The Best VPNs for Amazon Firestick and Fire TV
Some users of a Firestick or Amazon Fire will find that they cannot always access their content when away traveling.
Here, we investigate why a VPN for Amazon Fire TV and Firestick are needed, and how to install one so that you can enjoy all the content that Amazon services have to offer, no matter where you are.
The Best VPN For FireStick & Fire TV
My list of the top 6 VPNs for Amazon Fire TV stick
Ultra Fast Streaming and work with Netflix as well.
ExpressVPN is our top pick due to its selection of key features needed to be an excellent VPN. It remains one of the most popular VPNs for many a reason.
- Quick and consistent connection speeds – Allows for quick streaming as well as working well with Netflix US.
- Encryption is top quality – ExpressVPN uses an OpenVPN protocol which masks all traffic with 256-bit encryption software, so all user online data is secure.
- Good for beginners – VPNs aren’t always easy to use yet ExpressVPN, especially once installed on your Amazon Fire Stick, is one of the easiest VPNs for Amazon.
- 24/7 support via a live chat feature – this means that should customers experience any issues, you can have them solved immediately.
- Unlimited bandwidth – This necessary feature is included with a subscription plan to ExpressVPN so that users can stream all video content seamlessly.
- No specific app for Amazon Firestick but users can install it manually.
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.67 a month for a 15-month plan (including three months free!)
- 30-day money back guarantee
You can read a full review here
- Very Secure – Online protection is important to NordVPN, so customers can stream content privately with no worries about their online security being breached. The provider uses a double data encryption technique along with a Kill Switch feature to ensure this.
- No logs policy – NordVPN manages to uphold user anonymity by not keeping any logs of their web traffic.
- Large and wide network – NordVPN has one of the largest networks out there with over 60 different worldwide locations so that any content is available to its customers.
- Simple to use – accessing Amazon TV with an installed NordVPN app is easy, even for beginners.
- Round the clock support – Using a live chat feature, customers can solve their problems quickly and easily.
- No NordVPN Firestick app, but users can install it manually.
- $11.95 a month
- $9.00 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.99 a month for a 12-month plan
- Special deal: $3.99 a month for a 24-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
You can read a full review here
- Never any logs kept – The company’s zero-logging policy is great for users who are located in countries with very strict internet laws. Your data will never be at risk of being sold tor handed over.
- 1,000+ servers available – Cyberghost claims to operate 1,111 servers, with many of them located in almost every area of the world.
- Military-grade encryption – Their military-strength AES 256-BIT encryption uses a 2048-BIT RSA Key, ensuring the safety of your internet activity.
- 60-day money back guarantee – If you end up not liking the product, Cyberghost offers a 60-day full money back guarantee (which is twice the amount of time typically given).
- $10.99 per month for one month
- $7.99 per month for 6 months
- $4.99 per month for a year
- $2.90 per month for two years
You can read a full review here
PrivateVPN is a very able VPN for Amazon Firestick. It has many features that make it a top pick of ours.
- Strict privacy policies – Users won’t have their activity logged when accessing geo restricted content on their Amazon Firestick through PrivateVPN
- Unlimited bandwidth and speed – allows for pleasurable streaming of video content throughout the Amazon TV library.
- Six simultaneous connections – perfect for families, everyone can stream a different show through their own mobile devices.
- Low cost – it’s a cheap option over a 13-month period.
- $8.21 a month
- $5.63 a month for a three-month plan
- $4.15 a month for a 13-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
HideMyAss is a popular VPN and simple to use so it is often installed when people want to stream geo restricted content through Amazon Fire TV.
- Over 200 country locations – this allows for easy switching of servers. Content is consistently and constantly available to users wanting content from any location around the world.
- OpenVPN encryption protocols – this is one of the safest ways to encrypt connections out there, so HideMyAss customers can be confident that they are streaming privately and securely at all times. Plus, with its IP leak protection HideMyAss users are even more difficult to trace.
- Not directly compatible with Amazon Firestick, but HideMyAss has a number of options to connect through your router instead.
- Five devices – connect all your devices through your router to your HideMyAss VPN.
- $11.52 a month
- $8.33 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.56 a month for a 12-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee (it’s a little strict so be sure to read the T&Cs)
What Makes a Great Fire Tv VPN?
VPNs need to have the following features to be worth signing up to for Amazon Fire TV:
- Large amount of servers to allow for easy connection
- Quick connection speeds so that streaming videos can be done without buffering
- Excellent encryption methods to ensure that users remain safe and that their online identity is kept anonymous
- Unlimited bandwidths so that users can watch entire seasons and box sets without experiencing any throttling to stop a smooth streaming process.
How To Install A VPN on Amazon Firestick
To use a VPN for your Amazon Firestick or on your Amazon Fire TV, you first need to install it. At first glance, it can appear fiddly as many services do not have a Fire TV VPN app. However, by simply following these steps, you’ll be streaming TV shows through your Firestick in no time.
- Launch your Amazon Fire TV/Stick
- Head to ‘Apps’ on your Home screen.
- Under ‘Categories’ select ‘Utility’.
- Choose ExpressVPN app and click the ‘Get’ button which will start the download process.
- After installation, choose ‘Open’.
- Sign in using your Username and Password.
- Select which VPN server location you need to connect to watch the geo restricted content you want.
- Soon your VPN connection will be established so you can then go to home to start streaming content.
How to set up ExpressVPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV >> Click Here!
Why Do I Need A VPN for Amazon Fire TV or Firestick?
Amazon has blocked a whole range of shows and movies because of geo restrictions. A VPN is the best way to get around those restrictions, as it gives a user the impression of being located somewhere where the content they want is not blocked.
For example, if you are in the USA, but want to access German content on Amazon FireTV, a VPN will give the impression that you are in Germany, so you can stream films and shows from that country.
VPNs, or Virtual Private Networks, works by giving users the appearance of a new IP address. IP addresses are how websites and streaming services recognize what country their users are in. VPN providers can give the appearance of a new IP address by letting users connect to servers in a worldwide network.
That connection is also encrypted, so users have an extra level of security when browsing the internet and streaming video content.
Changing Your DNS Setting and Time Zone on Fire TV
If you’re having trouble changing your location to access unblocked content you will have to change your DNS settings as well as your time zone. First, you will have to find out whether your VPN provider has a DNS address you can use as well as your IP address, then follow these steps:
- On the menu where you usually enter your wifi password click Advances.
- Type in your IP address, but make sure to change the last number to anything that is not between 2 and 255.
- In the Gateway section enter your router IP address
- Find Network Prefix Length and enter 24
- In the DNS1 and DNS2 section enter your primary as well as the alternative DNS address
- Hit Connect
Another tip for those having trouble connecting is that your time zone doesn’t match the country from which you wish to stream content from. In order to change your time zone you will need to follow these steps:
- In the Home menu, scroll down until you find Settings
- Find System and then select Time Zone
- Choose the time zone that aligns with your desired location
Controlling Mouse Input on Firestick
You may have noticed that your Firestick TV remote doesn’t work that well and the answer is to find a mouse to use. The best option is to invest in a Bluetooth mouse which is supported by newer versions of Fire TV and Fire TV Stick.
If this isn’t an option for you, there is an app available on both iOS and Android devices called Mouse Toggle. This will allow you to turn your smartphone into a mouse and let you control your Fire TV. While it does cost $2.99 to purchase, this is much less than you buying a physical mouse. If you choose to do this you will also need to enable ADB Debugging within your Fire TV settings, but there are instructions within the app and within just five minutes you will have it up and running.
Change Your Amazon Account to Desired Country
Accessing specific content from Amazon Prime Video and other platforms can be impossible unless you have connected your Amazon account to the US or some other country. You can do this by following these steps:
- Click on Your Account and then find Manage your content and devices
- Click on the Settings option
- Find Country settings and hit Change
- Enter any US address. You can find one in Google if you don’t have one.
- Click Update.
We recommend ExpressVPN above all others for a smooth service when trying to stream content through your Amazon FireTV or through your Amazon Firestick. It can unblock geo-restricted content quickly and easily once installed.