Best VPN for YouTube in 2018
YouTube is, by far, the largest video sharing site on the internet. Since its conception in 2005, it has exploded as both a social network and streaming site. It now rates as the second most visited website in the world – after Google. (And now Google owns YouTube – purchased in 2006 for $1.65 billion!)
A quick glance at the 2018 metrics and it’s clear why YouTube ranks so high. As of this year, it boasts 1.3 billion users, with 4 billion videos watched every day! Plus, it’s constantly expanding. Every minute, 300 hours of additional content is uploaded – a dramatic leap for the 60 hours/min recorded in 2011.
Today, YouTube is a platform that creates celebrities and millionaires on a daily basis. It allows fans intimate access to the lives of their favorite vloggers and encourages interaction from users all around the globe.
Unfortunately, not every video is available to those who visit the site.
Why Can’t I Access All YouTube Videos?
Even if you live in a country with relatively free internet, it’s not uncommon to find that individual videos are blocked. There are numerous reasons this problem could arise.
- Copyright Laws govern most content. Videos are deemed intellectual property and websites must attain licenses to play the material. These come with several restrictions; one of the most common is geographical location. As other platforms may have paid to host the content exclusively, YouTube would be liable for breaching this clause.
- Hate Speech online is often governed by legislation. What is viewed as ethically appropriate in one place, may be banned entirely in another. This factor also applies to age restrictions on content. YouTube is responsible for ensuring it isn’t breaking national laws.
- National Security has risen in relevancy over recent years. Governments are increasingly monitoring the online world to try and stamp out political agitation that threatens the status quo. As terrorism remains a pertinent fear, social media platforms are forced to mitigate controversial content.
YouTube is often also blocked by individual establishments – such as businesses, schools, and government offices.
How to Unblock YouTube Using a VPN
Fortunately, no matter the reason you can’t access content, it’s easy to unblock YouTube wherever you are. Virtual Private Networks (VPN) are popular proxy software that allows users to bypass geo-blocking restrictions while increasing security and anonymity when surfacing. For unlimited watching potential, follow this step-by-step guide.
- Choose a VPN that most suits your needs. Be sure it’s active in your country and offers proficient features to overcome the blocks – we have detailed the required factors and recommended some of the best below.
- Visit the website of your chosen VPN provider.
- Create an account with username and password.
- Pick a price plan and click to purchase.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install.
- Log-in using your account details.
- Choose a server in an alternate country – opt for a place with limited copyright laws and internet censorship.
- Try to play the YouTube video you want to watch.
- If the content is still blocked, you may have to experiment with a few different server locations until you find one that grants access.
Not all VPNs are created equal, so it’s important to choose a top-quality provider to guarantee a proficient service.
Find the Best VPN for YouTube
Now you know how to unblock YouTube videos, all that’s left is to choose the best VPN provider for you. To find the best companies for bypassing YouTube blocks, we looked for the following factors:
- Vast Server Network. To quickly find a server that allows access to the video, a server network that spans numerous countries is required – the bigger, the better!
- Speed & Reliability. For an uninterrupted stream, without buffering or glitches, a fast and reliable service is essential. Poor quality VPNs often lose connection, which makes video-watching extremely frustrating.
- Active Customer Support. All technology is liable to faults. Especially for new users, a responsive customer service will help find quick and straightforward solutions.
- Strong Encryption. As breaching copyright is illegal in many places, it’s important to find a VPN that will encrypt your data and protect your identity.
- No Bandwidth Limitations. The last thing you want is a VPN that will stop working because you hit the bandwidth caps. The best VPNs for YouTube will have no limit.
- Flexible Price Plan. Tiered pricing and money-back guarantees allow users to find a service that works for you.
ExpressVPN is our top choice for YouTube VPN. It’s a trusted service with first-class capabilities, ranking well in speed, reliability, and security. It boasts numerous server locations and comprehensive customer support, to guarantee YouTube access every time.
- Servers in 94 countries for a broad scope of connections to bypass blocks.
- Simple user interface means you can switch servers with ease.
- Consistently fast speeds for a seamless stream.
- Live chat customer service with fast response time.
- $12.95 per month.
- $6.67pm with an annual membership – plus, an extra three months free!
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find more information on ExpressVPN review.
If you live somewhere with strict copyright laws, NordVPN is the best choice. Alongside providing proficient geo-blocking capacities, it offers numerous privacy protocols, to keep your identity secret. With multiple servers that are easily customizable, you can watch YouTube with complete peace of mind.
- Significant additional security guarantees anonymity when watching.
- Over 1,500 servers in a variety of places, to ensure no queuing for connection.
- Dedicated servers for streaming, to improve the user experience.
- $11.95 per month.
- $5.74pm with an annual subscription
- $3.39pm for a two-year package
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN is a fantastic backup option, should the others fail to bypass blocks. Although its server network is not as big, it still provides more than enough choice to watch YouTube with no limitations. It’s an excellent choice for new users, as a technician can remotely install and configure the client for optimum efficiency.
- Currently offering 25% discount on all price plans.
- Available for numerous platforms, including easily downloadable mobile apps.
- Easy-to-use interface & remote installation available– ideal for beginners.
- $8.21 per month
- $4.15pm with an annual subscription – plus, an extra month free!
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
My Country Blocks YouTube, Can I Still Access with a VPN?
In some countries, YouTube is blocked altogether due to political motives. While individual reasons for the ban vary considerably, it is still possible to unblock YouTube videos online no matter the cause. VPNs are regularly used in countries with strict censorship laws, as they let users circumvent restrictions while ensuring their privacy is protected.
If you want to access YouTube with a VPN in one of these places, the above steps will still work. However, it is worth noting that some countries with harsh online restrictions have made the use of VPNs illegal. It is still possible, but it’s essential to proceed with caution and research the extra safeguards needed to maintain your privacy and avoid detection.
Can I Use a Free VPN for YouTube?
You may be inclined to opt for a free VPN to unblock YouTube videos. While some services may grant temporary access, it’s likely that you’ll experience connection drops. Plus, very few free providers offer speeds that can handle streaming, particularly if you’re watching videos in HD. Perhaps most poignantly, these VPNs cannot guarantee your privacy. So, even if you do gain access to blocked content, you are at risk of persecution for bypassing copyright or censorship laws.
If you want to use a free VPN service, then we recommend taking advantage of the free trial and money-back guarantee periods offered by premium VPN providers.
Are YouTube Proxy Websites OK to Use?
YouTube proxy websites are sufficient for bypassing content but come with some notable drawbacks. They differ from a VPN as they re-route your still visible traffic via a different domain, rather than creating a new data tunnel completely. Because of this, you don’t enjoy the same privacy benefits.
Even the best YouTube proxy won’t provide encryption.
We only advise using YouTube proxy sites if you are trying to access content that is not technically illegal in your country. Otherwise, you are liable for persecution – which could result in a hefty fine or even jail time in some countries.
Enjoy Unlimited YouTube Access with No Risk
With so many reasons for video bans, most of us will run into content blocks at some point on YouTube. Fortunately, thanks to VPN software, we are no longer restricted by limitations out of our control. Anyone, anywhere in the world, can enjoy all the great content YouTube has to offer, simply by signing up to a VPN service.
We recommend ExpressVPN as our top VPN for YouTube, thanks to its all-around premium service and trusted reputation!