How to Watch The Premier League From Abroad
Not catching an important football game while you are abroad can be far more than frustrating. Yet it is a very real problem for Premier League football fans that have traveled overseas or have immigrated.
With only a few select channels around the globe broadcasting Premier League games, how can you be certain of never missing a game again?
The answer lies in a VPN.
Here we look at the best VPNs for watching the Premier League abroad, and why you need one in the first place.
It’s easy to get started with ExpressVPN and other services, keep reading to find out how:
So Why Do You Need A VPN?
There are several reasons why you need a VPN to watch the Premier League online.
- Geographical Restrictions
These restrictions are placed on where the Premier League can be watched, due to licensing agreements between the Premier League itself and broadcasting companies. Contracts are in place that stipulate where that content can be seen – anywhere outside those areas is banned.
- Subscription Plans
Customers purchase subscriptions with broadcasting companies. Sky customers would be at a disadvantage if Premier League games were accessible elsewhere, as they are paying to view games in the comfort of their own home.
Using a VPN helps get around geo-restrictions and helps Premier League fans access content from a variety of broadcasters who do provide EPL live streaming around the world.
How To Choose The Best VPN For Streaming Live Premier League Football Games?
- Large server network
VPN providers with a large server network can almost guarantee immediate access to any sites in the world that are streaming EPL Live. So you can watch Match of the Day in Australia or the Premier League highlights on the BBC, for example.
- Fast speeds
A VPN provider is nothing without a fast connection speed – especially when you are trying to watch the Premier League online. Without a fast connection speed, your enjoyment will be interrupted by buffering and pixelation.
- No bandwidth caps
Some VPN providers throttle their service as a way of trying to get customers to increase their subscriptions to more premium services. The best do not employ this tactic and provide you with access to their servers without a bandwidth cap. This is imperative so that users who are watching Match of the Day, do not, all of a sudden, find that their connection has dropped.
- No log policy
Some VPN providers have given customer data to authorities when requested in the past. The best providers are ones that do not keep logs in the first place so that they have nothing to hand over if asked.
- Strong encryption
Strong encryption software is needed so that users’ identities
The Best VPNs to Watch The Premier League Live
ExpressVPN remains our number one pick to watch BBC iPlayer Match of the Day or any other means of EPL live streaming.
ExpressVPN is our top pick because:
- Server locations in US, UK and Australia – This means access to Fox Sports, Sky Sports, Now TV, BT Sports and NBC Sports Live Extra – meaning that a huge amount of matches played in the EPL are available for ExpressVPN customers to watch
- Fast connection speeds – ExpressVPN’s impressive connection speeds mean that its customers rarely have to put up with any type of buffering or pixelation
- 30 day money back guarantee – If you don’t think ExpressVPN matches up to this review, you can get your money back after 30 days use
- $12.95 per month for one month
- $9.99 per month for six months
- $6.67 per month for twelve months plus three months free
More information can be found in our ExpressVPN review.
NordVPN is a highly reliable VPN provider that allows users to watch their favorite Premier League matches quickly and easily.
The features that allow this are:
- Worldwide servers – This is crucial to be able to access content that is streamed around the world from different broadcasters
- Fast speeds – NordVPN has incredibly fast connection speeds so that connecting to the internet to watch Match of the Day on iPlayer is quick, and then what you watch is of a high quality too
- Airtight encryption – This keeps NordVPN’s user data safe and secure when they go online and access geo-blocked content
- 30 day money back guarantee
- $11.95 per month for one month
- $6.99 per month for twelve months
- $3.99 per month for two years
More information can be found in our NordVPN review.
PrivateVPN is a very capable VPN provider. Though not as slick looking as other VPN providers on the market, it does the job and it does it well so customers can watch the Match of the Day on iPlayer wherever they are in the world.
Its most notable features are:
- 50 servers around the globe – With 50 servers around the globe, much of what is shown by all EPL broadcasters is accessible to PrivateVPN customers. However, with only two in the UK, connection to iPlayer may not always be possible
- Quick servers – Its widely spread out servers are also incredibly quick and they aren’t overloaded either making watching EPL live a breeze
- Safe to use – Privacy is literally the name of the game for PrivateVPN. Users are safe from hackers and invasive techniques from authorities
- Competitively priced – Its 13 month subscription plan is incredibly well priced, especially for the service it delivers
- $7.67 for one month
- $5.25 per month for three months
- $3.88 for thirteen months today
Get more information in our PrivateVPN review.
#4 PureVPN to watch EPL
PureVPN has the ability to let customers watch the Premier League live.
- Wide range of global servers – Most notably PureVPN has servers in the Middle East so that avid fans can watch the Premier League online via beIN Sports. Yet it also has UK and US so that streaming services domiciled in those countries are available to users
- Fast connection – PureVPN has a fast connection that can keep up with most. Imperative when streaming live EPL games
- Secure connection – users can watch Premier League highlights, or a whole host of other TV without fearing that their privacy and anonymity is being compromised when they use PureVPN
- Currently heavily discounted for its two year deal
- $10.95 for one month
- $8.95 per month for six months
- $3.25 per month for two years
More details can be found in our PureVPN review.
#5 CyberGhost VPN to watch EPL
CyberGhostVPN prides itself on being an ‘all in one privacy app’, but it’s pretty capable of keeping keen Match of The Day fans happy too. It’s a good option for a VPN provider because:
- Vast amount of servers – However, they do not have as wide a range of locations as many of its competitors. That being said, with 100 servers in the UK alone and a massive 200 in the US, users can always be certain of a Match of the Day catch up or any EPL live on NBC
- Competitively priced for customers from the US – CyberGhost does not have the cheapest tariffs, however, so if you outside of the US it is on the pricier side
- Quick connection speeds – CyberGhost has a more than reliable speed for its internet connection so that its user will never watch EPL with buffering issues
- Encryption leader – Privacy is everything at CyberGhost. Its encryption techniques in particular are innovative and market leading so its customers’ privacy is always maintained
- Monthly – $10.99
- 6 Months – $6.99 monthly billed at $83.88
- Annual – $4.99 monthly billed at $59.78
- 2-Year – $2.90 monthly billed at $69.60
More information can be found in our Cyberghost VPN review.
#6 VyprVPN to watch EPL
VyprVPN Streaming live Premier League football is a breeze with this VPN provider, though it does have its limitations.
- Boasts 700 servers in 70 countries – VyprVPN has a very respectable amount of servers in a wide range of locations. However, it should be noted that not all are accessible on their basic subscription plan
- Quick – As ever, quick connection speeds are paramount to VPN providers, especially ones that are being bought to watch live Premier League matches. VyprVPN’s connection speeds are fast for a largely buffer free streaming service.
- Easy installation – One of VyprVPN’s most attractive features is its incredibly easy installation. It is perfect if you need almost immediate access to Premier League live streaming
- Has an auto connect function so that uptime is maximized – Users should never be exposed to a drop out in connection with this auto connection function
- $5.00 per month billed annually
- $9.95 per month billed monthly
- Premium subscription offers available
More information can be found in our VyprVPN review.
#7 BufferedVPN to watch EPL
Last on our list, but by no means the least, BufferedVPN is a safe and reliable VPN to use for watching EPL live, amongst a host of other online activities.
Its key features are:
- Servers in Australia and New Zealand allow access to Premier League Pass
- 30-day money back guarantee – if BufferedVPN does not work for you for any reason, they will offer you your money back. It is important to note though, that they are slightly more expensive than many of their competitors.
- $12.99 per month
- $9.99 per month for 6 months, billed twice a year
- $8.25 per month for one year
More information can be found in our BufferedVPN review.
But What Is A VPN?
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network. They help users, using a public network, to send and receive data as if they were using a private one. They are a great security measure that many companies and corporations now use so employees can access data-sensitive information and applications.
In terms of streaming TV shows, or watching the Premier League on iPlayer or other video libraries, VPNs make users look like their server is connected to a server in another country, where the content is allowed. So in the case of the Premier League on iPlayer, users connect to a server in Great Britain.
More exactly, a VPN provides users with a new IP address. An IP address is the address that most streaming services read to conclude whether users are allowed to access their content or not.
What Broadcasters Show Premier League Football?
The following countries broadcast the Premier League from their own respective networks:
- USA: NBC Sports Live Extra
- UK: Sky Sports, Now TV, BT Sports
- Australia: Fox Sports
- South Africa: Super Sport
- Canada: Sportsnet Now
- Denmark: TV3 Sport
- India: Star Sports
- Middle East: beIN Sports
- New Zealand: Premier League Pass
The Bottom Line
ExpressVPN remains our top pick for those that want to watch the Premier League from abroad.
You’ll be almost guaranteed a perfect streaming service so you can watch your favorite games with no interruptions.