How to Unblock Twitch with a VPN in 2019
Twitch has taken over the gaming world – and for good reason!
The platform provides an online resort where gamers can watch, connect and share with like-minded members all across the globe. It hosts some of the biggest online events and attracts millions of users a day.
If you’re struggling to gain access, we’ve detailed some insider secrets to unblock Twitch and join the party!
Why is Twitch Blocked?
Unfortunately, some can’t access the popular platform and regularly miss out on anticipated tournaments and releases. If you’re facing this problem, there are a few reasons why it may be happening.
- Geo-blocking. Countries with high internet censorship regularly block social media platforms, such as Twitch, because they aren’t able to control the content. If you’re located in a place that imposes online blocks, then it’s likely the reason for denied access.
- Network blocks. Certain establishments and organizations that use internal networks may put blocks on live streaming sites. This problem is most relevant for those in college or work. If watching gaming streams are not deemed appropriate for your education/job, you may have a hard time getting Twitch.tv unblocked at school or work.
- IP bans. Twitch has a frustrating practice of banning the IP addresses of users Twitch believes have infringed their terms of service. Unfortunately, these blanket blocks often affect the innocent. If you live with roommates, for example, then any violation will block all users from the platform. Similarly, rogue hackers can hijack your connection and leave you to deal with the fallout.
It’s not just a complete denial of access that could prevent you freely enjoying Twitch; reduction in service quality is also a common complaint.
Your ISP is Throttling your Twitch Experience
If you have chronic problems with loading and streaming, but the platform isn’t entirely blocked, it’s likely your ISP is throttling Twitch. The primary cause for this is that some providers block Twitch DNS servers. Most commonly, it happens within institutions – e.g., campuses and workplaces. However, as ISPs are given more scope to dictate your web access, it may become an increasingly common occurrence, purely for commercial reasons.
To confirm whether this is an issue, you can do a simple speed test. Check your overall bandwidth against the speed of Twitch specifically. If there’s a notable difference between the two, then it’s likely that throttling is occurring.
While all of these issues can be incredibly frustrating if you’re a dedicated gamer, it’s not the end of the world. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to watch Twitch, unblocked and with no throttling.
Best VPN Services For Twitch
ExpressVPN is one of the most established and trusted services on the market, and our top-rated Twitch VPN. With over 20 years experience, they continually bring users a robust and reliable service, without the hassle of complex additional features. The speed, encryption, and core security measures are consistent with premium quality, and the company works hard to provide customers with smooth and discreet protection. Read our review on ExpressVPN >>
- 99% uptime guarantee promises an uninterrupted stream, so you’ll never miss important life moments
- 24hr instant customer support allows problems to be resolved quickly and efficiently
- Split tunneling allows you to bypass Twitch restrictions while retaining access to the local web on other sites
- $12.95 per month
- $6.67pm with an annual membership – plus, an extra three months free!
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN has excelled in establishing itself as one of the most secure VPNs around. Alongside a dependable core service, it offers a plethora of additional features with your online safety in mind. NordVPN users can customize their VPN experience to ensure they get the best from the product, making it another fantastic VPN for Twitch. Read our review on NordVPN >>
- Optimized servers allow users to find the best speeds for streaming with no annoying buffering or loading
- DoubleVPN is essential to ensure anonymity if you’re located in a country with strict censorship laws
- Compatible on over 20 platforms and, with six simultaneous connections available, it can be used on all your devices
- $11.95 per month
- $6.99pm with an annual subscription
- $3.99pm for a two-year package
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Though IPVanish is very rarely cited as the ‘best VPN,’ it offers some impressive features that make it ideal for gamers. It’s easy to configure the product using the optimized servers, to ensure your Twitch experience runs as smoothly as possible. IPVanish also boasts impressive speeds, never dropping beneath 10MBps so that you can stream with no interruptions or lags. Read our review on IPVanish >>
- Dedicated servers for both gaming and streaming, to ensure top speeds on all your favorite activities
- Fast enough to stream HD with no issues
- 256-bit AES encryption for security while you stream
- $10.00 per month
- $6.49pm with an annual subscription
- 7-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN is a reliable option for users of any kind. However, it notably excels in bringing customers complex configuration options to guarantee a premium speed. While they only offer a few server locations, there are more than enough to secure Twitch access if you’re battling geo-blocking. Read our review on PrivateVPN >>
- The ‘Connection Guard’ is an optimized kill switch, which you can assign specifically to Twitch, without losing connection elsewhere
- The ‘High-Quality Network’ servers promise premium speeds that can tackle HD streaming efficiently
- Company transparency means it’s easy to find out about server locations and potential restrictions
- 25% off all subscriptions
- $8.21 per month
- $4.15pm with an annual subscription – plus, an extra month free!
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
How Does it Work
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an incredibly handy software package that affords users numerous benefits. For those struggling to access Twitch, it provides an instant solution.
A VPN works by diverting your traffic through a proxy server, usually based in another country. Subsequently, when you connect to Twitch, it appears that you’re accessing it from the secondary location. The other benefit is that this protocol assigns the user a new IP address so, if you’re subject to an IP ban, you can regain access instantly.
It is possible to find a free VPN for Twitch, but they come with notable drawbacks. The speed is rarely sufficient to stream with ease, and you are liable to experience connection drops – which must be avoided at all cost if you’re in a country with strict online censorship and surveillance.
Fortunately, we have compiled a list of the best VPN for Twitch, and most offer a free trial or money-back guarantee – so you can use the service for free for up to 30 days.
Twitch burst onto our screens in 2011 as a branch of popular streaming service, Justin.tv. The platform focused mainly on video games and quickly amassed over 45 million users. The success was so great that Justin.tv renamed their company accordingly, before selling to Amazon for a considerable amount in 2014.
Fast-forward to the present day and the Twitch network has more than doubled. Today, it boasts 2 million monthly broadcasters and over 100 million viewers. This incredible rise in popularity seems shocking for a platform that hosts no celebrity content or internet sensations.
So just why is Twitch so popular? According to most, the success is due to the social network element of the service. Instead of just streaming, users can interact with other gamers and form communities. Similarly, the diverse content and features are enough to attract players of all kinds.
eSports regularly stream live tournaments, alongside individual users own gameplay, and many channels do speedruns of new releases. You can also watch talk shows, live art, and performances. The 2015 addition of the ‘IRL’ channel lets members stream pretty much anything. Watchers have to power to comment, subscribe and ‘emote’ – the platform’s answer to emojis – as well as create their own channels.
Twitch is available on most platforms, including:
Currently, Twitch holds an impressive monopoly. It’s only direct competitor, Hitbox.tv, has an audience less than a tenth of the size. While other services, such as YouTube and Ustream, feature similar content, neither is curated for gamers specifically.
Twitch is an online domain that has become integral to every gamers experience. It hosts some of the world’s most significant gaming events and allows users to develop an intimate relationship with their favorite creators and communities. No-one should be denied access to this behemoth of gaming culture. And – using a VPN – this belief can become a reality.
Once you’ve unblocked Twitch.tv using a VPN, you’ll enjoy unrestricted access to all your favorite channels, streams, content creators and videos.
We recommend ExpressVPN for Twitch, as its veteran status promises a reliable and trustworthy service that will guarantee you continued access.