Best VPN for VoIP in 2020
As long as both the caller and recipient have a decent internet connection, there are no restrictions on who you can speak to, where you can call and when it can happen.
This benefit is infinite, as long distance phone calls from conventional providers are known to rack up a hefty sum.
Some of the most popular VoIP apps include:
Unfortunately, in recent years the unrestricted nature of these services has come under threat. Certain governments now block VoIP apps, denying users of their indisputable convenience.
Here we look at using a VPN for VoIP applications so that users can access VoIP services from anywhere in the world.
Why Do I Need A VoiP VPN
VoIP phone services are a great way to cut your phone bill down majorly, while adding tons of great features like unlimited long distance calls and remote voicemail.
However, you may be surprised to learn that these services are blocked in many countries.
Sometimes it’s due to government censorship, in countries where those in power want to control and monitor communications.
In many cases though, it’s because phone companies like T Mobile have a monopoly on the communications industry there, and take it upon themselves to block access to competing services.
If you’re sick of sky high phone bills and want to switch to a VoIP service provider, sign up with a VPN to get unlimited, secure access.
How Does A VPN for VoiP Work?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. What it does is provide you with a separate secure network, allowing you to bypass content blocks and protect your privacy.
The VPN provider will give you a different IP address, blocking your original one, and encrypt all of your information and protect your personal data.
By blocking your IP address, you can access any content you want by tricking servers into thinking you’re in a different location, giving you access to blocked services like VoIP.
What Makes The Best VPN for VoiP?
Using a VoIP VPN is the best way to bypass voice-call restrictions. The proxy software grants you unrestricted access, while encrypting your traffic to hide your online activity. Even if you live in a country with strict internet surveillance, a top-quality VPN can provide privacy and unblock WhatsApp, Skype, or any other service.
However, only the best VPNs will work. We tested market leaders on the following factors, to determine the top providers for accessing VoIP apps safely.
As voice-calling is a pretty data-heavy activity, slow VPNs will struggle to handle the task. As the encryption only slows the process further, it’s essential to choose a provider who boasts top speeds and reliable service.
As bypassing national censors is illegal in some countries – and exists in a grey-area in others – infallible encryption is required to keep users safe from prosecution. We looked for VPNs using military-grade AES-256 encryption to guarantee privacy.
Some VPN providers come with an annoying bandwidth limit, which will severely impede your ability to make calls. Unrestricted use is a requirement for accessing VoIP.
Vast Server Network:
Servers often get bogged down when too many users connect. Since VoIP calls require the fastest speeds possible, you need a provider that offers enough connection options to avoid the bottlenecks.
Additional Security Protocols:
As companies and governments crack down on VPN use, the core protocol is often no longer enough to guarantee privacy. Additional security features can help hide your VPN traffic and keep you safe while you use VoIP.
Responsive Customer Service:
VPNs can be confusing, especially for new users. An instant customer support option provides help when configuring the client and troubleshooting problems.
The following providers rated highest in our tests, and are the best choices to unblock VoIP services.
Top 3 Best VPNs for VoIP
There are a lot of VPN providers out there to choose from. Here I’ve broken down a few of the most popular ones on the market, and how they compare for unlimited VoIP access.
#1 Choice: ExpressVPN – Fastest connection
The number one choice for fast, secure VoIP usage is ExpressVPN.
- Fast Connection: When you’re using a VPN for online communication services like VoIP, you’re going to want a fast connection like ExpressVPN offers.
- Unlimited bandwidth: You also want plenty of bandwidth for a smooth video chat, and calls that never get dropped.
ExpressVPN never caps bandwidth.
- Excellent customer service: Their customer service is great too, with features like 24/7 support, live chat and email assistance with an average email response time of <30 minutes
- Money back guarantee: They also offer their customers a 30-day money back guarantee, and a referral program that rewards customers and their friends with a month of free service.
- Compatibility across many operating systems: ExpressVPN is also compatible with all operating systems, so you can use it on everything from a Windows desktop to an Android smartphone to make VoIP calls.
- Multiple connections: Better yet, you can connect their VPN to two devices simultaneously – one mobile and one desktop device so you can make VoIP calls on the go!
- Military grade security: ExpressVPN offers multiple security protocols, and 256-bit encryption, so your information is always safe, and your VoIP calls are always private.
- Vast server network: They have a server network that includes locations in 78 countries around the globe, as well.
#2: IPVanish – Low monthly rates
If you happen to be in a corner of the world where you can’t access an Express VPN server, IPVanish makes a good substitute.
- Large network: Their network isn’t quite as large as Express VPN’s, but you may find they have a server located a little closer to you so VoIP communications remain an option wherever you are in the world.
- Good value for money: IPVanish offers its customers some seriously great value. Their rates are super low, with prices at around $10 a month, and incremental discounts for purchasing more than one month at a time.
- No capping: With unlimited bandwidth, long and data heavy VoIP calls are always possible.
- Multiple connections: Up to two simultaneous connections are included with all of their service plans, which helps if someone else in your family or business needs to make a VoIP call at the same time.
- Live chat feature: IPVanish has customer service almost as good as Express VPN’s, with support staff available 24/7 via live chat and email. The main difference here is that you may end up waiting a little longer for assistance, particularly with e-mail support.
- Money back guarantee: They also offer a 7-day money back guarantee, but no referral program.
The main drawback: One thing to keep in mind with IPVanish though, is that their software, while simple to use and set up, is not compatible with iOS. If you’re using Apple devices, make sure to double check the operating systems before signing up with a service plan through IPVanish.
#3: Hide My Ass – Slow connection
HideMyAss looks pretty good on paper, with servers in 151 countries, but their connection can often lack of reliability.
- Inconsistent connection: Their servers are often getting bogged down with too many users, making it a less than desirable choice for VoIP service users.
- Compatibility across many operating systems: Their software is compatible with all operating systems so you can make VoIP calls from any device.
- Not always user friendly: HideMyAss is not the best for people who aren’t familiar with VPNs. Set up can be a little complicated, and the software isn’t intuitive enough.
- Live chat feature: Like Express VPN, HideMyAss offers 24/7 customer service, they also offer support by phone, in addition to live chat and email support. However, the wait times can be much longer with HideMyAss, and the service isn’t always very helpful.
- Stringent encryption: You’ll get solid encryption which is key if you are using VoIP applications where they are not allowed.
- Uncapped bandwidth: Unlimited bandwidth with HideMyAss’s service plans mean that long video calls over VoIP applications are possible.
The bottom line: HideMyAss’s connection quality and customer service just doesn’t compare to ExpressVPN’s.
Read our full HideMyAss review now.
Can I Use A Free VPN for VoiP?
Plenty of free VPN for VoIP providers exist. While they may seem like an attractive option due to the nonexistent price, they come with some significant drawbacks. In particular, if you want to use your VPN for Viber, Skype, and other VoIP apps, you’ll struggle to find a service with the necessary features.
In short, we don’t recommend free VPN for VoIP providers because:
- Free VPN providers impose bandwidth limits and usage allowances, which won’t cover a data-heavy voice call.
- Their speeds are slow, and the service often drops out, which will be frustrating when your calling, but could also threaten your privacy.
- They are known for security holes, so they must be avoided if you’re in a country with high censorship and surveillance.
If you can’t afford to pay for a premium service, then many providers offer free-trial or money-back guarantee periods. Using these, you can easily unblock VoIP apps securely.
Why Countries Block VoIP Service
The reasons for VoIP bans vary considerably. In some places, they are deemed a threat to existing censorship regimes.
As there is no way to restrict the information passed across these services, and many provide in-app encryption, they are problematic for governments who actively control the national narrative.
In other places, it’s simply because they compete with the national telecommunications companies. In these cases, an alternative option is often provided, but it can be frustrating not to have the freedom of choice.
The following countries all block VoIP apps:
In other places – such as the Caribbean, Mexico, and Brazil – VoIP services are blocked on certain ISPs.
In Pakistan, Panama, and Cuba, Skype is available, but at costs that are unattainable for most residents.
Many reports also suggest that, in Egypt, Tunisia, and Syria, VoIP apps are often temporarily blocked during periods of significant unrest.
The Bottom Line of Using a VoiP VPN
There’s no question that VoIPs are the way to go for phone service these days.
In an age where the home phone is becoming less and less common, people want more out of their internet service and mobile devices, and VoIPs deliver with cutting edge features and low monthly rates.
To gain access to VoIP services, use the best VoIP VPN. You want one that will give you the fastest and most reliable connection.
You also want it to securely encrypt your data and provide the best customer service. Additionally, it should work on all your devices and operating systems.