Best VPNs For Torrenting in 2018 - Keeping Your P2P Activity Private
Torrenting is a reality of the modern world. Though governments are clamping down on the practice, file-sharing is only increasing in popularity.
Unfortunately, the risk to our security when we torrent is under threat. If you don’t use a high-quality P2P VPN, then you could end up being prosecuted for downloading a single file! Follow our guide to stay safe!
Best VPN For Torrenting:ExpressVPN
Torrenting is the practice of downloading fragments of a specific file from numerous locations. Other users will ‘seed’ the piece of media, and your torrent client will gather different parts from different computers, before reassembling them for you to download.
The benefit of this is that it reduces the pressure on any single server, which speeds up the process considerably.
Why is Your Data at Risk When Torrenting?
Torrenting has become a hot topic recently, as major production houses and record labels began to notice a significant drop in their profits. Although the practice has occurred for years, it wasn’t until it affected producer’s income that firms decided to take offense. Today, all over the world, torrenters are facing arrests, fines and legal warning for downloading a few songs, the latest season of a TV show, a movie or two, or even a book. The fuss made by the big media businesses has even encouraged certain governments to tighten laws around P2P file-sharing.
Overall, it’s usually those who seed and share enormous amounts of copyrighted data that are targeted by authorities. However, an increasing number of cases have arisen of unlucky users being unfairly targeted and prosecuted. For example, a woman from Minnesota was fined $1.9m for downloading only 24 songs.
Furthermore, cybercriminals are known to lurk in the grey areas of the web. Torrent sites are ideal portals for hackers to intercept your information and use it for their own financial gain. Not only that, but they will also inject P2P files with malware for unsuspecting people to download.
To avoid trouble, you don’t have to stop torrenting completely. Instead, take steps to protect your identity when you download.
VPN for Torrenting – Stay Anonymous
If you want to stay anonymous, VPN software is the best choice. Usually, torrenters are easily traceable, as their IP address is shared whenever they connect to the web through a site or torrent client.
When you torrent through a VPN, your traffic is redirected through an alternate server, assigning you a new IP code and hiding your location.
On top of this, the initial data tunnel is encrypted, so any onlookers are unable to decipher your identity or online activity. All the data packet will reveal is scrambled code.
Once connected, anonymous VPN users can download freely, without fear of legal repercussions or information theft.
Popular torrent sites include:
- The Pirate Bay
- Torrents.me Most Popular Torrent Sites list
Unfortunately, a price must be paid for the convenience torrenting assures; the practice has become increasingly risky as it’s risen in popularity.
Get the Best P2P VPN
The first requirement is to find a P2P friendly VPN, as some providers no longer support file-sharing on their servers. Further than this, the following factors are all essential when looking for the best VPN for torrenting.
- Strong Encryption. Military-grade encryption is becoming an industry standard for those who want to ensure their safety.
- Speed & Reliability. A fast VPN is necessary to ensure capacity for downloading, and making sure your connection doesn’t drop out and reveal your identity is paramount for privacy.
- No Data-Logs. VPN providers that record your data and connections could hand this information over to authorities. We looked for companies with no logs, which are based in countries with no data retention laws.
- Unlimited Bandwidth. As downloading is very data heavy, bandwidth caps will considerably affect your ability to torrent.
- Additional Security. Many providers offer extra security to maintain your anonymity so that you can file-share with complete peace of mind.
We tested some of the most popular VPNs on the market to establish a list of front-runners for your torrenting needs!
TOP VPN for Torrenting
#1 ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Torrenting
The best VPN services for torrenting need to guarantee security and speed. ExpressVPN is a well-known and trusted provider, who offers a fast and reliable service, with premium customer support for all users.
Because of this, we rated ExpressVPN as the best VPN for P2P.
- 99.99% uptime guarantee ensures your identity will be protected, whenever you download.
- Vast server network promises you’ll never experience throttled speeds or bottlenecks that will slow your download.
- AES-256 military-grade encryption provides the highest level of security possible for your data.
- $12.95 per month.
- $6.67 per month with an annual membership – plus, an extra three months free!
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Without any doubt ExpressVPN is our #1 choice, it has all you need for Torrenting! Find more about ExpressVPN here!
#2 NordVPN – One of the fastest we have tested.
NordVPN rated as the fastest VPN for torrenting, alongside boasting numerous additional security features to keep your data safe.
Known for their comprehensive dedicated to customer privacy, they offer a bespoke user experience that streamlines file-sharing significantly.
- Dedicated P2P servers offer auto-configuration for optimizes speeds when downloading.
- DoubleVPN feature diverts your traffic through two alternate servers, to increase anonymity and ensure protection.
- Auto-connect and kill switch options cut your internet if the VPN should fail, ensuring you’re never left vulnerable when torrenting.
- $11.95 per month.
- $6.99 per month with an annual subscription
- $3.99pm for a two-year package.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Perfect customer privacy and super fast VPN, Sign up with NordVPN here.
#3 PrivateVPN – Excellent P2P-friendly option if you’re on a tight budget.
PrivateVPN is based in Sweden, so it’s protected by some of the strongest privacy laws in the world. This factor makes it another great VPN service for torrenting.
They provide unlimited bandwidth and 2048-bit military-grade encryption. Although their speeds are not the fastest, they’re adequate for P2P.
- Swedish headquarters mean no logs are kept, and sign-ups can be completely anonymous.
- A technician can remotely install and configure the client -ideal for beginner users.
- A variety of connection protocols are available, which can increase speed and security.
- $8.21 per month.
- $4.15 per month with an annual subscription – plus, an extra month free!
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Despite its low cost, PrivateVPN doesn’t compromise on security, you can Sign up with PrivateVPN here.
#4 IPVanish – IPVanish was built specifically for torrenters.
IPVanish is the most well-known VPN that allows torrenting. It was initially designed for file-sharers and offers numerous protocols and security features. However, speeds do vary considerably, depending on which server you choose for connection.
The client also keeps connection logs, but they are anonymous and can be viewed easily by users – so you can keep track of the information they record.
- Unrestricted P2P allowed on all servers, for increased convenience.
- Compatible with nearly every platform imaginable, including smartphones, smart TVs, and most operating systems.
- $10.00 per month.
- $6.49 per month with an annual subscription.
- 7-day money-back guarantee.
Sign up with .IPVanish here
#5 PureVPN – PureVPN is known as one of the fastest VPNs on the market today.
PureVPN is another good VPN for torrenting, due to its fast network, numerous servers and complex customization features.
Based in Hong Kong, they aren’t required to keep any data logs. However, an incident occurred in which a PureVPN user was arrested using the connection logs that are saved.
The service does provide additional security features, so you’re only likely to be prosecuted if you are flagged by another method, and your connections are then requested.
- Speed Tests allow you to ping potential servers before committing to a connection.
- StealthVPN disguises your VPN traffic, so it flies under the radar or any prying eyes.
- $9.95 per month.
- $4.95 per month with an annual subscription.
- 7-day money-back guarantee.
Sign up with PureVPN here
Most Popular BitTorrent Clients
Torrents can downloaded via specific software. The following are the best P2P clients for fast and easy file-sharing.
- BitTorrent – For web-based seeding, commenting and reviewing use BitTorrent; VPN protection means you can share without worrying.
- uTorrent – Also managed by BitTorrent, this client is lightweight and easy-to-use. Although it’s had some privacy troubles in the past, using uTorrent with VPN will void many potential threats.
- Bitport.io – This no-client service allows you to torrent to your cloud. You can even stream the files online instead of downloading them.
- Tixati – Tixati is a Windows and Linux client that boasts a no spyware/adware guarantee. It has a simple UI and drag-and-drop features, for easy and convenient torrenting.
- qBittorent – Unlike others, qBittorent is an ad-free platform with an integrated search engine. It uses minimal CPU and is hailed by many as an open source version of uTorrent.
Paid vs. Free VPN for Torrenting
Free VPNs many seem like an attractive option, but they are far from adequate for torrenting. The problem is that no-cost clients fail to provide reliable core features. They are often slow and come with bandwidth limitations, which means your downloads may stop before they’re finished.
Perhaps more importantly, free VPNs are inconsistent when it comes to security. The connection regularly drops out, leaving your data vulnerable to surveillance. To ensure your privacy, it’s essential to use the very best VPN for torrenting. If you want guaranteed safety for low-cost, we recommend taking advantage of the trial and money-back periods offered by premium clients.
Is Torrenting Illegal?
Though the actual practice of torrenting is not illegal, the problem arises due to the nature of the content downloaded. Copyright laws protect most media, so obtaining it without a license is illegal. As more governments clamp down on copyright infringement, torrenting certain music, movies, and other content could get you in serious trouble.
That’s why it’s so important to use a P2P friendly VPN, whenever you download from a torrent site.
Best Torrenting VPN
Torrenting is a fast and straightforward way to consume your favorite media. Unfortunately, it now poses an unarguable risk your privacy. If you don’t want to give up the convenience file-sharing affords, then it’s essential to use a top-quality VPN.
We recommend ExpressVPN and the best VPN for P2P, due to its strong encryption, fast service and trusted reputation.