Best VPN For Geo-blocking 2018
Tired of geo-restrictions telling you what you can and can’t watch?
If you’ve ever sat down in front of your computer to watch one of your usual shows while on vacation only to see the dreaded “The uploader has not made this video available in your country” warning sign, you know the pain of geo-restrictions.
Now, you can learn just what is geo-blocking, and find the simplest workaround for how to unblock content like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO, and anything else that you want to access regardless of where you may be in the world.
We’ll teach you how to get a VPN, set it up, and run it so your favorite shows can be viewed whenever you want them.
Best VPN To Bypass GeoBlocking: ExpressVPN
What is Geo-Blocking & Why is there Geo-Blocked Content?
Geoblocking is a method used to restrict access to specific content according to a particular location.
This happens whether or not you have an active account that normally permits you to use the service.
Geo-blocking is done by tracking your IP address to its location and restricting those addresses that are outside the jurisdiction for that content.
There are several reasons why a country might have an IP geo-block such as:
- Legal reasons, including copyright infringement.
- Government blocks, such as those on gambling and/or pornography websites.
- Price differentiation between locations.
- Geographically-based marketing campaigns like the ones launched before a movie debut.
- Employers geo-block content so employees don’t waste time streaming videos when they should be working.
Geoblocking Netflix and other streaming sites are primarily due to legal issues. Streaming services sign licensing agreements with cable companies and networks to host their content.
These contracts require them to limit the content in specific countries. For example, BBC iPlayer can only show content to UK citizens currently IN the country, because British citizens pay a tax to fund broadcasting.
Making this available to the rest of the world is sort of giving everyone who doesn’t pay the tax a free ride at Britain’s expense.
IP geo-blocking doesn’t always restrict content completely. Some sites will tailor the content for a particular location.
For example, you can see certain Netflix shows in France, while you can access other shows while visiting Italy.
In some countries like China, hundreds of websites are blocked. This is more for political reasons, but there are plenty of TV streaming sites that are restricted as well.
How Can I Get Around Geo-Blocked Content?
Now that we’ve answered the basic question of what is geo-blocking, the next question is how to unblock content restricted by geoblocking.
In today’s digital world, it’s a game of cat and mouse trying to unblock video streaming sites. The companies put up walls to block alternative routes to the content, and we find ways to access blocked content online.
So, the companies crack down and come up with stronger filters, and the cycle continues.
The good news is there are easy ways to unblock blocked content online, and all you need to do is get a RELIABLE VPN for geo-blocking.
A VPN (virtual private network) masks your activity on the internet by routing requests through an encrypted connection.
By routing your connection through a server located in a different country, the content you are trying to reach doesn’t know where you originally came from. The service you are trying to reach will only see the server IP, so they won’t block the content.
Now as for installing and setup of a VPN, each VPN company has its own software and installation steps. Basically, they all work in similar fashion, and we have detailed reviews of every VPN company with installation guides. For example, in our ExpressVPN review, you will find an installation guide under the paragraph titled “Setup and Usability”.
We strongly recommend ExpressVPN to bypass Geo-blocked content and other blocked content, sign up with ExpressVPN here.
There are several benefits you’ll get from using a VPN including:
- The ability to unblock blocked content online.
- A greater level of privacy when streaming and surfing.
- The ability to use public WiFi hotspots without fear.
So, getting a VPN to unblock video streaming is really the way to go. It’s faster, easier, and opens up a world of possibilities.
Get the Best VPN for Geo-Blocking
Of course, not all VPNs give you the same level of service or quality of connection. Even top-quality services don’t all offer you the right combination of features to get what you need to bypass geo-blocking.
If you want to get the best VPN for geo-blocked content, you should look for these features:
- Multiple Server Connections. The more servers, the faster and easier you’ll be able to connect to your content. Look for servers in lots of countries to unblock sites everywhere. Remember, UK players require a location in the UK, so make sure the service provides you with plenty of locations in the area you need.
- Fast Speeds. Streaming at a sluggish pace hardly makes the workaround worth the effort. Look for a VPN with fast speeds to compensate for all the work it has to do unblocking your shows.
- No Bandwidth Limits. If you get throttled after a few shows, the service isn’t worth the monthly fee. Find a VPN with unlimited bandwidth so you can stream undisturbed.
- Strong Encryption. Stronger encryption keeps you hidden from the service you are trying to access better. If they find out your real location, the content will be blocked, so look for something with strong encryption to keep you hidden.
- No Logs Policy. A VPN that logs your information is almost as bad as streaming directly since you could be held accountable for trying to bypass systems. While there is nothing illegal about what you’re doing, nobody wants to be part of a lengthy investigation. A company that has a no-logs policy can’t hand over your info even if they wanted to.
- IP Leak Protection. An IP leak is when your address can be seen for some reason. When this happens, your content will be restricted once more. Having IP leak protection is like setting up a firewall that won’t allow information to leave your computer unless it is cloaked, so your IP address won’t be seen.
Now you know what makes a good VPN for unblocking geo-restricted content. In the following section, we’ll show you the best IP blocker VPNs.
These are our top preferences based on our research for getting around those pesky guards.
Best VPN to unblock Geo-Blocked content
#1 ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Geo-blocking with lots of servers and rapid speeds.
If you’re wondering how to bypass blocked content, ExpressVPN is regarded as the top of the line for geo-blocked content.
It has some of the most diversely distributed servers geographically of any of the VPN services out there, allows for P2P and BitTorrent, and even supports OpenVPN protocol.
ExpressVPN also has a kill switch (another form of IP leak protection), built-in router connection, and super-fast speeds.
In short, it gives you the protection you want along with an effortless way to get your favorite content unblocked.
- 1 Month: $12.95
- 6 Months: $59.95
- 12 Months: $99.95
ExpressVPN doesn’t offer a free trial, but you do get a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can test out the service to see how reliable it is for unblocking content.
#2 NordVPN – Extremely high VPN speed, perfect for streaming Videos.
NordVPN is another answer to how to access blocked content. You get a lot from this service including privacy, speed, and flexibility.
NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy, multiple device connectivity, and dedicated IP addresses for faster connections. You’ll also have access to 2,000+ servers around the world and a convenient ad blocker.
Finally, NordVPN is an extremely helpful service that shows you how to unblock content on Chrome and any other browser with step-by-step tutorials.
- 1 Month: $11.95
- 1 year: $69
- 2 years: $79
NordVPN is competitively priced and has some good deals including a 3-day free trial and 30-day money back guarantee (however, only if the service doesn’t work, not just for unsatisfied customers).
#3 SaferVPN – Really safe, but no torrenting or P2P sharing
SaferVPN is yet another great option for unblocking geo-restricted content. With this service, you’ll get unlimited bandwidth, servers located in more than 35 global locations, and 24/7 live chat support.
SaferVPN also has effortless syncing of all your devices for seamless streaming.
- 1 Month: $8.99
- 1 Year: $65.88
- 2 Years: $78.96
SaferVPN has a 30-day money back guarantee so that you can try it out without strings attached, and you can even test drive the service completely for free for 24 hours.
Can I Use a Proxy to Get Around Geo-Blocking?
You might be wondering how to access blocked content if you don’t have a VPN. Is there another possibility? Well, if you’ve done a little research, you’ve probably heard about proxy servers.
A proxy is another form of information rechanneling to allow your IP address to be hidden. With an active proxy server, any data sent over will be redirected through the proxy.
The proxy server has no geo-restrictions so that you can access all your content with ease.
You may ask what are the differences between a proxy server and a VPN?
A proxy server will only secure your torrent client or web browser. Whereas a VPN will encrypt and secure your entire internet connection, as well as be totally anonymous. The connection speed is much faster with a VPN which is quite important for streaming videos. a VPN will more or less replace your local ISP routing for all applications, you can find more information on proxy servers here.
If you are wondering how to bypass blocked content, a proxy might seem like a good solution. It is, but it isn’t, and here’s why:
- Because these services have been around for a while, companies already recognize this trick and blacklist the proxy IPs. That means you can’t use them to access the content you are trying to unblock. Proxies also lack any sophistication in terms of encryption, so they’re easier to read and blacklist as well.
- Additionally, proxies can’t handle several plugins and scripts that are frequently used to run content such as Flash Player and Java.
- Other configuration issues also arise frequently with SOCKS proxies, making them difficult to manage on multiple devices.
- Finally, proxies are terribly slow, making streaming unbearable.
Will Tor Unblock Geo-Blocked Content?
On the search for how to unblock Content, you’ll also come across a discussion about TORs. This stands for The Onion Router, and it basically acts like a volleyball game with your internet activity.
It takes your request and bounces it around to different locations, confusing the service you are trying to access.
Because it is being redirected, the service (Netflix for example) can’t tell where you are located, so it doesn’t know to geo-restrict the content.
Sounds great, right? Except that TORs are not extremely effective, and here’s why.
- TOR network has been the focus of several successful hack attacks in the past.
- It is under close scrutiny of the FBI.
- It has little network integrity.
- It is very slow.
The network integrity is obvious based on the repeated attacks TOR network has sustained. As for the speed, well, that has to do with the process of bouncing your request around so many times.
It’s bound to be more sluggish than a direct connection.
People aren’t advised to use a TOR on its own. However, one option that has been successful in combining a TOR and a VPN.
When you do this, you receive the speed and encryption powers of the VPN along with the anonymity of the TOR. The best of both worlds! Discover more about the best VPN for TOR here.
Countering Geo-blocking: Achieved!
If you’ve been looking for solutions how to bypass geo-blocking, VPNs are the way to go.
Offering the fastest, easiest, and most reliable connections together with strong security and a good level of privacy as well, VPNs will show you how to get around blocked content so that you can stream with ease.
Access your facvorite blocked content with one of our top VPN providers, ExpressVPN, who offer a simple solution for geo-blocking.