3 Best VPNs for Netherlands in 2019
When you’re accessing the Internet in the Netherlands, like with many countries, you are potentially putting yourself at risk for your information to be stolen by hackers. Additionally, your activities online could be monitored. By using a VPN service, you can protect yourself from those who may try to steal your information. A VPN provides you with a secure “tunnel” for your connection that keeps out hackers and anyone trying to monitor what you’re doing online.
Furthermore, while the Netherlands has fairly liberal laws when it comes to what content be viewed by its residents on the internet, it will still suffer from a number of geo-restrictions that are in place. A VPN is a great way around those blocks due to the new provision of an alternative IP address that allows access to blocked content.
Websites are able to block users by reading their IP address to determine what country they are in. If it’s a country where that content is allowed, a browser can access it. If a browser does not have a location that is permissible, the website blocks it. By having a new one provided by a VPN connection, users can access any content they want due to the illusion of being elsewhere.
Top 3 VPNs for the Netherlands
Given that VPNs are so useful therefore, it makes sense to use one at all times when connected to the internet in the Netherlands. However, the market for them can be extremely overwhelming. Here are a few of the most popular VPN services on the web right now, and some of their pros and cons to help you sort through which companies are worth subscribing to.
For beginner and veteran users of VPN services alike, ExpressVPN is definitely the best choice out there. They have a wide range of server locations, so no matter where you need protection, chances are this company has your back. However, there are a whole host of other reasons it is fantastic for use in the Netherlands.
- Fast connections – ExpressVPN’s reputation for connection speed and dependability is the best out there. This is particularly nice if you’re a fan of streaming Netflix or Hulu.
- Market-leading customer service – If you’re a little intimidated by the concept of VPNs, don’t worry. Express VPN has an excellent customer service department. Not only is their live chat and email support available 24/7, but they even respond to most emails in around 30 minutes. So whenever you use a VPN in Holland, you’ll be able to get answers to queries at any time often should you have one.
- 30-day money back guarantee – Not only do they offer a rock-solid 30-day money back guarantee, but they also have a great referral program. If you refer a friend and they sign up, you both get 30 days of service, totally free. For those living in Holland and are trying out VPN services for the first time, a full refund can be reassuring. They also have an incredible deal where you get 3 months free if you sign up for the 15-month deal, making it really affordable
- Watertight security– In addition, their encryption service is some of the best around, and they never log your activity, so your privacy is guaranteed. Going online in The Netherlands should not be a scary prospect.
- Multi-device compatibility– If you use a variety of devices, don’t worry, because Express VPN is not only compatible with them all, but can be used on more than one simultaneously. So go ahead, post pictures of yourself at Vondelpark while you listen to Pandora.
The bottom line is, ExpressVPN is definitely the most dependable and user-friendly VPN service on the market.
Price: Starting from as low as $6.67
- Fantastic Features – You will not be bombarded with difficult-to-understand options, but that doesn’t mean TunnelBear doesn’t offer its users amazing features. You have GhostBear which will add an extra layer of security so that your VPN is unrecognizable. With this, you can get around barriers like the great Firewall of China. There’s also VigilantBear, a kill switch that will kill your internet connection as soon as your VPN connection drops in order to protect your sensitive information. You can also connect up to five different devices to the one TunnelBear subscription.
Price: Starting from as low as $4.99
If you want more information about TunnelBear, read our full TunnelBear online review here.
HideMyAss has been a popular VPN provider for a while now and we continue to rate it highly too. While it is simply not as good as ExpressVPN or even IPVanish, if those VPN providers are not an option for you for whatever reason, try giving HideMyAss a go. One of its most standout features is the fact that it has such a large server network that the company has strategically placed all over the world. This makes unblocking content when in the Netherlands easy to do, especially given that those servers are in over 150 locations worldwide. It has been said, that despite this large network, that HideMyAss connection speeds can be a little slow at times. However, we did not find it frustratingly slow by any means.
Other features that make HideMyAss a very viable alternative are:
- Excellent customer support department – Given that VPNs can be quite technical sometimes, it’s great to see a VPN provider that has a fantastic customer support department on hand to help out its users as and when they need. HideMyAss’s department is open 24/7 so you can always contact someone should you require assistance.
- Multi-software compatibility – Like IPVanish, HideMyAss has ensured that its software can be used in conjunction with any device that runs on any type of software. Given that we are all likely to be using several types of gadget on any given day, this is a fantastic reassurance to know that we can use the security of a VPN on all of them.
Price: Starting from as low as $4.99
The Privacy Laws and Regulations of the Netherlands
While you’re busy exploring and site-seeing in the Netherlands, your Internet privacy and security may be the last thing on your mind.
However, no matter what continent you’re on, you have the potential to become the victim of an online crime, like identity theft.
In addition, some countries (the Netherlands included) log up to 6 months of Internet data for users.
Though there is currently no censorship in this country, the very fact that they can keep records of your Internet activity is reason enough to look into a means of protecting yourself.
You can use a VPN to safeguard your information, as well as anonymize your Internet browsing, so what you do on the Internet in the Netherlands is nobody’s business but your own.
However, remember, that while using a VPN in the Netherlands is completely legal and above board, the online activity you partake in still has to be legitimate to stay on the right side of the law. If the activity that you do conduct is illegal, you will be subject to the punishments that the Netherlands has in place should you be caught.
Streaming Dutch Content When Abroad
Another benefit of a VPN is that you don’t have to suffer from geo restrictions and blocked content when you go abroad. By using your VPN subscription overseas to establish a connection to a Dutch server for a Dutch IP address, you can still access and view your favorite shows and movies from your home country. The result is that you stay up to date with any TV series that you are currently addicted to.
With respect to Dutch TV in particular, once you have established your Dutch server connection, you can watch any Dutch TV show through Newon TV. This means you can access NPO and other local broadcasters. If you pay a premium on top of Newon TV’s basic package you can watch other TV channels like RTL4, RTL5, BBC One and Two, CNN, National Geographic, MTV, Comedy Central, Veronica and more.
The Bottom Line
The Netherlands is an amazing place to travel to. With all of the architecture, museums, and parks, the last thing you want to worry about is internet security while you’re booking theater tickets.
However, being a tourist often makes people targets for all kinds of pick-pocketing, and that has in recent years extended to online criminals as well.
As you’re paying for hotel reservations, or checking your email, you’re opening yourself up to the threat of having your information stolen, and your activity monitored.
However, by using a really reliable VPN service as ExpressVPN, you:
- can surf securely on a private network
- have your IP address blocked, so a server can’t see your geographic location
- get all of your data encrypted, so even if intercepted, you’re still protected
For the best online protection money can buy in the Netherlands, get ExpressVPN today.