Best BBC iPlayer VPN 2018
Are you missing your favorite tv programs because BBC iPlayer is geo-blocked? Here’s how to use a BBC iPlayer VPN to access your favorite programs from anywhere on the globe.
A super-fast VPN like ExpressVPN will have you watching your iPlayer content in no time.
If you’re unfamiliar with BBC iPlayer, it’s a popular streaming service that lets viewers watch some of the best free and legal content on the web, from TV shows and movies, to radio programs and sports matches.
The problem is, much of that content can only be streamed on devices with a UK IP address. Content licensing restrictions block certain videos based on your location. So, if you happen to be anywhere outside of the UK, you can look forward to a message like this: “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
Luckily, employing a VPN will unblock BBC iPlayer, so you can watch all of your programs from anywhere on the globe.
Can You Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad?
Because of something called geo-restrictions, the BBC is required by law to restrict its content to anyone outside of the UK due to rights agreements and licensing regulations.
Since only UK citizens pay taxes that cover the mandatory licensing fees, only UK citizens rightfully have access to this entertainment. Fortunately, there is a simple solution to get around these geo-restrictions. With the help of a VPN, you can access all your iPlayer shows and channels no matter where you are on the globe.
Can You Watch BBC iPlayer Live?
Yes! A VPN will also unblock BBC iPlayer live broadcasts, so you can watch the game in real-time, from wherever you are.
My VPN isn’t Working with BBC iPlayer
BBC is a major corporation that is aware of the fact that people are trying to hack the system and get past their geo-restrictions. Because of this, BBC is always updating its security and catching “fake” IP addresses.
When it finds a bogus IP, BBC blacklists it and it no longer works to unblock their content If your VPN isn’t working, most likely BBC iPlayer has blocked the specific IP address you’ve been using. From here, you have two options:
Option #1: Choose a different VPN server (each VPN has multiple servers/IPs)
Having a VPN with multiple servers and IP addresses is important because when one stops working, you can just switch to another and keep on streaming.
Option #2: Get a VPN dedicated IP
A Dedicated IP VPN locks down one IP address that you use every time you want to surf the web from an anonymous location. Having a Dedicated IP VPN significantly lowers any suspicions companies might have when they see you logging in from multiple IP addresses. Most notably, Dedicated IPs are harder to blacklist since the shared IPs are typically the ones on the BBC’s radar to try and shut down.
Of course, using only one IP address does make it easier to lock down, however your data is still encrypted, and your true location is still completely hidden.
For a super-fast VPN with an option for a dedicated IP address, we’d recommend NordVPN.
Choosing the Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
There a tons of VPN options available, but not all of them are created equal. In fact, some of them, like IPVanish, do not work with BBC iPlayer at all, so it’s important to do your research. These are the most important factors that go into choosing the best VPN to unblock BBC iPlayer:
- Bypassing Geo-Restrictions – Possibly the most important feature, as the reason you can’t watch is because your location is blocked by BBC iPlayer. Try ExpressVPN, which easily bypasses all of BBC iPlayer’s geo-blocks.
- Speed – You will most likely be streaming your content from BBC iPlayer, so you’ll need the fastest connection possible to not experience lagging and buffering time. NordVPN is known for its lightning-fast speeds.
- Number of Servers/IP Addresses – The more working servers and/or IP addresses a VPN has, the easier it is to stay anonymous. CyberGhost boats +1,300 servers worldwide!
- Server Location – You can have hundreds of servers, but if you don’t have at least a few located in the UK, you’ll remain geo-blocked. Fortunately, most quality VPNs have servers all over the world, particularly in the UK. Multiple UK servers are even better.
- Privacy Policies – To put it bluntly, streaming content from a place that’s trying to block it, is illegal. You need to make sure that your identity is securely hidden and that the VPN service you’re using isn’t keeping your data logged.
NordVPN is based in Panama, so there are no government issues to worry about, and no logs are kept at all, more info about VPN Jurisdiction.
The Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
We’ve done the research for you!
Here are the top BBC iPlayer VPNs in 2018:
#1 ExpressVPN – The Most Reliable VPN For BBC iPlayer
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for BBC iPlayer, as it has six servers located in the UK, ultra-fast speeds, and is especially known for getting new servers up and running quickly, in case BBC blacklists one.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- Six UK server clusters
- Industry-leading speeds
- 30 day money-back guarantee
The service costs $12.95 for a monthly subscription, and falls to $6.67 when you sign up for a year and include their 49% discount.
#2 NordVPN – Double Encryption And No-Log Policy
This no-log provider is a staple favorite for the privacy conscious. NordVPN only has one server in the UK, but it’s a reliable name with bulletproof security that is a good choice to access BBC iPlayer abroad if you are very concerned with keeping your data private.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- Its no log policy mean that connections are totally anonymous
- Double encryption is a further boost to security.
NordVPN is priced $11.95 for a one-month subscription and $5.75/month for a year’s subscription. Their best offer currently gets down to $3.29 per month for a 2 year subscription; a 72% discount.
#3 PrivateVPN – Multiple UK Servers
PrivateVPN is known for guaranteeing strong speeds across its network and for not throttling connections according to usage (good for those that want to catch up on an entire season of a show!). The company has two servers in London and one in Manchester and offers a wide variety of protocols to suit those requiring a specific kind of VPN connection.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- No throttling
- Three UK-based servers
- 30 day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN costs $10.95 for a 1-month subscription, falling to $3.60 with an annual subscription since they offer an extra 5 months free.
#4 SaferVPN – Fast Streaming For BBC iPlayer
SaferVPN is a relatively new provider, yet it has competitively strived for the best and managed to unblock BBC iPlayer through its UK servers as well as the US Netflix library. Overall it is a relatively fast, secure and an easy to use VPN making it perfect for watching BBC iPlayer abroad.
Why it’s a hot choice to stream BBC iPlayer:
- Easy user interface making it perfect for technophobes
- Fast streaming, so you can watch BBC iPlayer without the glitches.
SaferVPN costs $9.99 for one month and gets even cheaper at $3.49 a month for a 24-month subscription with their current offer. And all plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee in case it doesn’t work for you.
#5 PureVPN No Buffering Time
This VPN provider, founded in Hong Kong, offers from nice perks. PureVPN promises to avoid ISP throttling in order to eliminate buffering during streaming, and supports all major devices including Kodi, Smart TV, Amazon Fire, and Chromecast, making it a great choice for those wanting to access the iPlayer app. Five UK-based servers are operated in Manchester, London, Maidenhead, Gosport, and Leicester.
Why it’s a hot choice:
- No buffering streaming is great for accessing multimedia sites, like iPlayer.
- Wide platform support is perfect for those hoping to catch-up on episodes from any device.
PureVPN costs $10.95 for 1 month falling to $2.80 per month when two-year subscriptions are taken out.
How to Install and Setup a VPN
Installing a VPN is as simple as downloading any other file to your computer. Here’s how:
- Find the and register for the best VPN for BBC iPlayer
- Click on the download button on the VPN site you’ve chosen
- Allow the VPN access to your computer by clicking yes to the installation
- Once installed, select a UK-based server, type in the site, and your BBC iPlayer will be up and running
You can find a detailed installation guide for specific VPNs in our Reviews:
How to Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad on an iPad or Tablet
VPNs are fast and easy to set up on your computer, but did you know that you can setup a VPN for BBC iPlayer on your tablet just as easily?
- Download the VPN of choice
- Go to your Settings → General → Network/VPN (depending on your version of tablet/iPad)
- Click Add VPN Configuration, leave it on the selected L2TP tab, fill out the information (most of it is information you’ll know like your account name and password and anything else you can get from the VPN service) and save it
- Now, you can turn your VPN on and off at will using the toggle switch next to that VPN and selecting the UK configuration
More info on how to set up VPN on all iOS versions >> Here
BBC iPlayer Radio
BBC iPlayer Radio features popular talk shows, news reporting, entertainment, music, and offers top quality radio for anyone in the UK. The same geo-restrictions apply to this subset of the BBC iPlayer, and the same workarounds (i.e., your reliable VPN) help you access your favorite radio stations, uninterrupted.
BBC iPlayer Proxy Error
Up until recently, if you wanted to access geo-restricted content like the BBC iPlayer, you would simply set up a proxy server, and Voila!
Today, the BBC has a proxy blocker, so your traditional proxy server won’t work anymore. As mentioned, the BBC is really cracking down on infringement, so it’s not surprising that this simplified version no longer works.
BBC iPlayer has some of the best programming available today, so naturally, people from all over the world want to access it. If you are tired of getting the “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK” messages, then you need to act. Only a strong and reliable VPN will get you past the BBC’s geo-blocks and to your favorite shows, so get connected with the fastest and most anonymous VPN out there today.
The Best 2018 VPN for BBC iPlayer is ExpressVPN.