Best VPN to Unblock Viber in 2019
Many countries ban or restrict the use of Viber and other social messaging apps. So, how can you stay in touch with your friends and family across the world if you live, work or vacation in a region which actively blocks the service?
A VPN for Viber could be the solution, offering a way to bypass any communication restrictions, while keeping you safe from the prying eyes of cyber criminals or authorities.
What is Viber
Viber is the closest competitor to WhatsApp. While WhatsApp has 1.2 billion users, Viber has 800 million. You can make calls and send messages via Wi-Fi or by using the data on your phone. You can also use it on your desktop if you download an app.
But not every country or region is happy for you to use Viber. The voice over internet protocol (VoIP) is blocked or restricted in a number of countries across the world, meaning that its necessary to unblock Viber on iPhone or your other devices before you can take advantage of the service.
What to Look for When Choosing a VPN for Viber
All five of these choices combine speed, security, and choice, to ensure you can unblock Viber with peace of mind. So, what should you look out for in a VPN for Viber? Here are three main considerations:
- Security – It goes without saying that security should be top of your list when looking to unblock Viber in China or any other country where it is banned or restricted. You want to ensure that your chosen Viber VPN has stringent security features so that your activities are kept totally private from authorities’ prying eyes.
- Speed – The best VPNs won’t interfere at all with the speed of your connection, or will actually improve performance. If you’re using Viper to chat to friends and family, you won’t want any delays in your conversation.
- Geographic reach – Another vital consideration is where a VPN provider has servers. If you are trying to use Viper in a country where there are restrictions, you will need to connect to a VPN server in another geographic area.
Best VPNs to Unblock Viber in 2019
ExpressVPN is widely-regarded as one of the fastest, most reliable and secure VPN providers on the market.
The service has military-grade encryption technology, making ExpressVPN a top choice if you need to bypass blocks and restrictions put in place, such as wanting to unblock Viber in China or if you are trying to use Viber in UAE. There’s a kill switch, so that even if your VPN connection does unexpectedly drop out, your Viber activity will not be revealed.
Not only that, but ExpressVPN does not keep any logs of your activity so you don’t have to worry about any data being handed over to the authorities.
- ExpressVPN is $12.95 per month. But the cost reduces significantly if you take out a longer plan. It is $9.99 per month for six months, and $6.67 per month with a yearly subscription, as there is currently a special offer giving you three months extra free. There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN is another great option to unblock Viber. It also has fast speeds, so you can be assured that you can carry on your Viber conversation in real time.
Plus, there is a strong emphasis on security, which can be an important option to you if you are messaging sensitive information, or you live in a country where Viber is restricted.
There is leak protection and a kill switch so no one will be able to see you were using Viber, even if the VPN connection drops. NordVPN has servers in more than 60 countries so you can choose a geographic location where Viber is available to use.
- Nord VPN is a very affordable option. If you take out a two-year plan, it costs just $3.29 per month. Plus, if you want to be sure that you are choosing the right Viber VPN there is a 30-day money-back guarantee.
HideMyAss has one of the widest server networks of any VPN provider, with a presence in more than 190 countries. So, you’ll definitely be able to connect to a region where Viber is allowed.
There is an automatic function so that when you turn on your device, you can be sure that the VPN will run automatically. This takes away any risk that you will forget to turn on your VPN before using Viber.
There’s also a kill switch for added security, good speed and unlimited bandwidth. So, if your nearest and dearest, or your colleagues, are sending you links to downloads, you don’t have to worry about any limits.
- HideMyAss costs $6.56 per month if you sign up for one-year, and there is also a 30-day money back guarantee policy
PrivateVPN is definitely a provider to consider when looking for a VPN for Viber. This provider has a smaller server network than other options on the market. However, they do have a presence in Israel, India and Turkey, which is useful for those living or visiting the Middle East.
Based in Sweden, it has more than 100 servers in 56 countries, and its reach is growing constantly, so you will be able to log onto the geographic server of your choice in order to use Viber.
It can also be used on six devices simultaneously. Plus, there is a zero logs policy so you can be sure your Viber activities will not be visible to anyone.
- PrivateVPN is another good choice if you want to combine affordability with security options. The cost is $4.15 per month, with one month free if you take out a year-long plan. There’s also a 30-day money back guarantee.
Why is Viber Blocked in Some Countries?
Viber’s services are blocked in a number of countries because authorities and governments prefer to have control over the information its citizens are sharing and receiving.
China, for example, is renowned for wanting to control the content and information shared and received by its citizens. Egypt has also put restrictions in place as a result of the role social media and communications played in the Arab Spring of 2010.
Other countries where Viber is banned altogether, or restricted, include regions popular with expats and those on vacation, including Mexico, Brazil, Belize, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Pakistan, Paraguay and Qatar, along with South Korea and North Korea.
Viber in UAE
Another region where expats use Viber as a lifeline to keep in touch with loved ones is the UAE.
But while authorities say they don’t ban the use of such social messaging services, it is impossible to use Viber, along with the likes of Skype and Facetime, because providers need to be licensed by the authorities.
Unblock Viber in China and other countries with a VPN
Thankfully, there’s no need to give up your regular free messages and chats with loved ones, even if you are living or visiting one of the regions where Viber is blocked.
A simple solution is to use a VPN for Viber so you can unblock Viber and use it wherever you happen to be in the world. A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is the best way to bypass restrictions and to keep yourself safe online.
It works by setting up a private connection between your device and the VPN provider’s servers, encrypting the data to make sure no one has access to any of your messaging or browsing activities.
A VPN effectively lets you change your location without going anywhere. So, you could be sitting in a coffee shop in Dubai and could connect to a VPN server in the US or UK to ensure you can still use Viber without any issues.
This will enable you to get round even tough restrictions like those which have become known as the Great Firewall of China!
However, you do need a reliable, trustworthy VPN provider to make sure that your data will be protected at all times, even if your VPN connection suddenly drops out.
Here are five of the best VPN for Viber providers to unblock Viber on iPhone or any other device you may be using.
Using a Free VPN to Unblock Viber
It can be tempting to look at a free VPN to unblock Viber if you’re having trouble accessing the messaging service.
However, free VPNs lack the security features of paid-for options, which could leave you vulnerable to having your personal data stolen by criminals, or accessed by authorities.
Free VPN providers tend to make their money by selling on your details to interested parties, such as advertisers, so they keep logs about you and your activities online.
How to Unblock Viber on iPhone
Once you have chosen the best VPN to unblock Viber, you will want to get started messaging your friends, family or colleagues as soon as possible.
The process is simple so you will soon be able to unblock Viber wherever you are.
- Choose a VPN app so you can unblock Viber on iPhone or the device of your choice. Pick from one of the options above to be sure you have the best VPN to unblock Viber.
- Download the app, making a quick note of the setup information.
- Your VPN will automatically configure itself when you open it following download.
- Enter your passcode or ID when you are prompted.
- Go to your VPN app and you will be able to choose which country you want to connect to.
- Make sure you choose a geographic location where there are no restrictions on the use of Viber.
- You’re ready to start messaging or chatting through Viber!
Unblock Viber with a VPN
A VPN is useful, and in some cases, vital in so many situations, when you are trying to keep your information safe online while giving yourself the freedom to access the content and services that you want.
But VPNs really come into their own when you need to unblock content or services which are banned or restricted because of where you happen to be in the world.
Using a VPN for Viber means you can access servers across the world. So, if you are working in China, where you cannot use Viber, you can log onto a server in the US or Europe to allow you to chat to your friends and family when, and where you want to.
However, security is a major consideration. You will want to make sure that not only can you continue to message and chat to your loved ones without restrictions, but that there is no risk of your data and activities being revealed to anyone, whether criminals or authorities.
A VPN for Viber is the ideal solution to make sure that even if authorities have put in place restrictions, your own activities do not have to be restricted in any way. You can unblock Viber to continue messaging and talking when and where, and to whom, you want.