Best Popcorn Time VPN
Popcorn Time is one of the leading ways to stream video content online. However, it can leave you vulnerable to privacy issues and put your personal details at risk. It can also be blocked entirely, depending on where you are located.
Using a VPN to unblock Popcorn Time protects you while streaming the latest TV shows and movies online, and allows you access if you’re in a location where it is banned or restricted.
By encrypting your internet usage you won’t be traced and can use Popcorn Time without fear of being caught out. But the legal controversy is very real, we take a look at ways around those issues.
How To Unblock Popcorn Time With a VPN
This how to guide is for using a VPN to unblock Popcorn Time on a desktop or laptop computer.
- Once you’ve signed up with a VPN service, download and open their client application.
- Sign in with the details you were given when you first signed up.
- You’ll now have to choose a server location for your VPN. If you’re located in a country that blocks Popcorn Time, (such as the UK), pick a server in a different region to gain access.
- Download Popcorn Time directly from their website: https://popcorntime.sh/
- Open the application, and you’ll be ready to begin watching content safely.
Why Do You Need a VPN In For Popcorn Time?
Popcorn Time gives you access to all the latest shows and movies, and isn’t geo-restricted either; meaning that you can access it from all over the world. As Popcorn Time uses torrents to share files between users, the legality of using it depends on your country of origin.
To use it without fear of legal problems, you’ll need to boost your privacy. Because Popcorn Time shows programs and TV shows through unofficial means, users need to be sure that online activity is not tracked.
For instance, in countries such as the US and the UK, companies are employed to police the use of torrents via trackers and various other methods. It could lead to a cease and desist letter from your ISP, while Australia has the ability to impose heavy fines on those it catches downloading illegal files.
If you want to take the risk, you’ll need to arm yourself with an anonymous VPN for Popcorn Time – something that the site itself actually suggests to its users with a Popcorn Time VPN warning as you enter the site.
A VPN will mask your connection or change your location, so it should get you past any blocks or safeguards you’ll find online. The best VPNs also keep no logs of your data, so there won’t be any records of your torrent use in the first place.
How Does A VPN Work With Popcorn Time?
Using a VPN, or Virtual Private Network, means that you are encrypting the data that you send and receive when streaming content from Popcorn Time. Therefore, while in some countries it is against the law to stream content through unofficial sources, with a VPN you are protected.
When you connect to a VPN your activity can’t be traced. Whatever you are streaming can only be tracked to the server you’re connected to, and this server is hosted in another country and away from your own computer.
If you want to get access to the latest films and TV shows that Popcorn Time offers, then you need to use a VPN to encrypt your internet connection, and make sure that your activity can’t be traced by anyone.
Watching Popcorn Time without a VPN is not recommended. In short, this is because a VPN will:
- Allow you to connect to a server in a different location/country
- Change and mask your IP address
- Make browsing anonymous
- Allow you to safely watch a Popcorn Time torrent without fear of being tracked
Best VPN for Popcorn Time
We have rated and reviewed all the VPNs on the market to find the top ones for torrenting Popcorn Time.
For a VPN to make our list, we looked for the following features that make the best VPN for Popcorn Time:
- Kill Switch – If the VPN unexpectedly drops its connection, a kill switch will enable all traffic to be halted until a secure connection is re-established
- Unlimited bandwidth – this will give you free reign to stream and download as much content from Popcorn Time as you please, with higher quality
- Fast speed – Fast speeds means not suffering slow downloads or having Popcorn Time movies interrupted with an annoying lag. A VPN with a fast speed is, therefore, essential as without a quick connection, a VPN is useless.
- Strong encryption – when it comes to the grey area of torrenting, a VPN with strong encryption techniques is required. This means that connections are totally private and downloads cannot be read by third parties.
- No connection logs – the best VPN providers do not log their customers’ online traffic or personal information. As a result, they are unable to divulge any information to legal inquiries from companies and government authorities.
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN on the market and fully supports P2P sharing and torrenting.
- Top speeds – no provider can match ExpressVPN in terms of connection speed. Along with its unlimited bandwidth, it an ideal choice to unblock Popcorn Time
- Military grade encryption technique – ExpressVPN uses top of the range 256-bit AES encryption to tunnel your network, so users can easily hide their IP address
- No log policy – as needed with all VPNs for Popcorn Time, ExpressVPN ensures users’ traffic isn’t logged due to the strict no-log policy
- $12.95 for a single month
- $9.99/ month for a six-month plan
- $6.67/month for a 15-month plan (including three months free!)
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is yet another VPN that supports P2P sharing making it a suitable VPN for Popcorn time.
- Double encrypted tunnels – with 256-bit AES encryption, NordVPN has some of the strongest privacy protocols out there
- Inbuilt kill switch – making NordVPN very safe to use when torrenting with Popcorn Time
- DNS leak prevention and a strict no logs policy – NordVPN is therefore a trustworthy and secure VPN for all your movie binge needs
- US servers occasionally max out – but with a total of 1,374 to choose from, it’s easy to hop onto another
- NordVPN has very minimal speed loss (5%) making it a great VPN to use for Popcorn Time streaming and torrenting
- $11.95 for a single month
- $9.00/month for a six-month plan
- $6.99/month for a 12-month plan
- Special deal: $3.99/month for a 24-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
HideMyAss remains a popular VPN on the market for good reason. While it does have its drawbacks, it is a reliable VPN for Popcorn Time
- Top-notch encryption – HideMyAss employs 256-bit AES so tunneling is secure
- No kill switch – so if customers log on and suffer a slightly unreliable connection that drops, data and IP can be left exposed
- Not as quick as NordVPN or ExpressVPN, which can result in some slow streaming
- $11.52 for a single month
- $8.33/month for a six-month plan
- $6.56/month for a 12-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee (doesn’t apply if downloaded via Google Play or App Store – read T&C’s for more)
SaferVPN could not make using Popcorn Time any safer!
- No logs policy – SaferVPN explicitly states that they do not withhold IP addresses or hand over data to third parties, meaning it is a perfectly safe VPN to use for torrenting
- Fast and simple to use – resulting in enjoyable streaming sessions through Popcorn Time
- Top encryption levels – SaferVPN uses 256-bit AES along with a kill switch to ensure user privacy
- Unlimited bandwidth – allows users to stream entire movies and series without experiencing any buffering
- 24-hour free trial – users can see if this VPN is perfect for trying out some Popcorn Time movies
- $9.99 for a single month
- $6.99/month for a six-month plan
- $5.99/month for a 12-months plan
- $2.99/month for a two-year plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN prides itself on the protocols it employs to keep its customers’ data secure and anonymous.
- Zero-log policy – PrivateVPN’s zero log policy makes it perfect to use when it comes to anonymity when torrenting
- Basic user interface – but it is simple enough to use and is a reliable service
- 56 country locations – while it has a relatively small network with only 80 servers, it has plenty of location choice. The small network can have repercussions on performance at times, however
- $8.21 for a single month
- $5.63/month for a three-month plan
- $4.15/month for a 13-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
IPVanish is a high-end VPN offering plenty of features to keep its users safe.
- A strict no logs policy – so customers can be sure their information will never be sold
- DNS leak prevention and a killswitch – these two features further protect user privacy with IPVanish for Popcorn Time.
- Strong 256-bit AES encryption levels – a final tick in the box for users’ security, IPVanish employs the best encryption techniques possible
- Extremely fast speeds – IPVanish manages only a 3% speed loss so when it comes to torrenting and streaming from Popcorn Time, it doesn’t get much better
- $10.00 for a single month
- $8.99/month for a three-month plan
- $6.49/month for a 12-month plan billed annually
- 7-day refund policy
Should You Use a Free VPN to Unblock Popcorn Time?
We would strongly advise against using a free VPN to watch Popcorn Time. With a free VPN, you will not be fully protected, leaving you wide open.
A free VPN offers poor encryption levels, and we are yet to come by one that offers a true no-log policy – meaning you will not be torrenting anonymously.
Additionally, the bandwidth is often extremely limited – making streaming and downloading very difficult.
Are VPNs Legal with Popcorn Time?
A VPN is perfectly legal to have on your computer. However, as already stated, it is Popcorn Time itself that is controversial in legal terms.
If unsure about the path you want to take, here are some free and paid legal Popcorn Time alternatives:
The Bottom Line for The Best VPN For Popcorn Time
Due to the legal issues surrounding Popcorn Time, we would strongly suggest that the only way you go about using it, is via a VPN. The VPN we recommend above all others is ExpressVPN.
It is good to remember that Popcorn Time is equivalent to torrenting from The Pirate Bay, even though it looks like a fully legitimate company like Netflix.
If you don’t want to get caught out in a grey area due to downloading potentially copyrighted material, then, without a doubt, always use a secure and anonymous VPN for Popcorn Time.