Best VPN for New Zealand in 2019
Why Is Web Content Restricted in New Zealand?
Surprisingly, there is a fair amount of internet censorship in New Zealand, meaning that some online content cannot be accessed from within the country.
Although the enforcement of the censorship laws is voluntary and at the discretion of the nation’s internet providers, two providers (which happen to service over 75% of the country) participate in the censorship program.
To work around this, a simple method can be used. Downloading and accessing the internet through a VPN, or a Virtual Private Network, means that any restrictions can be circumvented.
Our pick for Best VPN For New Zealand is ExpressVPN
Why Use A VPN In New Zealand?
VPNs work by giving you access to a network of remote servers. When connecting to one of those servers, users are given the appearance of having a location elsewhere.
In the case of users of VPNs in New Zealand, they purposefully look for servers outside of the country (ideally somewhere where there aren’t any internet restrictions).
Furthermore, connections are encrypted so that all of a user’s web traffic is kept private. It makes for a very secure way of browsing the internet, as hackers and cyber criminals find infiltrating VPNs very tricky. It also means that regulators and authorities cannot track or trace users either.
Best VPNs To Use In New Zealand
ExpressVPN remains one of the most popular VPNs for good reason and it consistently ranks at number 1 in our reviews.
- It has a fast and reliable connection – customers can pretty much guarantee access when they want it as ExpressVPN’s network is so quick and not easy to overload.
- Encryption is military grade – users can be assured that their identity remains known only to them.
- Good for beginners – the easy to use interface is great for technophobes and computer buffs alike.
- 24/7 support if you do have an issue – the live chat function that ExpressVPN uses is a great source of knowledge if you have any issues accessing content from New Zealand.
- Compatible with almost all operating systems – it is great on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux and iOS.
- Unlimited bandwidth – customers can stream a whole load of content from outside New Zealand without fear that their session will suddenly slow down thanks to throttling.
- Two connections – users can enjoy two connections as part of their subscription plan. Those traveling around New Zealand, for instance, will find this feature useful as a connection can be made through a mobile device.
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.67 a month for a 15-month plan (including three months free!)
- 30-day money back guarantee
If you want to access all of your favorite content from within New Zealand, Cyberghost is another great option.
- Zero logs kept – This policy is really good if you happen to live in a place with very strict internet laws. They don’t collect your content, so they have nothing to hand over to the authorities, even if they wanted to.
- 1,000+ servers – Cyberghost currently has 1,111 servers, with a lot of them located in many different locations all over the world.
- Military-grade encryption – Their military-strength AES 256-BIT encryption uses a 2048-BIT RSA Key, so you know your internet activity is safe.
- 60-day money back guarantee – Cyberghost offers a 60-day full money back guarantee, just in case you don’t like something about their service.
- $10.99 per month for one month
- $7.99 per month for 6 months
- $4.99 per month for a year
- $2.90 per month for two years
Surfshark is a fairly new entrant to the market leading group of VPNs, but it made its way comfortably there due to the large array of quality features that set it apart from the crowd. Here’s why its perfect for use in New Zealand:
- Fast connectivity – Customers will never have to suffer from freezing or buffering during browsing sessions due to Surfshark’s quick connections.
- No logs policy – It’s great to see a VPN provider have a strict no logs policy as it means that customers do not have to fear a data breach during or after their subscription
- Straightforward to use – We loved the simple interface that Surfshark has provided its customers that results in making it one of the most straightforward to use VPNs out there.
- Unlimited amount of simultaneous connections – This is a feature that really makes Surfshark stand out. Customers have so many different devices these days but Surfshark allows just one subscription to protect them all.
- No data capping – It’s so frustrating to run out of data mid month with a VPN subscription. However, Surfshark does not set any limits so users can stream as much content as they want.
- Large network of servers – For customers that want to unblock internet content that has a restriction on it due to having a Kiwi IP address, Surfshark’s large and wide network is perfect. It allows users to gain access to any content they want, when they want.
- Starting from as low as $1.99 month
NordVPN is a much loved VPN provider thanks to it efficient service. It has a wealth of other great features that make it perfect for streaming content that is otherwise restricted in New Zealand.
- One of the most secure on the market – VPNs are a pretty safe way of browsing the internet, but NordVPN’s network is one of the safest out there.
- No logs policy – by not keeping logs of users’ online activities, NordVPN ensure that they can never have their systems compromised and their users’ identities revealed by not keeping information on file in the first instance.
- Double data encryption – a method NordVPN employs to keep their network secure is to use a stringent double data encryption plan.
- Kill switch – should your VPN through NordVPN cut out for any reason, then the application’s kill switch maintains user anonymity by automatically cutting the internet connection entirely – perfect if you’re accessing content from New Zealand that you shouldn’t be.
- It has 1000+ servers – its streaming speeds aren’t materially affected even with heavy duty security in place. Those accessing restricted content from New Zealand can, therefore, do so with ease.
- Easy to use – NordVPN can be set up quickly and used straight away with little how to help.
- 24/7 support – if you have a problem that you can’t solve yourself, the 24/7 chat system will help.
- Cost is competitive on 2 year plan – at just $3.29, NordVPN’s price is hard to beat.
- $11.95 a month
- $9.00 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.99 a month for a 12-month plan
- Special deal: $3.99 a month for a 24-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
This VPN provider consistently satisfies its audiences by enabling them to watch any restricted content on the internet – even all the way down in New Zealand.
- 200 country locations – this allows for easy switching between servers to ensure you can watch or stream restricted content whenever you want, from wherever you want.
- OpenVPN encryption protocols – these ensure your identity and your online activity is kept secret at all times.
- IP leak protection – this aids a user’s online security and allows them to remain anonymous.
- Five devices can be used or connected at once – it’s perfect for a family who needs a VPN or even a small business.
Reasons for Caution:
- HideMyAss does keep some logs but they’re subject to British law where the company is based. Depending on the person, some British users may want to use another service to protect their online identity.
- $11.52 a month
- $8.33 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.56 a month for a 12-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee (it’s a little strict so be sure to read the T&Cs)
SaferVPN offers a high standard VPN that is suitable for use in New Zealand with a pretty competitive price plan.
- 700+ servers – Though not in a huge amount of countries, (in fact SaferVPN’s servers are only in 34 country locations around the globe) it still has a huge amount of servers in the first place making for a consistently reliable service.
- 256 bit encryption – one of the best bits of encryption kits around, users can look at restricted content from New Zealand with no fear of being caught.
- No logs – SaferVPN’s customers can be confident that their data will not be shared with any third parties due to the no logs policy the firm has.
- Simple to use – VPNs aren’t always the most logical to use but SaferVPN has an easy to use interface.
- High speeds – lastly, but by no means least, SaferVPN has quick connection speeds so that streaming content from New Zealand is a painless experience.
- $9.99 a month
- $6.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $5.99 a month for a 12-months plan
- $2.99 for a month for a two-year plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
PrivateVPN has its drawbacks, but it is mainly fine to use for streaming content or browsing the internet from New Zealand. Especially when considering its low prices for some of its subscription plans.
- No logs – Importantly, customers won’t have their online activity shared with anyone else as PrivateVPN doesn’t keep logs to pass on to authorities or any other third party.
- Supports majority of devices – Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS can all be used with PrivateVPN for a streaming session in New Zealand.
- 80 servers in total – this is a slightly smaller amount of servers than some providers and there isn’t the great depth of locations but it still manages to provide an above average service.
- $8.21 a month
- $5.63 a month for a three-month plan
- $4.15 a month for a 13-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
PrivateVPN comes in at the cheaper end of the market, but it is still able to provide above average service to its users.
- Unlimited bandwidth – with a no throttling policy, IPVanish ensures its Kiwi customers will be happy when they stream entire Netflix box sets totally buffer free.
- Two connections per subscription – it’s great for a computer and a mobile device for travel.
- Straightforward application – makes it a doddle to use for any internet browsing or streaming needs.
Reasons for Caution:
- It’s not great to use on a mobile Apple device – (Stick with ExpressVPN if you need it for a mobile Apple device)
- It only has email help available around the clock – if an immediate response is needed it’s not the best for customer service.
- $10.00 a month
- $8.99 a month for a three-month plan
- $6.49 a month for a 12-month plan billed annually
- 7-day money-back guarantee
PureVPN has many attractive features that have made it a popular option for a VPN provider. For the below reasons it is fantastic for those wanting to stream restricted content in New Zealand.
- Servers in over 130 countries – whilst this is always important for a VPN provider, PureVPN interestingly has servers in Poland, Russia, China and the UAE which is unusual. Users can, therefore, access a whole host of content that may otherwise be geo blocked in New Zealand.
- Quick connection speeds – this imperative feature for a VPN is very much present in PureVPN’s offering. For those wanting to stream video in New Zealand, it makes for trouble free viewing.
- Excellent encryption and automatic protocol selection – both are great characteristics for a VPN as it further improves a user’s online security.
- Strong internet firewalls, a kill switch and a no logs policy – making it a very safety conscious VPN provider.
- $11.95 a month
- $8.95 a month for a six-month plan
- $2.91 a month for a two-year plan
- 7-day money-back guarantee (quite strict so be sure to read T&Cs)
Can I Use Proxies To Access Restricted New Zealand Sites?
Proxies work in a similar way to VPNs by giving users a new IP address – or at least the illusion of one.
They’re not a particularly effective long term solution though. Many internet sites are savvy to the IP addresses that proxies supply so block users anyway.
Additionally, the safety features that using a VPN provides are non existent with a proxy server. The service is slow as well.
VPNs win hands-down when compared to proxies. Especially when the ones that we recommend aren’t more than a few dollars a month either. They’re definitely worth the money.
Free VPNs in New Zealand
In our view, there is no point even trying a free VPN provider when trying to access restricted content in New Zealand.
You will find that the service provided is incredibly slow to the point of it being almost impossible to watch even the shortest video without buffering issues. To make even more revenue, they have to have smaller networks of servers.
Plus it will be a very unsafe way to surf the web. Free VPN providers often make their money by selling customer data and information – user identities are often revealed and exposed to risk signing up to one of these services.
The Bottom Line: ExpressVPN for New Zealand
If you want unrestricted content while living or traveling in New Zealand, a VPN is the only practical way to go. Our VPN provider recommendations will all provide access to the internet and its sites that are otherwise blocked by the Kiwi government.
Our top pick is ExpressVPN. It does everything a VPN needs to and does so efficiently. Browsing and streaming through the internet is a safe activity when using ExpressVPN and easy too.