The Best VPN for Qatar to Access Blocked Sites and Services
For those who are currently in Qatar, you are probably painfully aware that a great deal of the internet is being blocked or banned. This can range from simply wanting to watch a Netflix show to finding that porn in Qatar is impossible to view.
A VPN for Qatar is a simple workaround. They allow much freer and safer use of the internet to view sites that would be otherwise blocked.
From our testing, The Best VPN For Qatar is NordVPN.
How To Access Blocked Sites in Qatar
A VPN is really the only way to go to watched blocked content in Qatar. But how exactly does it work?
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network that works by masking your IP address location and giving you a new one – thus giving the illusion that you are in another country where either censorship laws are not so strict, or content is not subject to geo-restrictions (like many Netflix shows).
Once you have connected to your Qatar VPN provider, your connection sends traffic through another, alternative server that is based in another country. This is how you are given a new IP address.
Your original location, and any online activity you partake in, is hidden because your initial connection to the alternative VPN server is encrypted. You no longer look like you are in the country you are in, (in this case, Qatar) so you are no longer at the mercy of Qatar laws.
It also means that any websites you visit during your time with the VPN turned on, register your location as that of the alternative VPN server, instead of your actual location.
What to Look For in a VPN
To make sure you’re getting the best VPN for Qatar, and to ensure that you can use the internet as quickly and efficiently as you would elsewhere in the world, there are a few criteria to look for:
Speed – A high connection speed will allow you to stream TV and watch videos in the very best definition with no buffering.
Reliability – While it is frustrating to have the connection drop out in the middle of watching a TV show, it can also leave you open to the risk of your identity being revealed while you are viewing content. Having a reliable VPN in Qatar that has maximum uptime is extremely important, so that you cannot be monitored.
Strong Encryption – Your privacy is of the utmost importance. Having a strong encryption system in place will uphold your anonymity at all times to help avoid government monitoring.
Additional Security – Look out for additional security features, like a kill switch, that help maintain your privacy further.
Innovation – Due to the grey area that VPN providers seem to operate in, in terms of the law (of any country), it is good to look to a VPN provider that is constantly innovating to help you maintain connection by circumnavigating issues that might get in the way of your ability to browse the net freely.
Customer Support – While for the most part VPNs are easy to use, providers that have excellent customer support are a huge help for the times users just can’t get their technology to work.
The following providers scored the highest cumulatively after we put them to the test.
The Best VPNs for Qatar
NordVPN is another great option for a using a VPN in Qatar, and is almost as good as Express VPN!
- Tunnel to tunnel encryption – this is one of the best levels of security that a VPN provider can offer. It means that you can use NordVPN to watch porn in Qatar or any other blocked content without fear of being caught
- Multiple device connection – NordVPN allows up to 6 devices to be connected at a time so customers do not need to purchase multiple subscription plans
- 30-day money back guarantee – NordVPN Qatar gives customers its money back after 30 days if they not happy with the services
Reasons for Caution:
It takes a while to find a server at good running speed, so it is not as immediate a connection as ExpressVPN. We still give it an 8 out of 10 though.
Price: As low as $2.99 a month
ExpressVPN is the fastest, most reliable connection you’ll find with VPN software.
- Fast connection speeds – lets you start watching the shows you want, quickly
- Large bandwidth – you won’t suffer from any freezing or buffering that can be so frustrating when streaming TV in Qatar or watching videos
- Customer service – there is a live chat function as well as an email help desk available 24 hours a day should anything go wrong. They aim to get back to you within 30 minutes
- Multiple devices – ExpressVPN works on all WiFi-enabled devices and can be used on more than one at a time so that you do not have to buy or subscribe to multiple plans
- Vast amount of server locations – this means that any geo-restricted content is available to its customers
- Zero logs – by not keeping information on its customers, ExpressVPN cannot hand over any data to government authorities when asked, thus upholding customer privacy
- 30-day money back guarantee – if our best VPN for Qatar does not work for you, you can get your money back!
Price: As low as$6.67 per month for twelve months plus three months free
Surfshark is market leading VPN provider for good reason. It’s a dream to use whilst living or traveling in Qatar
- Multiple Device Connectivity – Surfshark not only works with a variety of operating systems and devices, it also does not impose any restrictions on the amount of devices you can connect to its servers at any time.
- Unlimited bandwidth – So many VPN providers put a cap on the amount of data a subscriber can use in any one month. Surfshark does not so that users in Qatar do not need to fear nearing their limit by binge-watching box sets from their favorite streaming service.
- Vast network – Not all content that is blocked is made in the US. This means that for Qatari users to be able to unblock other content that still suffers from restrictions, the VPN provider needs to have a a large number of server locations around the globe. Surfshark has servers in over 50 countries.
- No logs policy – For a VPN provider to be truly dedicated to its customers’ privacy, which is imperative for Qatari subscribers, it needs to maintain a no logs policy. Surfshark maintains a strict one, as standard.
- 30-day money back guarantee – If a user does not like Surfshark for any reason, the company has a no quibble money back guarantee in place.
Reasons for caution: The company only uses static IP addresses so some website and content providers can recognize if an IP address is from a VPN provider or not.
Price: As low as $1.99
PureVPN’s Gulf VPN server network delivers a particularly high performance, making speeds high.
- High-speed connections – this must-have feature for a VPN provider in Qatar, is very much present in PureVPN. Buffer free browsing makes it a pleasure to use
- Reliable – as well as being quick, you can be certain that you can connect to PureVPN’s servers each and every time and without fear of a dropped connection that exposes your identity
- Excellent privacy features – along with a reliable connection, PureVPN has a stringent approach to its security policies so that its users can browse the web in relative peace
- Varied server location – Unusually, PureVPN has servers in the Qatar area like the UAE, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain, as well as other more expected locations around the world
- 7-day money back guarantee
Reasons for caution:
The application itself looks a little clunky, but, importantly, it otherwise offers a consistent service.
Price: As low as $2.80 a month
HideMyAss is a fast VPN that keeps you streaming and gaming without any lags or delays.
- Servers in almost 200 countries (with 2 in Qatar itself) – having a wide range of locations for servers allows for access to any sites from any domain. This is particularly great if you simply trying to watch geo-restricted content on Netflix or similar
- Military grade encryption protocols – safe browsing in Qatar can be assured with HideMyAss and their market leading approach to customer security
- Live chat support function with email help if needed – any problems HideMyAss customers have are answered quickly and efficiently
- 30-day money back guarantee – if the service you receive is less than you had hoped for while in Qatar, HideMyAss will give you your money back after 30 days – no questions asked
Price: As low as $4.99 a month
Is It Legal To Use a VPN in Qatar?
Downloading and using a VPN in Qatar is not illegal, so customers cannot be prosecuted for having one on their computer or other devices. However, viewing banned content is against the law and Qatari citizens can be charged for doing so. Additionally, accessing content that is unavailable for geographical copyright laws is also illegal.
VPNs are still widely used in Qatar, however, owing to their ability to hide a user’s identity. This minimizes the risk of accessing content as anonymity will largely be upheld. This is why it is important to use a reliable VPN provider in Qatar and the wider region. It is also a good idea to have the application downloaded before entering the country.
Why Are XXX Sites Blocked In Qatar?
Censorship in Qatar and the wider region is in line with the country’s religious and political views. Like most of the Gulf states, it takes censorship very seriously.
The manner in which Qatar enforces its censorship laws is a bit different to its Gulf neighbours, however. The government has deemed it the responsibility of the Qatar internet providers to ban certain web pages.
Up until 2006, the almost sole provider, Qatar Telecom, otherwise known as Qtel, was wholly responsible for upholding the law by monitoring internet usage by its customers.
Qtel is now called Ooderoo and along with other providers still helps enforce the laws, though the Qatari government has relaxed them a little. For instance, Qataris have been able to access Netflix since 2016 which may sound insignificant but is quite a big step closer to a free web that Westerners largely enjoy.
Sites That Are Banned In Qatar
- LGBTQ+ Content
- Privacy Tools
- Dating sites
- Escort Services
- Sexual Health Information
- Dating & Escort Services
- Gay Pornography
- Sites Critical of Political Regime
- Skype & FaceTime
- Psychology Magazines
- Google Duo
The media has an element of self-regulation on top of the stringent censorship laws as well. This means that journalists know not to touch on certain ideas, and therefore may not always be reporting the whole truth.
Furthermore, it is thought that Qtel has the ability to read messages on anyone’s computer. This largely points to a bigger national surveillance program, which Qatar VPN users should at least be aware.
Is There A Good Free Qatar VPN?
It is definitely possible to download and use a free Qatar VPN to browse the net with more freedom. However, to offer a service for free, compromises must come into play for the company to stay afloat. Using a free Qatar VPN is not a good idea for several reasons:
Slow speeds – Your streaming or browsing session will be subject to pixelated imagery and buffering.
Security issues – This is perhaps the main reason a free Qatar VPN should never be used. To make any type of revenue, free VPN providers will often sell their customers’ data and information.
Poor reliability – Even when accessing slow connection speeds, that very connection is likely to drop out.
In short, if you use a free VPN in Qatar, you’re not only likely to have a poor streaming session and you risk exposing your identity to authorities.
Is It Safe To Use A VPN For Qatar XXX Sites?
While any Qatar VPN user will be taking on a risk by accessing blocked sites that contain banned content, the VPNs we have recommended have stringent privacy settings that should give a high level of identity protection.
But, due to Qatar’s increasing popularity within the expat world, the government is coming under more and more pressure to uphold its standards when it comes to content it deems immoral or illegal.
A VPN will give you all the freedom you need to watch what you want to watch or read what you want to read – but being smart with this freedom is always a good idea.
We recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for Qatar due to its premium encryption, anonymous sign-ups, and affordable price.