Best BBC iPlayer VPN 2018
Stuck without BBC iPlayer because of geo-restrictions or other internet blocks?
Check out how to use a VPN for BBC iPlayer shows and radio stations so that you can access your favorite entertainment no matter where you are in the world.
Especially these days, during the World Cup 2018, the BBC iPlayer is a popular streaming service. Many viewers around the world choose it because of its high quality while enjoying the high stakes games with Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, and other international soccer stars.
Our recommended vpn to watch BBC iPlayer is ExpressVPN.
BBC iPlayer is an internet streaming service that lets you tap into exclusive UK television and radio broadcasts hosted on the BBC network. Because the BBC produces some of the best quality television and radio shows, iPlayer is among the most popular choices for streaming and catchup entertainment. From the riveting criminal dramas like Collateral, Keeping Faith, and Strike: Career of Evil to the hilarious This Country, Mum, and The Young Offenders, BBC certainly knows how to keep people entertained. With the BBC iPlayer app, you can also access fascinating documentaries like Life and Death Row: The Mass Execution or Rent For Sex: Ellie Undercover, sports stations, food networks, and more.
Using iPlayer, you can watch BBC live or catch up on some of your favorite episodes that you might have missed. The BBC iPlayer app for Android is available for smartphones, tablets, computers, and smart televisions, and allows members to tune in pretty much wherever and whenever they want with one key exception – BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. In fact, if you try to access it outside the UK, you will get this message:
BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues. Credit: BBC
This is a major problem for anyone from the UK who is traveling for business or pleasure or for people outside of the UK who have gotten hooked on this quality entertainment. While there are a few possible workarounds that people try to implement, the only way to really enjoy your BBC iPlayer app or services is through a reliable VPN.
Can You Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad?
Whether you’re a UK citizen or not, when traveling abroad, you won’t be able to watch BBC iPlayer directly. That’s because of something called geo-restricted content. Without getting too technical, the BBC is required by law to restrict its content to anyone outside of the UK due to rights agreements and licensing regulations. Since only UK citizens pay taxes that cover the mandatory licensing fees, only UK citizens rightfully have access to this entertainment.
Fortunately, that is what VPNs are for. With the help of these services, you can access all of your iPlayer shows and channels even when visiting abroad. Read the next sections to learn how to watch BBC iPlayer in the USA or anywhere else.
Can You Watch BBC iPlayer Live?
BBC iPlayer Live is the BBC’s channel for broadcasting live events such as Match of the Day and Six Nations Rugby. The good news for people not in the UK is that a VPN will also unblock the live broadcasts, so you won’t miss a game wherever you are.
How to Choose the Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
If you’ve looked into VPNs, you already know there’s a lot of competition on the market. Since they all tout various features and benefits, how do you determine which one is the best BBC iPlayer VPN? While all features are beneficial in some way, there are specific features that will help you watch BBC iPlayer shows, and these are the things to look for when selecting a VPN. The most important features are:
- Bypassing Geo-restrictions This is the most important feature – the reason you aren’t able to watch online is due to the geo-restrictions BBC iPlayer has set up. Simply put, the server reads your IP address location. If it is a UK-based IP address, it allows you to access the site. Otherwise, it rejects you. A VPN needs to bypass these geo-restrictions in order to give you access to channels like BBC One/Two/Three/Four and BBC News.
- Speed Since most of what you’ll be doing when you watch BBC iPlayer is streaming, you’ll need a fast connection. There’s nothing more frustrating than a sluggish file streaming that constantly stops and starts, losing the momentum of the show and ruining a good watching experience. Look for a VPN for iPlayer that offers good speed consistently like NordVPN which is known for super-fast connections.
- Number of Servers/IP Addresses The number of servers will not only ensure your streaming is faster, but it will also help with anonymity, so opt for a service with loads of servers like CyberGhost which boasts more than 1,300 servers worldwide! Also, the company should replace IP addresses as they become blacklisted, for more efficiency.
- Location of Servers One of the most important features of a VPN for BBC iPlayer is its server location. You can have hundreds of servers, but if they aren’t in the UK, this isn’t going to help you. Fortunately, most quality VPNs have servers all over the world, particularly in the UK. Multiple UK servers are even better.
- Good Privacy Policies Finally, you want a VPN with good privacy policies because, frankly, you’re doing something illegal. Trying to watch BBC iPlayer from outside of the UK is against the law, so you want to make sure that your identity is securely hidden and the VPN service you use isn’t keeping logs that can be handed over to the government if requested. A service like NordVPN is based in Panama, so there are no government issues to worry about, and no logs are kept either way.
Best BBC IPlayer VPN In 2018
If you’ve decided that a BBC iPlayer VPN is the route you’d like to do go down to watch iPlayer abroad, read our top choices to decide what will be the best VPN for BBC iPlayer for your needs. All of the services listed below are also top VPN for Android and iPhone, so you won’t be limited by the device when BBC streaming.
#1 ExpressVPN The Fastest, Most Reliable, and Best VPN For BBC iPlayer
ExpressVPN includes a thirty day money back guarantee with its plans in addition to offering an ultra-fast connection that’s still considered industry-leading. The service boasts server clusters in six locations around the United Kingdom and is known for quickly getting new servers up and running if needs be.
- Why it’s a hot choice:
- Six UK server clusters
- Ultra fast speeds that are industry leading.
The service costs $12.95 for one month’s access falling to $6.67 when yearly subscriptions are taken out based on 3 extra months special, a 49% discount. Sign up with ExpressVPN here.
#2 NordVPN – Double Encryption And No-Log Policy
This no-log provider is a staple favorite for the ultra privacy conscious. Although NordVPN only has one server in the UK, it’s a reliable name with bulletproof security that is a good choice to access BBC iPlayer abroad for that reason alone.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- Its no log policy mean that connections are totally anonymous.
- Double encryption is a further boost to security.
NordVPN is priced $11.95 for a one month subscription and $5.75/month on the one year plan. Their best offer currently gets down to $3.29 per month for a 2 year subscription, a 72% discount.
#3 PrivateVPN – to Watch BBC iPlayer
PrivateVPN is known for operating a high quality infrastructure network to guarantee strong speeds across its network and for not throttling connections according to usage (good for those that want to catch up on an entire week’s worth of Eastenders!). The company also operates two servers in London and one in Manchester and offers a wide variety of protocols to suit those requiring a specific kind of VPN connection.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- No throttling
- Three UK-based servers
PrivateVPN costs $10.95 for a 1-month subscription, falling to $3.60 with an annual subscription since they offer an extra 5 months free. A 30 day money-back guarantee is also included.
#4 SaferVPN – Fast Streaming For BBC iPlayer
Even though SaferVPN is a relatively new provider, it has competitively strived for the best and managed to unblock BBC iPlayer through its UK servers as well as the US Netflix library. SaferVPN has even made it easy to connect your game consoles, Apple TV or Chromecast to a VPN so that you can easily get through a Top Gear or Dr. Who marathon on the big screen. Overall it is a relatively fast, secure and an easy to use VPN making it perfect for watching BBC iPlayer abroad.
Why it’s a hot choice to stream BBC iPlayer:
- Easy user interface making it perfect for technophobes,
- Fast streaming, so you can watch BBC iPlayer without the glitches.
SaferVPN costs $9.99 for one month and gets even cheaper at $3.49 a month for a 24 month subscription with their current offer. And all plans come with a 30 day money-back guarantee in case it doesn’t work for you.
#5 PureVPN No Buffering; Good For Watching iPlayer
This VPN provider, founded in Hong Kong, offers from nice perks for those hoping to land upon an iPlayer VPN that delivers what it promises. PureVPN promises to avoid ISP throttling to eliminate buffering during streaming and supports all major devices including Kodi, Smart TV, Amazon Fire, and Chromecast, making it a great choice for those wanting to access the iPlayer app. Five UK-based servers are operated in Manchester, London, Maidenhead, Gosport, and Leicester.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- No buffering streaming is great for accessing multimedia sites, like iPlayer.
- Wide platform support is perfect for those hoping to catch-up on episodes from any device.
PureVPN costs $10.95 for 1 month falling to $2.80 per month when two-year subscriptions are taken out.
How to find the best VPN for BBC iPlayer usage, how to set up your VPN, and what to do when problems arise will all be covered right now, so stay tuned if you want to watch BBC iPlayer with no strings attached.
How to Install and Setup a VPN
- Installing a VPN is as simple as downloading any other file to your computer. Here’s how:
- Find the best VPN for BBC iPlayer (more on that below)
- Click on the download button on the VPN site you’ve chosen
- Allow the VPN access to your computer by clicking yes to the installation
Once installed, select a UK-based server, type in the site, and your BBC iPlayer will be up and running.
You can find a detailed installation guide in our VPN Reviews:
My VPN isn’t Working with BBC iPlayer
As BBC is a major corporation, it’s well aware that people are trying to hack the system. As such, BBC is always updating its security and catching spoofed IP addresses. When it finds a bogus IP, BBC blocks it, and it stops working forever.
If your VPN isn’t working, this is probably what happened. You can do two things to alleviate the issue:
Option#1: Choose a different VPN server (each VPN has multiple servers/IPs)
As mentioned, you want a VPN with multiple servers and IP addresses. That way, when one stops working, you just switch to another and continue streaming.
Option #2: Get a VPN dedicated IP
If you want uninterrupted streaming indefinitely, opt for a VPN dedicated IP. while these won’t provide the same anonymity as shared IPs, dedicated IPs are harder to blacklist since the shared IPs are the ones on the BBC’s radar.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad on an iPad or Tablet
VPNs are fast and easy to set up on your computer, but some people feel that using a VPN for BBC iPlayer viewing on a tablet is not nearly as straightforward. In reality, it’s only a step or two more difficult than setting it up on your computer. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the VPN of choice
- Go to your Settings → General → Network/VPN (depending on your version of tablet/iPad)
- Click Add VPN Configuration, leave it on the selected L2TP tab, fill out the information (most of it is information you’ll know like your account name and password and anything else you can get from the VPN service) and save it
- Now, you can turn your VPN on and off at will using the toggle switch next to that VPN and selecting the UK configuration
BBC iPlayer Radio
As the name implies, BBC iPlayer Radio is the radio stations broadcasted by the BBC. It features popular talk shows, news reporting, entertainment, and music stations, and it offers top quality radio for anyone in the UK. The same geo-restrictions apply to this subset of the BBC iPlayer, and the same workarounds (i.e., your reliable VPN) help you access your favorite radio stations uninterrupted.
BBC iPlayer Proxy Error
Up until recently, if you wanted to access geo-restricted content like the BBC iPlayer, you just set up a proxy server, and Voila! Everything was open to you. Today, the BBC has a proxy blocker, so your traditional proxy server won’t work anymore. As mentioned, the BBC is really cracking down on infringement, so it’s not surprising that this simplified version no longer works.
BBC iPlayer has some of the best programming available today, so naturally, people from all over the world want to access it. If you are tired of getting the “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK” messages, then you need to take action. Only a strong and reliable VPN will give you access to your favorite shows like Doctor Who and Peaky Blinders, so get connected with the fastest and most anonymous VPN out there today.
The Best 2018 VPN for BBC iPlayer is ExpressVPN.