Watch ESPN Online Streaming Abroad
Seeing how many channels and shows broadcasted by ESPN’s network, if you can’t access them, you are missing out on a lot of sports (especially because they hold a monopoly on broadcasting both male college and professional sports).
Because ESPN is a US based broadcaster, it is assumed that the rest of the world is not meant to watch the matches and games ESPN televises. So while the WatchESPN app makes it possible to watch or stream ESPN when away from home, it is only available in the US.
If you can’t access ESPN, you are missing out on all these channels:
- ESPN Deportes
- ESPN Goal Line
- ESPN Buzzer Beater
- Longhorn Network
- SEC Network
Dedicated sports channels are a big deal for sports fans, and leaving the country to live or to travel shouldn’t be a compromise for them.
Here is a guide on how to stream ESPN when outside the US.
Why Can’t I Access ESPN Internationally?
The broadcasting rights that ESPN has purchased to stream sports games and matches will decide where those shows can be aired. Additionally, the advertising slots ESPN sells while airing games will have been sold with certain audiences and locations in mind. Especially for the big games.
Because of this, ESPN blocks access to users who are trying to view games from outside the US. They do so by reading the IP address of the computers that are trying stream content through the WatchESPN app and online.
Best VPN for ESPN
#1 ExpressVPN – Recommended VPN to watch ESPN everywhere
ExpressVPN is our number one VPN provider when trying to stream ESPN from abroad. It is reliable, consistent, and excellent value for money.
- Unlimited bandwidth – This is ideal when streaming ESPN live, especially if you are trying to watch an important game or match. ExpressVPN does not throttle bandwidth to ensure maximum user enjoyment
- Quick speeds – Watching live sports games online through ESPN and ExpressVPN is easy owing to the VPN provider’s quick connection speeds
- Large Number of Server Locations – This means that ExpressVPN customers can watch ESPN while traveling internationally as well as all the other geo restricted content that is online too
- Strict privacy policies – ExpressVPN has some of the strictest privacy policies around to ensure customer safety
- 30 day money back guarantee – ExpressVPN customers can ask for their money back no questions asked
Price: As low as $6.67 per month for twelve months plus three months free
Cyberghost is another great option for watching ESPN online. It is known as one of the very best in privacy and keeping your information hidden from prying eyes.
- Vast amount of servers – Cyberghost has a whopping 200 servers in the USA, so watching your favorite sports matches and commentary won’t be a problem at all.
- Competitively priced for customers from the US –If you happen to be in the US, you’re in luck, as Cyberghost’s prices are lower if you’re located in the States.
- Quick connection speeds – CyberGhost has super-fast speeds, so you can be sure you’ll be watching the game, buffer-free.
- Encryption leader – Cybertghost is one of the leading providers when it comes to privacy. Their innovative encryption techniques are reliable, so you can keep your online identity hidden.
- 45-day money back guarantee.
Price: As low as $2.75 month
NordVPN is one of our preferred VPNs for watching ESPN when traveling outside the US. Using it ensures you won’t miss any games or matches when you are away from home.
- Quick connectivity – Little to no buffering is ever seen by NordVPN customers due to the lightning fast connection speeds it has
- 1st Class encryption methods – NordVPN uses a double encryption technique that maintains customer security without slowing down the service it provides
- 1300 servers in 60 locations – This huge and well located network of servers means that customers are rarely kept waiting to connect so they can start streaming ESPN live immediately
- 30 day money back guarantee – Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee for those rare times that customers are disappointed with the service
Price: As low as $2.99 a month
PrivateVPN may look a little clunky, but it still has a huge range of features that make it a go to VPN for streaming sports on ESPN online.
- Many server locations – PrivateVPN has a large network located in numerous places around the globe. Customers can therefore be confident that they can always gain a connection that enables them to stream ESPN from abroad
- Fast server speeds – When trying to watch live sports, it is imperative to have fast server speeds like PrivateVPN has so an enjoyable streaming session can occur
- Security is a priority – PrivateVPN remains true to its name by making customer security its main priority. It uses many techniques so that its users cannot be traced
- Well priced – Its 13 month subscription service is good value for the number of features this provider has in place for its users
Price: As low as 3.60 a month
How To Choose a VPN
There are lots of different VPN providers on the market that offer varying features. Here we have listed our top 3 – specifically with watching ESPN abroad in mind.
To get into our top picks list, we rated the companies on a number of features that we believe are an absolute must for any VPN:
Number Of Servers – This should be as high as possible. The number of servers available is directly linked to the ease with which users can login and connect to a server. So if users are trying to unblock ESPN from France to stream live sport through ESPN, a quick connection time is a necessity.
The Best Encryption Techniques Possible – VPNs can be brilliant for the added security they provide. However, not all providers lay on the same amount of encryption techniques or have strict privacy policies. All our recommendations make streaming ESPN live extremely safe.
Quick Connections – In addition to having a number of servers to get connected quickly, VPNs must offer a quick connection speed once the initial connection is established. Otherwise, streaming sessions are ruined by constant buffering. When trying to access ESPN from Canada, you’ll want to ensure you have the quickest connection to watch your favorite sports.
Unlimited Bandwidth – Even if a VPN has all of the above features, its overall service can be wrecked if a provider starts to throttle its bandwidth – especially when trying to stream live sports games. It means that the video will start to freeze and pixelate and important stretches of play are totally missed.
Can I Watch ESPN Abroad For Free?
You can, but at the cost of the quality of video picture and also your online security.
Free VPN providers can only offer their service for free by cutting costs elsewhere. This is because free VPNs have smaller networks, making quick connections and un-buffered video streaming is impossible.
Secondly, free VPN providers have been known to sell customer data to third parties in an effort to make money. Because of this, one of the main reasons – keeping your identity safe – for using a VPN, totally disappears.
How To Watch ESPN In Europe and Abroad
If you are wondering how to watch ESPN in Europe and abroad, then it is possible, through a VPN, or a Virtual Private Network. Using a VPN masks a person’s IP address.
So when you want to stream ESPN from the UK, for instance, all you need to do is sign into a VPN provider’s network of servers and are assigned an IP address from the server they are connected to. That connection is also encrypted, making a VPN an extremely secure way of surfing the web for all manner of reasons – from watching ESPN online from abroad to viewing bank details.
Can I Stream ESPN Live With A Proxy?
Again, you can, but we certainly don’t recommend it. Proxies work, in one respect, like VPNs – by providing another IP address and the appearance of a new location.
However, they do not provide the security that VPNs do and many simply don’t work anymore. Websites like ESPN are aware of the IP addresses that proxies give out, so they block users trying to access content anyway.
What is WatchESPN and How Can I Stream it?
WatchESPN is the streaming app for watching all your favorite sports games. The app is free if you have a subscription to cable with an ESPN package. Unfortunately, the app is only available in the US. However, it can be accessed with a VPN if you are outside the US. Watch your favorite football or baseball games via the WatchESPN app and one of our recommended VPNs.
Our overriding recommendation is not only to use a VPN if you want to watch ESPN internationally, but to sign up for one of ExpressVPN’s well-priced subscription plans.
You can be certain of a reliable service so that you can watch entire sports games, if not tournaments, without missing a point, touch-down or goal.