Can I Stream Channel 4 Live With A Proxy?
Proxies do not provide a reliable way to watch Channel 4 outside the UK. They also do not come with the whole host of extra security features that a VPN does.
They work in a similar way – by giving users the appearance of a new IP address but that is where the similarities end.
Additionally, many websites like Channel 4, are aware of the server addresses that proxies provide, so access is usually banned anyway.
When you want a reliable, consistent way to watch your favorite Channel 4 TV series, using a proxy is not a good option, as you will sometimes find yourself unable to access the video content you want to see.
The Best Way To Access Channel 4 On Demand Outside The UK
ExpressVPN is the way to go to watch Channel 4 on demand outside the UK.
It provides a service that users can rely on to work when they need it to. It is an inexpensive, yet quality VPN that is easy to use and ensures you never miss your favorite Channel 4 programs.