Best VPN's for Europe in 2019
Traveling around Europe is fun, but sometimes we still want to catch up on our favorite shows from home or access internet sites from our own country. Unfortunately, this is not always possible as content is often geo-blocked, depending on what country you are in.
Geo-restricted content is managed by websites and content providers which read their users’ IP addresses. From there, those websites can determine a user’s whereabouts and decide whether or not they are allowed to view their content. If a user is not located within the territory content is legally meant to be seen in, then the content is blocked.
A good workaround for this, if you are constantly traveling around Europe, is to subscribe to a VPN provider that allows access to a European server.
Why Do I Need A Europe VPN?
Content is restricted between different EU countries for several reasons:
- Contractual Agreements Due to contractual licensing agreements, many streaming services (like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD – All4 AKA Channel4) will block access to some content, depending on a user’s location. The contractual agreements made between themselves and production companies or broadcasters will determine where their content can be viewed.
- Government Censorship and Religious Views While not a huge issue in most European countries, there are some Governments that censor what they deem as illegal content. Governments that view porn or gay sites as immoral and unethical, for example, will outright block entire websites if they are seen as breaking the law or going against that country’s religious beliefs.
- Different Price Plans Streaming services that charge for access to their content may geographically restrict what can be viewed due to different price structures they have for each country. To be fair to their customers, they have to block content that some customers have paid for, and others haven’t. For example, Netflix in Germany has most of the back catalog of Modern Family available (Netflix Content Library Comparison), whereas many other countries don’t have it all.
A VPN is needed in Europe to get around these issues. With one, you will be able to:
- Access your favorite shows that have been geo-blocked.
- Browse the internet without breaking the law.
- Have added security from hackers and cybercriminals.
- Safely use WiFi networks.
- Be sure that no third parties can see your browsing history or online activity.
How To Choose An EU VPN
There are a number of features that VPN subscribers should keep an eye out for when signing up to a provider. We have rated and reviewed a whole host of VPNs for Europe and have listed our favorites based on the following criteria:
- High number of servers The higher the number of servers a VPN provider has, the better placed they are for providing a good and reliable service to their customers. In particular, for those that want a European VPN server, it is best to look for a high concentration of servers in European countries.
- Strong encryption code This is one of the ways that VPN providers help increase your security when surfing the net. Virtual Private Networks are very difficult for hackers or cyber-criminals to breach and access your personal data. Ones with a strong encryption code are even tougher.
- High speeds and unlimited bandwidth Both high speeds and unlimited bandwidths are required to have a buffer-free streaming session. Without them, you’ll find your content is prone to being buffered or pixilated.
- No traffic or connection logs In terms of keeping your identity secret, this is another security measure that the best VPN providers implement. In practice, it means that while they could track and record your online activity, they don’t. This means that providers have no documented data to hand over to authorities or sell to the highest bidder regarding your internet antics.
- Supports a variety of devices This is a great feature to have if you are a family or small business – it allows many people to access the same VPN subscription at the same time.
Our Picks For The Best VPN For Europe
#1 ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Europe
- Large number of servers – This means that its customers can be assured of a connection when they want it and a smooth service when they have it.
- Lightening quick connection speeds – ExpressVPN customers will enjoy buffer-free streaming sessions due to the fast connection speeds it employs.
- Wide selection of server locations – Any European content is available to ExpressVPN customers because of the vast amount of server locations it has in its network.
- A kill switch – This kill switch feature is a safety precaution that cuts a connection if the VPN stops working. Identities will, therefore, remain private.
- High-level privacy protocols – Anonymity and user activity are kept secure at ExpressVPN so users can be safe in the knowledge that their information will never be leaked.
- Price – whilst not as cheap as some of its competitors, the service gained is perfect for those in search of an easy to use European VPN.
- 30-day money-back guarantee – if for some reason, you don’t like ExpressVPN while accessing European content, you can have your money back at the end of 30 days!
- $12.95 per month for one month
- $9.99 per month for six months
- $6.67 per month for twelve months plus three months free
- Quick speed connection – Start streaming European content immediately with NordVPN’s quick connection speeds.
- Robust privacy policies – Everyone needs their privacy maintained, regardless of what content they are trying to access. NordVPN’s privacy policies do just that.
- No Logs – Customer data is not kept by NordVPN so they have no information to give or sell away to anyone. Be they hackers, cyber criminals or authorities.
- Multiple device connectivity – this is great if you have a family or small business in need of browsing content that is otherwise reserved for European eyes only.
- Step by step tutorial videos – for those that don’t come easily to technology, NordVPN have cleverly designed tutorial videos that will help anyone, and everyone get set up to access European content quickly.
- Price – at $3.29 a month on its two-year subscription plan, customers are getting a great deal.
- $11.95 per month for one month
- $6.99 per month for twelve months
- $3.99 per month for two years
- No-logging policy – The company’s zero-logging policy is great for users within countries trying to access restricted or banned content, because your data will never be at risk of being handed over to authorities.
- Over 1,000 servers – Cyberghost operates 1,111 servers, with a large amount of them located in various locations around Europe.
- Military-grade encryption – Their military-strength AES 256-BIT encryption uses a 2048-BIT RSA Key, ensuring the safety of your internet activity.
- 60-day money-back guarantee – Cyberghost offers a 60-day full money back guarantee, which is double the amount of time given by many VPN providers.
- $10.99 per month for one month
- $7.99 per month for 6 months
- $4.99 per month for a year
- $2.90 per month for two years
Is There A Recommended Free VPN For Europe?
In short, no. The saying “you get what you pay for” is exceptionally true when it comes to free VPNs – in Europe or elsewhere in the world.
Free VPN providers have to make their money somehow, so they either increase their revenue by having fewer servers in fewer locations, or they simply sell customer data. The result is that those who sign up to free VPNs will experience a throttling of bandwidth leading to a pixelated or slow streaming session, or have their privacy compromised.
Neither of which is worth it – especially when the long-term subscription plans of our recommended VPNs are only a few dollars a month.
Streaming Through A European VPN With Confidence
Reputable VPN providers will allow their users to catch up on their favorite TV shows and stream their favorite content in a reliable and consistent way, confident that they can watch what they want, when they want, and do so in a safe environment.
ExpressVPN is our favored provider to do just that and more.