Best VPN for Chatroulette in 2019
The popular anonymous video chat site, Chatroulette, allows users to switch between conversations all over the world – you never quite know who you’re going to end up speaking to, which is half the fun!
But Chatroulette is often blocked or banned for users. One slip-up or report from another user can bring your video call stream crashing down. Plus, government instituted censorship programs sometimes restrict access to sites that offer communication services, so Chatroulette can be banned simply based in your country as well.
If you want to find a way around these annoying bans, you’ll need to hide your IP address. Doing so is key to bypassing a Chatroulette ban, and with the right tools and know-how you can pick up right where you left off.
Want to get started? The best VPN For Chatroulette is Express VPN.
What is ChatRoulette?
Launched in 2009, Chatroulette spun into the world offering the chance to chat with new people across the globe – like roulette, with each virtual ‘spin,’ you’ll randomly be assigned a chat buddy to video call with, and if you aren’t interested, either party can simply move onto the next.You never know who’s going to end up on the other end of that call – and that’s the whole fun of it!
Boasting more than 4 million (total) visits, mainly from the US along with a few European countries (including Germany and the UK), it seems it’s still a popular way to spend time online, be it for a bit of fun to pass the time or to socialize.
Why Is My ChatRoulette Access Limited?
Believe it or not, the internet content you are allowed to access can really depend on which country you’re in and that country’s societal and religious beliefs.
As mentioned, many countries have governments that institute censorship programs to block content they deem inappropriate or destructive to their culture and society.
In many cases, sites like Chatroulette are totally inaccessible, both because they are seen as immoral but also because some governments feel the need to stifle ways that citizens can communicate with each other.
You can get around this though – in fact, you just need to use a VPN to regain access to all of your favorite sites and web services.
What is A VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, and it’s ideal for improving your internet security as well as unblocking bans on ChatRoulette.
Here’s how it works:
- Pick a company and sign up for a subscription
- Install the VPN company software, and set up your connection
- Your provider will route you through a secure server and encrypt your data
- Your IP address is masked, and you’re given a new one
The result of all this is that by masking your IP address, geographical content blocks no longer apply to you.
Plus, by encrypting all of your information and routing you through a remote server, you’re guaranteed a private and anonymous browsing session.
How Do You Get Banned from Chatroulette
Sometimes, access to ChatRoulette is not banned due to the geographical locations, but because the application itself has blocked the actual user. So how do you get banned from ChatRoulette?
Most people spin away on Chatroulette oblivious to the rules and regulations, and though some bans may only last a few days, others are known to last a lifetime. If you’re wondering why you received a Chatroulette ban, it could be for any of the following reasons:
- Showing disrespect to fellow Chatrouletters (including vulgar language, being racist, issuing threats)
- Offensive behavior, which includes nudity and pointing the camera to private parts rather than your face
- You used a webcam emulator – you fixed your camera on an image, not of yourself (perhaps another image of someone else)
- Spamming – including URLs, showing ads or getting another user to take part in a survey
- You were reported, and Chatroulette took the side of the person who launched the complaint
How to Get Unbanned from Chatroulette with a VPN
In cases where you have been banned, as opposed to blocked, due to the country you are in, you can try pleading your case to Chatroulette support and apologize.
If this does not help, your best bet is most definitely to use a VPN. It works to unban users on ChatRoulette for the same reasons that it helps those looking to work around government blocks.
It all lies in changing your IP address. When you’re banned, your IP address is noted and blocked. A Chatroulette VPN will allow you to hide your true IP address enabling you to get yourself back onto live chatting. You’ll be able to anonymously return to Chatroulette and browse the internet while maintaining the security of a private network.
There are many types of Chatroulette VPN providers on the market, and when it comes to getting back online to Chatroulette you’re going to want to find a VPN with:
- Fast speeds for video chat
- Unlimited bandwidth – for unlimited chatting
- High encryption levels – for the best security
- A reliable connection – for this you’ll need a VPN with many servers so connectivity does not drop
- Compatibility with a large range of devices
We’ve rated and reviewed many different VPN providers and here are our top picks for ChatRoulette users.
Top 3 VPNs for Chatroulette
The market is flooded with VPN companies promising the very best in online protection and access. We’ll help you decide who’s right for you by going over the top three VPNs on the web.
#1: Express VPN Fastest connection for video chat
ExpressVPN is top of the VPN game in almost every way. Here’s why:
- Unlimited bandwidth – ExpressVPN users can chat away into the dark hours of the night with unlimited bandwidth
- Lightning-fast connection – ChatRoulette users very rarely have to suffer video lagging
- Military-grade encryption levels – ExpressVPN’s privacy policies make it ideal for securing your connection and hiding your IP
- Compatible with a wide range of devices – ExpressVPN is available for iOS, Windows, Android, Routers and more, with a large number of servers to choose from, so it is ideal to bypass the Chatroulette ban
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $8.32 a month for a 12-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
#2: IPVanish Low monthly rates, not compatible with iOS
A highly reputable and reliable VPN for Chatroulette unblocking, IPVanish has a whole host of features that make it a good buy.
- Highest encryption levels – IPVanish is a market leader in many respects, including its approach to security, making it perfect for those that want to workaround a country ban for ChatRoulette
- Huge Network – IPVanish has over 1,000 anonymous servers to connect to, allowing you to enjoy extremely fast and unrestricted internet access, including the option to get unblocked from Chatroulette!
- Multiple connections – you’ll also have the bonus of being able to connect to up to five separate devices, so you won’t need to purchase a separate package for your phone, computer and so on
- $7.50 a month
- $6.74 a month for a three-month plan
- $4.87 a month for a 12-month plan billed annually
- Seven-day refund policy.
#3: HideMyAss Slower customer service, less reliable connection
HideMyAss is a well known VPN thanks to some pretty savvy branding and marketing – but it’s not all show, it has many features that result in an excellent VPN.
- Stringent encryption protocols – Owned by the leading anti-virus software company Avast, HideMyAss knows what it’s doing when it comes to online privacy and security
- Vast network of servers – With over 120,000 IP addresses and a whopping 940 servers to choose from, users looking for a VPN for Chatroulette find changing their IP address with HideMyAss as their VPN provider extremely easy
- Slightly slower than IPVanish and ExpressVPN – The only slight negative is that HideMyAss isn’t quite as fast as the other two VPNs mentioned here. However it should be fine for video chat, but you can expect to encounter the odd frozen screen.
- Either way, it’s another solid VPN to use to bypass the Chatroulette ban
- $9.99 a month
- $7.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $5.99 a month for a 12-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee (doesn’t apply if downloaded via Google Play or App Store – read T&C’s for more)
I’m Going Traveling – Which Countries Block Chatroulette Completely?
Many Middle Eastern countries including the likes of the UAE, Kuwait, and Iran (to name a few) are all well known for blocking Chatroulette completely. In those countries it is blocked due to the censorship laws. As ChatRoulette is sometimes used for sexual content, its use can go against those countries’ religion beliefs.
In China, where 6,000,000 websites are blocked, Chatroulette is banned entirely. There, along with most social media sites, Chatroulette is banned due to protectionism laws.
Does a Chatroulette Proxy Work?
You could try using a proxy to make your browsing anonymous as they do hide your IP address.
However, the issue however with proxies, is that they often contain hidden malware (especially the free ones) and many are fake. You can get lucky with proxies but they are a bit hit and miss with the servers being quite unstable so users can expect their connection to flicker on and off, making live-chatting a frustrating experience.
The Bottom Line
Chatroulette is aptly named – it’s like spinning an online social roulette wheel, and you just never know who you’re going to connect with.
All of this open communication has put it under the scrutiny of many countries with strict internet censorship programs though.
If you’re too much of a social butterfly to let that stand in your way, sign up for ExpressVPN. You’ll not only regain access to sites like Chatroulette, but also perks like:
- Secure encryption
- Private browsing
- Unlimited access
Talking on Chatroulette will always be possible by signing up for a secure, fast connection with Express VPN.