Best VPN for Hong Kong in 2019
Though Hong Kong is not subject to the same internet censorship as the rest of China, there are concerns about government monitoring online activity. Political content, in particular, can put you at risk of having your emails and activity monitored.
By using a VPN, you can prevent these breaches of your privacy and protect your anonymity. VPNs work by changing your IP address and encrypting your information, giving you unlimited access and total privacy.
Top 3 VPNs for Hong Kong
Before looking at what the top 3 VPNs for use in Hong Kong are, it makes sense to learn exactly what a VPN is so that they can be compared for user suitability more easily.
Simply put VPNs are Virtual Private Networks. They work by putting you through an encrypted tunnel on the internet and routing your connection off of a remote server. In addition, the company will also provide you with an alternate IP address, bypassing regional content blocks altogether. This means that not only is your connection secure, but your privacy is guaranteed, and there’s no way for anyone to pinpoint your location.
To make it onto our list of recommendations, therefore, VPN providers need to be able to provide:
- Top quality encryption techniques
- A wide and large selection of servers
- A vast number of alternate IP addresses
Whether security or accessibility is your main concern, ExpressVPN has you covered both ways. Their IP address concealment opens up your access from every corner of the world given that they have with servers in 78 countries around the globe. So if you want to access geo-restricted content while in Hong Kong, ExpressVPN should be your first port of call. However, it also has a whole host of other features that set it apart from its competition.
- Customer service – Where ExpressVPN really rises above the competition, is with their customer service, which is fantastic news for those that are based in Hong Kong especially given their 24/7 support so that subscribers do not have to wait for Western opening times. With ExpressVPN, you’ll get awesome features like:
- live chat and email channels
- average e-mail response time of less than 30 minutes
- Money back guarantee – ExpressVPN also has an unheard of 30 day money back guarantee, where you can receive a full refund if you’re not happy for any reason. If you love their service though, be sure to tell a friend, because you can both get a month of free service through their awesome referral program.
- Multi device compatibility – ExpressVPN’s software is compatible with every major operating system, and can even be used on up to three devices simultaneously. If you need protection on both a home and mobile device when in HongKong, this is the VPN for you.
Ultimately, ExpressVPN also has some of the strongest encryption on the web, with the use of 256 Bit AES encryption techniques, amongst other strong protocols. This is great news to keep you safe from government surveillance when in Hong Kong. For the most comprehensive VPN service available, check out ExpressVPN. And make dure to read our full ExpressVPN review
Another option for advanced security that doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg would be IPVanish. Their monthly rates are affordable and the service that the company provides is excellent – especially for those in Hong Kong concerned about their online security as well as being in need of a way around geo restrictions. It also has these fantastic features:
- Multiple, simultaneous connections – Like ExpressVPN, they also allow you to connect to up to two devices simultaneously. Plus it works on a whole host of operating software packages like Linux, Windows, Mac and Android. So when you live in Hong Kong and have an array of devices, IPVanish will be suitable for you.
- Excellent customer service – IPVanish has customer service that’s pretty comparable to Express VPN’s, with support staff available 24/7 to answer your questions via live chat and email. That being said, the main difference is the response time isn’t as fast as ExpressVPN’s, especially with e-mail inquiries.
- Unlimited Bandwidth – Many people want to use a VPN to increase both their protection and to unblock content that is restricted so that they can stream videos, movies or TV shows. However, some VPN providers cap the amount of data a user can download, so that users can sometimes use up their allowance in any one month. With boxsets, it is incredibly easily done. If you are using a VPN in Hong Kong to stream data demanding content, then IPVanish is suitable because it has unlimited bandwidth available on all its packages.
Overall, IPVanish is another good VPN option, so if you can’t access an Express VPN server for some reason, give them a try next.
IPVanish can be found here.
HideMyAss remains a popular VPN and is suitable for use in Hong Kong for those that want to improve their online security in addition to unblocking any geo restricted content. The reason being is that has a whole host of features that make it a good option to use if you cannot get a connection with ExpressVPN.
- Large network – When it comes to VPN provision, the best VPN providers are those that have a large number of servers. It means that it can provide a connection every time that a user demands one. HideMyAss has one of the largest networks out there so users in Hong Kong can be confident that they can establish their own VPN with a HideMyAss server each and every time.
- Global network – in addition to having a large network of servers, HideMyAss, as every reputable VPN provider should, has servers located in many different places around the globe so that subscribers can unblock a great deal of content that is blocked for geographical reasons. HideMyAss has its network of servers located in over 150 countries.
- Multiple device connections – HideMyAss software will work on all devices so it’s a great VPN to choose if you have many different types of operating software to contend with. Plus, it allows simultaneous connections too so that users in Hong Kong can stream content through many devices at once, with just the one subscription.
While we would always recommend ExpressVPN in the first instance, HideMyAss is a viable alternative for those that don’t get along with our number one choice.
HideMyAss is here.
So Why Can’t I Access Anything In Hong Kong?
Hong Kong is a bit of anomaly in China. It doesn’t fall under the same rules as the rest of the country, since it’s a Special Administrative Region (SAR).
While they definitely don’t have the same strict internet censorship as the rest of China, Hong Kong internet users are still subject to some surveillance, particularly if they’re accessing political content.
Regardless of your intentions on the internet, if this makes you a little uneasy and you plan on spending some time in Hong Kong, consider signing up for a VPN before you go.
In this article, we look at the top VPNs to use when in Hong Kong that will mean that you never have to worry about having your anonymity exposed or your privacy breached.
Privacy Laws and Regulations Surrounding Using A VPN in Hong Kong
As previously mentioned, Hong Kong has less stringent internet usage laws than the rest of China – where the censorship laws are exceedingly strong and many websites or apps are banned from common day to day use. That being said VPNs are actually legal to use in China as well as Hong Kong.
The difficulties arise when it comes to what a person uses a VPN for. A Chinese citizen or someone simply visiting China, is still not meant to access censored content. If they do, they are breaking the law so that if they are caught, they are subject to punishment that have been dictated by the Chinese government. Using a VPN to access that censored content just makes a person that much more difficult to find in the first place by the authorities.
Despite its more relaxed laws when it comes to the internet, the same is true of Hong Kong. While Hong Kong is outside the Great Fire Wall, there is still activity that people partake in online that is illegal. Even if users employ a VPN to stay anonymous and more difficult to find by authorities, they are still breaking the law if they access content that is deemed illegal or if they conduct hacking activities.
Using A VPN To Stream Content Restricted to Hong Kong
Citizens of Hong Kong may want to use a VPN when they leave the city so that they can still access content from streaming services that they use when at home. This content could well be restricted when they leave Hong Kong, so a VPN is vital if they want to circumnavigate those blocks. For instance, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus all have subscription services available in Hong Kong. This means that its users may be addicted to a box set or movie franchise that one of those services has the rights to, but is unavailable with any IP address that is not linked to Hong Kong.
Sadly enough, government snooping is just as much of a concern as hacking and identity theft these days. Though Hong Kong is definitely much more free in terms of internet censorship than the rest of China, there is still a concern that political activity is monitored.
Even if you’re just watching Netflix, it’s a good idea to use a VPN to protect yourself from both the prying eyes of the Chinese government, as well as potential hackers and identity thieves.
The best VPN will give you unlimited access to all of your favorite content, and make your connection incredibly secure. It will also ensure your online activity stays totally anonymous.
And that’s exactly what you get with ExpressVPN along with very easy to use software, multiple connections, and great customer service.