How to Watch BBC iPlayer Overseas With a VPN
Are you missing your favorite tv programs because BBC iPlayer is geo-blocked? Here’s how to use a BBC iPlayer VPN to access your favorite programs from anywhere on the globe.
If you don’t want to read the whole article, here’s our list of the best VPNs for Watching BBC iPlayer:
- ExpressVPN Great for Speed, top-notch security, large server network and keeps your anonymity and privacy.
- NordVPN Has double VPN, six simultaneous connections, above-average privacy features.
- Surfshark Large network of servers, No data or bandwidth limits, Unlimited simultaneous device connections.
- Cyberghost Vast amount of servers, Quick connection speeds, and competitively priced.
Using The BBC iPlayer Abroad
Because of something called geo-restrictions, the BBC is required by law to restrict its content to anyone outside of the UK due to rights agreements and licensing regulations.
Since only UK citizens pay taxes that cover the mandatory licensing fees, only UK citizens rightfully have access to this entertainment.
The problem is, much of that content can only be streamed on devices with a UK IP address. Content licensing restrictions block certain videos based on your location. So, if you happen to be anywhere outside of the UK, you can look forward to a message like this: “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
Fortunately, there is a simple solution to get around these geo-restrictions. With the help of a VPN, you can access all your iPlayer shows and channels no matter where you are on the globe.
The Best VPNs for BBC iPlayer (That work)
#1 ExpressVPN – SPECIAL DEAL (3 months free with annual subscription)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for BBC iPlayer, as it has six servers located in the UK, ultra-fast speeds, and is especially known for getting new servers up and running quickly, in case BBC blacklists one.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- Six UK server clusters
- Industry-leading speeds
Start from as low as $6.67/month + 30 days money back guarantee
To read the full ExpressVPN review click here
This no-log provider is a staple favorite for the privacy conscious. NordVPN only has one server in the UK, but it’s a reliable name with bulletproof security that is a good choice to access BBC iPlayer abroad if you are very concerned with keeping your data private.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- Its no log policy mean that connections are totally anonymous
- Double encryption is a further boost to security.
Starts from as low as $2.99/month + 30 days money back guarantee
To read the full NordVPN review click here
Surfshark repeatedly gets recommended by us as we have found it to be a highly capable and reliable VPN provider that offers a whole host of features that make it efficient to use. In terms of watching iPlayer abroad, it is perfect as it has several UK servers that mean you can be confident that you will be able to gain a UK IP address allowing you to access the service with no troubles at all.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- Surfshark does not impose any data usage restrictions
- An unlimited amount of devices can be connected at any one time
Starting from as low as $1.99
To read the full Surfshark review click here
Cyberghost is a great VPN all-around. It has many servers in various locations including the UK (great for BBC iPlayer), super-fast speeds, and a no-logging policy that keeps your data secure.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- It has a large number of servers located within Europe (including the UK)
- It has a super easy setup process, even beginners can’t go wrong
Starts from as low as $2.75/month + 45 days money back guarantee
To read the full Cyberghost review click here
Choosing the Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
There a tons of VPN options available, but not all of them are created equal. In fact, some of them, like IPVanish, do not work with BBC iPlayer at all, so it’s important to do your research. These are the most important factors that go into choosing the best VPN to unblock BBC iPlayer:
- Bypassing Geo-Restrictions – Possibly the most important feature, as the reason you can’t watch is because your location is blocked by BBC iPlayer. Try ExpressVPN, which easily bypasses all of BBC iPlayer’s geo-blocks.
- Speed – You will most likely be streaming your content from BBC iPlayer, so you’ll need the fastest connection possible to not experience lagging and buffering time.
- Number of Servers/IP Addresses – The more working servers and/or IP addresses a VPN has, the easier it is to stay anonymous.
- Server Location – You can have hundreds of servers, but if you don’t have at least a few located in the UK, you’ll remain geo-blocked. Fortunately, most quality VPNs have servers all over the world, particularly in the UK. Multiple UK servers are even better.
- Privacy Policies – To put it bluntly, streaming content from a place that’s trying to block it, is illegal. You need to make sure that your identity is securely hidden and that the VPN service you’re using isn’t keeping your data logged.
NordVPN is based in Panama, so there are no government issues to worry about, and no logs are kept at all, more info about VPN Jurisdiction.
My VPN isn’t Working with BBC iPlayer
BBC is a major corporation that is aware of the fact that people are trying to hack the system and get past their geo-restrictions. Because of this, BBC is always updating its security and catching “fake” IP addresses.
When it finds a bogus IP, BBC blacklists it and it no longer works to unblock their content If your VPN isn’t working, most likely BBC iPlayer has blocked the specific IP address you’ve been using. From here, you have two options:
Option #1: Choose a different VPN server (each VPN has multiple servers/IPs)
Having a VPN with multiple servers and IP addresses is important because when one stops working, you can just switch to another and keep on streaming.
Option #2: Get a VPN dedicated IP
A Dedicated IP VPN locks down one IP address that you use every time you want to surf the web from an anonymous location. Having a Dedicated IP VPN significantly lowers any suspicions companies might have when they see you logging in from multiple IP addresses. Most notably, Dedicated IPs are harder to blacklist since the shared IPs are typically the ones on the BBC’s radar to try and shut down.
Of course, using only one IP address does make it easier to lock down, however your data is still encrypted, and your true location is still completely hidden. NordVPN offers an excellent dedicated VPN option.
Up until recently, if you wanted to access geo-restricted content like the BBC iPlayer, you would simply set up a proxy server, and Voila!
Today, the BBC has a proxy blocker, so your traditional proxy server won’t work anymore. As mentioned, the BBC is really cracking down on infringement, so it’s not surprising that this simplified version no longer works.
Unblocking the BBC iPlayer Radio
BBC iPlayer Radio features popular talk shows, news reporting, entertainment, music, and offers top quality radio for anyone in the UK. The same geo-restrictions apply to this subset of the BBC iPlayer, and the same workarounds (i.e., your reliable VPN) help you access your favorite radio stations, uninterrupted.
BBC iPlayer has some of the best programming available today, so naturally, people from all over the world want to access it. If you are tired of getting the “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK” messages, then you need to act. Only a strong and reliable VPN will get you past the BBC’s geo-blocks and to your favorite shows, so get connected with the fastest and most anonymous VPN out there today. The Best 2019 VPN for BBC iPlayer is ExpressVPN.