How to Watch the US Open Tennis Tournament
The US Open Tournament at Flushing Meadows is on every year at the end of August and runs for a couple of weeks. This year, it starts on the 27th of August and finishes on the 9th of September.
ESPN and CBS Sports broadcast the event, but if you are abroad or you don’t have access to those networks, you unfortunately won’t be able to watch the Grand Slam.
It is possible to stream the tournament online, however the networks will stop those trying to access their streaming service from outside the allowed geographical locations.
To workaround these geo blocks, a VPN can be used so tennis fans can stay up-to-date with the latest matches from New York.
For the best streaming of the U.S. Open on any continent, get Express VPN now.
How Does A VPN Work?
Your IP address gives your location away to internet providers and websites, which is all they need to know in order to block your access.
A VPN hides your true location by masking your IP address and giving you a new one that is attached to a server (operating from another country) owned by your VPN provider.
A VPN also encrypts your connection so that surfing the net and US Open Tennis streaming remains a safe activity for you, your computer, and your online identity.
The Best VPNs to Watch The US Open Online
We’ve reviewed a large number of VPNs available and listed our top recommendations with the purpose of accessing the US open online. We rated them all on:
- Speed of servers
A fast connection is required for the ultimate US Open tennis live streaming experience. Without a quick connection speed from a VPN provider’s servers, all you will see when watching US Open tennis is a great deal of buffering, frozen screens and pixelation – just at a crucial point in the match.
- Amount of servers
This goes hand in hand with the speed of the servers that a VPN provider has in its network. More servers mean that a provider will never be overloaded by the demand of its customers. It makes certain that customers can connect and start streaming live US Open tennis straight away.
- Number of server locations
With watching the US Open in mind, many servers in the US are needed so that a US IP address can be given to customers wanting to stream all the action live to their iPhones and desktops
- Privacy policies
While not strictly necessary to watch the US Open, subscribing to a VPN provider who has strict privacy policies is good practice. Maintaining your online security is a general bonus of any VPN. Meaning that even if you are streaming the US Open tennis live, you aren’t at risk of being hacked or having any personal data exposed.
Top 3 VPNs for Watching the US Open Tennis Tournament
#1. Express VPN – Fastest, most reliable connection, best for streaming
Express VPN remains one of the most popular VPNs for having all the required features that a quality VPN needs.
- Fast and reliable connection – users will never miss a point when using ExpressVPN to stream US Open tennis with its quick connection speeds. Customers will rarely experience annoying buffering or pixelation
- Encryption is military grade – ExpressVPN uses cutting edge privacy measures to ensure its users and their data remains private at all times.
- Easy to use – ExpressVPN is good for beginners as it is intuitive to use.
- 24/7 support – available through a live chat feature so should you have an issue watching a late night tennis match, you can get your problem resolved immediately.
- Compatible with almost all operating systems – those wanting to watch the US Open can do so with this VPN on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, and iOS.
- Unlimited bandwidth – Customers won’t experience an ill timed slow down in connection with ExpressVPN’s unlimited bandwidth.
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.67 a month for a 15-month plan (including three months free!)
- 30-day money back guarantee
For the most reliable streaming of the US Open, get Express VPN right now.
#2. IPVanish – Fast connection, but not for iOS users
We have a couple of reservations about IPVanish , but if you want to watch the US Open live by streaming it on your computer or mobile device, it should be able to handle it without any drama.
- Unlimited bandwidth – by not setting a cap on the amount of data used, customers can watch all Grand Slam matches, however long they are, without fear of missing important rallies.
- Two connections – US Open live streaming is possible on a mobile device and a desktop computer as IPVanish allows two connections with its subscription plans.
- Straightforward to use – IPVanish is perfect for users who do not find using technology easy. It’s very straightforward to use.
Reasons for Caution:
- Not the best option for streaming the tennis with a mobile Apple device – Stick with ExpressVPN for this
- Only email support is available – if you have a problem watching the tennis at a crucial point, responses to your help queries may not be quick enough to get you back to the tennis match immediately.
- $10.00 a month.
- $8.99 a month for a three-month plan.
- $6.49 a month for a 12-month plan billed annually.
- 7-day money-back guarantee.
There are definitely some shortcomings to this VPN service, but their connection is sound, and usually just as fast as Express VPN.
Sign up for IPVanish here.
#3: HideMyAss – Slower connection, passable service
HideMyAss is a well liked VPN provider that can handle surges in demand around sporting events like the US Open. It’s also got some pretty watertight safety protocols in place.
- Over 200 country locations – Switching between servers to ensure a consistent picture when streaming the US Open is possible owing to HideMyAss’s large network of servers.
- OpenVPN encryption protocols – the encryption techniques used by HideMyAss are high quality so that users can be assured of a safe streaming session.
- IP leak protection – a helpful feature to help watch tennis without being traced, HideMyAss VPNs all have added IP leak protection.
- Five connections – Perfect for a small business or families, HideMyAss allows up to 5 devices to be connected to its VPN servers at a time with just one subscription.
Reasons for Caution:
- It does keep some logs – as it’s a British based company, it has to follow British laws which mandate that some logs are kept of user identities and online activity.
- $11.52 a month.
- $8.33 a month for a six-month plan.
- $6.56 a month for a 12-month plan.
- 30-day money back guarantee (it’s a little strict so be sure to read the T&Cs).
Sign up for HideMyAss here.
Why Is The US Open Blocked Online?
People trying to watch US Open Tennis on their iPhone or desktops from outside the US will find that their access is blocked, as the broadcasters (ESPN and CBS) have bought the rights to air it.
To make money back from this investment, they limit where the tennis matches are aired to earn revenue from advertising.
Additionally, as customers of ESPN and CBS have subscribed to their service for a fee, ESPN and CBS have to restrict where content, like the US Open live tennis match, is viewed to remain fair to their paying customers.
Should I Use A Free VPN To Watch The Tennis Online?
We would never recommend using a VPN that is free to watch the US open online. It simply is not worth it.
Firstly, VPN providers who offer their services for free, will often do so without the proper privacy policies in place that paid for providers have. This results in users’ identities sometimes being revealed as well as their online activity.
Secondly, and most importantly, when it comes to streaming US Open Tennis free, the quality of the picture will be poor. Free VPN providers do not have enough servers with quick connections that can handle the demand of streaming live US Open Tennis. Often, they won’t have enough servers in the right locations either, which is required to access this location specific content.
Our recommended VPN providers offer subscription plans at nothing more than a few dollars a month, for such a small amount of money you won’t risk missing those crucial match points.
The Best Way To Access The US Open Online
We recommend ExpressVPN, above all others available, to watch the US Open online. It is quick, safe, and highly reliable, so that users can be certain of watching every point as it happens.
It can handle US Open live streaming on an iPhone and other devices, and maintains the security of its customers at all time. ExpressVPN users are never disappointed in the service they receive.
For the best customer support and fastest streaming of the US Open, use Express VPN.