The Best VPNs for Amazon Firestick and Fire TV
Some users of a Firestick or Amazon Fire will find that they cannot always access their content when away traveling.
Here, we investigate why a VPN for Amazon Fire TV and Firestick are needed, and how to install one so that you can enjoy all the content that Amazon services have to offer, no matter where you are.
The Best VPN For FireStick & Fire TV
My list of the top 6 VPNs for Amazon Fire TV stick
Ultra Fast Streaming and work with Netflix as well.
ExpressVPN is our top pick due to its selection of key features needed to be an excellent VPN. It remains one of the most popular VPNs for many a reason.
- Quick and consistent connection speeds – Allows for quick streaming as well as working well with Netflix US.
- Encryption is top quality – ExpressVPN uses an OpenVPN protocol which masks all traffic with 256-bit encryption software, so all user online data is secure.
- Good for beginners – VPNs aren’t always easy to use yet ExpressVPN, especially once installed on your Amazon Fire Stick, is one of the easiest VPNs for Amazon.
- 24/7 support via a live chat feature – this means that should customers experience any issues, you can have them solved immediately.
- Unlimited bandwidth – This necessary feature is included with a subscription plan to ExpressVPN so that users can stream all video content seamlessly.
- No specific app for Amazon Firestick but users can install it manually.
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.67 a month for a 15-month plan (including three months free!)
- 30-day money back guarantee
You can read a full review here
For watching Amazon Prime Video and all its addictive TV series, NordVPN is one of our best vpn for firestick picks for a VPN provider.
- Very Secure – Online protection is important to NordVPN, so customers can stream content privately with no worries about their online security being breached. The provider uses a double data encryption technique along with a Kill Switch feature to ensure this.
- No logs policy – NordVPN manages to uphold user anonymity by not keeping any logs of their web traffic.
- Large and wide network – NordVPN has one of the largest networks out there with over 60 different worldwide locations so that any content is available to its customers.
- Simple to use – accessing Amazon TV with an installed NordVPN app is easy, even for beginners.
- Round the clock support – Using a live chat feature, customers can solve their problems quickly and easily.
- No NordVPN Firestick app, but users can install it manually.
- $11.95 a month
- $9.00 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.99 a month for a 12-month plan
- Special deal: $3.99 a month for a 24-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
You can read a full review here
If you are trying to stream in the UAE or Qatar, Cyberghost could be an excellent choice.
- Never any logs kept – The company’s zero-logging policy is great for users who are located in countries with very strict internet laws. Your data will never be at risk of being sold tor handed over.
- 1,000+ servers available – Cyberghost claims to operate 1,111 servers, with many of them located in almost every area of the world.
- Military-grade encryption – Their military-strength AES 256-BIT encryption uses a 2048-BIT RSA Key, ensuring the safety of your internet activity.
- 60-day money back guarantee – If you end up not liking the product, Cyberghost offers a 60-day full money back guarantee (which is twice the amount of time typically given).
- $10.99 per month for one month
- $7.99 per month for 6 months
- $4.99 per month for a year
- $2.90 per month for two years
You can read a full review here
PrivateVPN is a very able VPN for Amazon Firestick. It has many features that make it a top pick of ours.
- Strict privacy policies – Users won’t have their activity logged when accessing geo restricted content on their Amazon Firestick through PrivateVPN
- Unlimited bandwidth and speed – allows for pleasurable streaming of video content throughout the Amazon TV library.
- Six simultaneous connections – perfect for families, everyone can stream a different show through their own mobile devices.
- Low cost – it’s a cheap option over a 13-month period.
- $8.21 a month
- $5.63 a month for a three-month plan
- $4.15 a month for a 13-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
HideMyAss is a popular VPN and simple to use so it is often installed when people want to stream geo restricted content through Amazon Fire TV.
- Over 200 country locations – this allows for easy switching of servers. Content is consistently and constantly available to users wanting content from any location around the world.
- OpenVPN encryption protocols – this is one of the safest ways to encrypt connections out there, so HideMyAss customers can be confident that they are streaming privately and securely at all times. Plus, with its IP leak protection HideMyAss users are even more difficult to trace.
- Not directly compatible with Amazon Firestick, but HideMyAss has a number of options to connect through your router instead.
- Five devices – connect all your devices through your router to your HideMyAss VPN.
- $11.52 a month
- $8.33 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.56 a month for a 12-month plan
- 30-day money back guarantee (it’s a little strict so be sure to read the T&Cs)
What Makes a Great Fire Tv VPN?
VPNs need to have the following features to be worth signing up to for Amazon Fire TV:
- Large amount of servers to allow for easy connection
- Quick connection speeds so that streaming videos can be done without buffering
- Excellent encryption methods to ensure that users remain safe and that their online identity is kept anonymous
- Unlimited bandwidths so that users can watch entire seasons and box sets without experiencing any throttling to stop a smooth streaming process.
How To Install A VPN on Amazon Firestick
To use a VPN for your Amazon Firestick or on your Amazon Fire TV, you first need to install it. At first glance, it can appear fiddly as many services do not have a Fire TV VPN app. However, by simply following these steps, you’ll be streaming TV shows through your Firestick in no time.
To make it easy, we’ve written the steps needed to install our top recommended VPN, ExpressVPN, but the method can be employed for most VPNs.
- Launch your Amazon Fire TV/Stick
- Head to ‘Apps’ on your Home screen.
- Under ‘Categories’ select ‘Utility’.
- Choose ExpressVPN app and click the ‘Get’ button which will start the download process.
- After installation, choose ‘Open’.
- Sign in using your Username and Password.
- Select which VPN server location you need to connect to watch the geo restricted content you want.
- Soon your VPN connection will be established so you can then go to home to start streaming content.
How to set up ExpressVPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV >> Click Here!
Why Do I Need A VPN for Amazon Fire TV or Firestick?
Amazon has blocked a whole range of shows and movies because of geo restrictions. A VPN is the best way to get around those restrictions, as it gives a user the impression of being located somewhere where the content they want is not blocked.
For example, if you are in the USA, but want to access German content on Amazon FireTV, a VPN will give the impression that you are in Germany, so you can stream films and shows from that country.
VPNs, or Virtual Private Networks, works by giving users the appearance of a new IP address. IP addresses are how websites and streaming services recognize what country their users are in. VPN providers can give the appearance of a new IP address by letting users connect to servers in a worldwide network.
That connection is also encrypted, so users have an extra level of security when browsing the internet and streaming video content.
Changing Your DNS Setting and Time Zone on Fire TV
If you’re having trouble changing your location to access unblocked content you will have to change your DNS settings as well as your time zone. First, you will have to find out whether your VPN provider has a DNS address you can use as well as your IP address, then follow these steps:
- On the menu where you usually enter your wifi password click Advances.
- Type in your IP address, but make sure to change the last number to anything that is not between 2 and 255.
- In the Gateway section enter your router IP address
- Find Network Prefix Length and enter 24
- In the DNS1 and DNS2 section enter your primary as well as the alternative DNS address
- Hit Connect
Another tip for those having trouble connecting is that your time zone doesn’t match the country from which you wish to stream content from. In order to change your time zone you will need to follow these steps:
- In the Home menu, scroll down until you find Settings
- Find System and then select Time Zone
- Choose the time zone that aligns with your desired location
Controlling Mouse Input on Firestick
You may have noticed that your Firestick TV remote doesn’t work that well and the answer is to find a mouse to use. The best option is to invest in a Bluetooth mouse which is supported by newer versions of Fire TV and Fire TV Stick.
If this isn’t an option for you, there is an app available on both iOS and Android devices called Mouse Toggle. This will allow you to turn your smartphone into a mouse and let you control your Fire TV. While it does cost $2.99 to purchase, this is much less than you buying a physical mouse. If you choose to do this you will also need to enable ADB Debugging within your Fire TV settings, but there are instructions within the app and within just five minutes you will have it up and running.
Change Your Amazon Account to Desired Country
Accessing specific content from Amazon Prime Video and other platforms can be impossible unless you have connected your Amazon account to the US or some other country. You can do this by following these steps:
- Click on Your Account and then find Manage your content and devices
- Click on the Settings option
- Find Country settings and hit Change
- Enter any US address. You can find one in Google if you don’t have one.
- Click Update.
Best VPN For Firestick – Bottom Line
We recommend ExpressVPN above all others for a smooth service when trying to stream content through your Amazon FireTV or through your Amazon Firestick. It can unblock geo-restricted content quickly and easily once installed.
Nord VPN is actually quite problematic with ALL Amazon services. It’s a good service in general, however and I would still recommend them despite these issues.
I’m in Canada and I have a US server set up on my Tomato router. I was unable to visit Amazon.ca, Amazon.com, use AWS services or even add books to my Kindle app. I worked with support and they gave me tbe number of a US server that allowed me to access to the .com and .ca sites and got my Kindle working. However, I am still unable to access Prime Video. I get the message that I’m using a VPN and VPNs are blocked. According to support, UK Prime is now the only version that will work with a VPN.
I have no interest in accessing the US Prime Video site so I’m just going to figure out how to set up a VLAN for one device so I can watch Prime in Canada.
So, if you already have Nord or you are doing a trial, contact support. They’re excellent and they may know of a server that works for the other services.
Unfortunately, I see many more restrictions in the pipeline for North American users. The new trade deal that recently replaced the NAFTA agreement includes a lot of measures for piracy and streaming. We’re probably going to see more efforts
to block VPNs in an effort to enforce geo restrictions. The details are just starting to come out.
Thank you very much for your input. This information is very useful and valuable, and our readers appreciate it.
I recently found NordVPN in the Amazon Fire App Store. I recall the date listed was 6/13. Can you please check it out and post an updated review? How does NordVPN do with Netflix?
I did check with NordVPN, they have this new app https://nordvpn.com/download/android-tv/ for Amazon Fire devices, NordVPN will unlock NetFlix USA shows.
Vypr VPN does not have a firestick installer even though the article CLEARLY says it can be used on the firestick !!!
Hi Fred, We don’t have VyprVPN listed in this article for that very reason – it is not compatible (to the best of our knowledge) with Amazon Firestick. We recommend that you try ExpressVPN. Our readers have had luck with this VPN in the past. Thanks!
Streaming videos are here to stay, and if a user wants to keep his activity private and secure, he needs to incorporate a virtual private network into his daily routine. ExpressVPN uses the most secured data encryption to help protect the activity of the user from bandwidth throttling, spying third parties, and information-hoarding ISPs. The user can also access geo-restricted content to stream videos from any country in the world.
While streaming videos on Firestick, if the quality drops, the user might need to connect to a US server closest to his actual location. This shall pull up the streaming quality effectively. But isn’t the switching of servers a hassle for the user while watching TV shows then?
Thanks for such a great question! Streaming is a major reason people obtain a VPN, and you’re right that ExpressVPN offers a great solution for both streaming and privacy. Finding the right server can be a problem when you’re streaming TV, as it can slow down your connection and cause buffering and resolution issues. Unfortunately, switching servers is still the best way to ensure you get a proper stream, and it sometimes may interrupt your stream. However, services like ExpressVPN do offer some workarounds. These include the Smart Location feature that offers the best servers for specific activities, as well as recommended servers that are known to offer the most reliable or fastest connections. It’s always good to try out different connections and find those you know work best, which will also help you avoid annoying interruptions during your streaming activities.
Thanks for this article! It’s really informative and helpful. I’ve been able to access Amazon Firestick using one of your recommended VPNs and I’ve not had any problems so far. I’d like to recommend one to a friend so I’d like to know if there are VPNs for Amazon Firestick that can function even in Mid-Africa.
Thank you for the great feedback, we’re happy to be of assistance! To answer your question, there are several great options you can install on an Amazon Firestick that will still give you great protection anywhere in Africa. ExpressVPN remains our golden standard, with excellent security features and reliable speeds. However, we also recommend services such as HideMyAss, which focuses on better browsing speeds, and IPVanish which delivers a great blend of security and speed, even on Firesticks. Let us know how it goes for your friend!
Express vpn is the best vpn for any uses.I used Express vpn for Netflix and i hope that it also works for Amazon Fire TV. And thanks for sharing good information to us.
Does anyone know if using a VPN is a violation of Amazon’s TOS? Before I take the plunge I just want to make sure that I won’t get my account banned or something stupid. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Thank you for the relevant question! While we’re no lawyers, we haven’t found any reports of regular user accounts being banned or deleted for using a VPN. You may experience some quirks while browsing, as Amazon may detect you’re in another location. The story is a little different for sellers, where there have been reports of accounts being blocked for masking their real location. Hopefully this helps!
Now for the million dollar question. Which one of these bad boys will work in China? I need to know as I’m heading that way in February for two weeks and I don’t want to try and have to translate my TV.
It would be helpful if I could use the same service on my mobile too, so I need China, Mobile and a raise to afford the expenses on the trip. What do you suggest?
Hi Frank, and safe travels! As far as the VPNs we list in the article, ExpressVPN, IPVanish, and HideMyAss all have sterling track records when it comes to functioning properly in China. Moreover, all three have mobile versions which you can install with the same subscription as your computer VPN. Hopefully this helps you on your trip!
Thanks, it worked nicely smooth for me. I wanted to access Netflix through Amazon firestick and it was slow (I don’t know the reason why it was slow). After trying Express VPN it’s working smooth and nice for me.
Amazon Fire TV is my boss for watching TV online. With all the classic and world-class content, I really love the service. Unfortunately, due to geo-restrictions, I wasn’t able to enjoy some favorite contents until I stumbled upon SecureThoughts. Using NordVPN, I’m pinned to Canada right now.
Thank you! I downloaded IPvanish after reading this and I now stream all my favorite channels whenever I want to. Accessing television have never been easier
ExpressVPN unblocks any nasty geo restrictions. It is the best I have tried so far. It is fast and network friendly.
I may need a hand with my installation. I have been trying to install HideMyAssVPN on Firestick but it’s not working. I want to believe it’s everywhere because I can’t understand.
In order to use FireStick through our VPN, you will need to use a router as FireStick does not have a VPN client itself. If your current router does not support VPN protocols (HMA! Live Chat support will happily help you with this) you will need an additional router. Please contact HMA! if you need assistance with your router. They will walk you through it until you succeed.
I have used Express VPN on Amazon fireTV and it was Easy to use. Works on win and android. Doesn’t slow down the download. The best I have tried.
Express vpn and IPVanish are the two best services that i have used. Completely satisfied with the service and offers they provide for the firestick.
How come the only VPN in the Amazon app store is IPVanish? I want a better one than that but they aren’t there.
Currently, IPVanish is the only VPN that Amazon hosts in their store. There are many potential reasons for this, but Amazon has provided no official explanation. You can use a different provider on Firestick; it just requires more set-up. Other VPN services can be installed via the Downloader panel by entering the app URL. Contact the provider you want to use for a more detailed guide.