Best VPNs for iPhone and iOS Devices
If you’re an iPhone user, you need a VPN app to keep your data secure when using public WiFi and enable you to enjoy movies and TV shows that are unavailable in your current location. Since free VPN apps are not practical, you need to know the best VPN app for iPhone (This works for iOS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6). Read our reviews below, including our top pick, ExpressVPN.
For the best VPN for iPhone, get Express VPN now!
Why Use a VPN for iPhone and iOS Devices?
Are you wondering what is VPN on iPhone? It’s one of the best apps for iPhone and iPad. While iOS 11 is an extremely secure operating system, there are still huge security holes when data leaves your phone to travel through public internet. Public WiFi hotspots are a gold mine for hackers or malicious network owners who can view everything sent online using that WiFi. Your ISP might even be collecting your non-personal information and sharing it without your knowledge. An iPhone VPN seals this security gap by sending your data via its private server and encrypting it all before it leaves. In this way, it masks your real location and identity online so you can access TV content or enter internet networks which aren’t available where you are now.
How to Use a VPN on iPhone, iPad, and other iOS Devices
Here is a clear step-by-step guide to how to install and activate a VPN on your iPhone, iPad, or other iOS device:
- Choose a VPN app for iPhone, like one of the best iPhone VPN apps below.
- Download the app and make a note of the VPN’s setup information, which includes the remote server, remote ID, username, and password.
- Your VPN should configure itself automatically when you open it after installation. Simply follow the prompts asking for permission to add this VPN to your device, entering your Apple Touch ID or your passcode when requested.
- To turn on the VPN, go to your Settings page.
- Choose General and then VPN from the list.
- Select which VPN for iPhone you want to use, if you have more than one on your phone, and click the toggle next to it to turn it on.
- Remember to come back and turn the VPN off again when you are done.
Best VPN for iPhone and iOS Devices in 2018
We’ve hunted for the best VPN for iPhone for you and come up with the following top five best iPhone VPN apps in 2018 (also see our review on best VPNs for 2018 for more features). All of these VPN iPhone apps are fully compatible with iOS 11 and protect your data and hide your location, whether you want to download the latest movies while on holiday or need to safeguard sensitive data.
#1 ExpressVPN for iPhone
- World-class encryption based on a 4096-bit CA
- Switch your visible location between 145 cities across 94 countries as often as you’d like
- Unlimited streaming speed and downloads
- Software compatible with every platform, including iOS 11
- Use across three devices simultaneously
- Setup is fast and simple on every device
- Round the clock customer support
- Quite expensive
- 30-day money back guarantee so that you can test free VPN for iPhone at the highest level.
Price: $6.67 per month on their 12-month plan (with 3 extra months).
#2 NordVPN for iPhone
- Compatible with all versions of iOS
- Can be used on three devices at the same time
- Extra security features include TOR for iPhone, double encryption methods, kill switch, and zero logs policy
- Servers in 61 countries
- Unlimited P2P and downloads
- Streaming speeds are somewhat slower than other VPN apps
Price: Very affordable at $3.29 a month when you sign up for two years. You can test a free VPN for iPhone with their 30-day money-back guarantee.
#3 HideMyAss for iPhone
Servers in almost 200 countries around the world, more than any other VPN
- Reliable mobile app for iOS
- Strong OpenVPN encryption protocol and no IP leaks
- High-speed internet that doesn’t slow you down
- Unlimited legal torrenting but no P2P filesharing permitted
- Does keep some logs and will share information with British authorities when compelled to do so
Price: $6.56 per month when you sign up for one year. No free VPN for iPhone but you can test it out first with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
#4 SaferVPN for iPhone
- Compatible with all versions of iOS
- Can be used on up to 2 devices at the same time on the simple plan, and up to 5 devices at a time on the premium plan,
- Extra security features include Automatic Diagnose Fix, diagnosing and fixing issues before they happen, kill switch and zero logs policy
- Servers in 36 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth and speed
- Faster streaming speeds compared to other VPNs
Price: The cheapest we’ve seen on the market at $4.99 a month when you sign up for the 12 month plan, but you can sign up for a single month at $9.99. Their current popular offer gives you a 65% discount when you sign up for a 24-month contract, at $3.49/mo. All plans come with a 30 day money-back guarantee over one month.
#5 IPVanishVPN for iPhone
- Extremely fast VPN app for iOS systems
- Can be used across five devices simultaneously
- Very reliable 256-bit AES encryption with zero logs
- Unlimited switching between servers in 60 countries
- Auto-Connect ensures that internet use is always protected
- Unlimited P2P downloads and HD streaming for smooth and speedy watching
- Based in the USA, which is a drawback from the security point of view
Price: $6.49 a month when you sign up for one year, and while there is no free VPN for iPhone, IPVanishVPN offers a 7-day money back guarantee.
#6 PrivateVPN for iPhone
- Very reliable VPN app that works seamlessly on all iOS devices and operating systems above iOS 8
- Use across six devices at once
- Strong OpenVPN encryption and zero logs to secure your data
- Switch your location as many times as you like between over 50 countries
- High level of customer support 24/7
- Streaming and downloads speeds are fast, and P2P is permitted
Price: $4.15 per month for 13 months with their one-year plan, and PrivateVPN’s 30 day money back guarantee permits you to try them out before you commit.
#7 PureVPN for iPhone
- Easy to use and compatible with all iOS systems
- Auto-Connect feature chooses the fastest server from their 180+ server locations
- Download speeds are high, and streaming is smooth and seamless
- Use across six devices at once
- Kill switch
- Web filtering for parental controls
- Secure DNS feature doesn’t always work
Price: $2.80 per month on their 2 year plan and while there is no 30-day trial, there is a 7-day money back guarantee offered.
Having weighed up these five best VPN apps for iPhone, our conclusion is that Express VPN for iPhone is the best VPN app for iPhone thanks to its high-level encryption, fast streaming, and huge number of locations.
Free VPN for iPhone
There are free VPN apps, but they have some major limitations. They are usually designed to tempt users into buying the premium product, so they come with heavy download and speed restrictions, which you’ll quickly exceed. But, they are worth using if you just want to try out a VPN before you sign up. Learn more about the best free VPNs.
Choosing the Best VPN for iPhone and iOS Devices
A VPN app for iPhone is one of the best apps for iPad, iPhone, or any other iOS device, whether you are after practicality, security, or ease of access to entertainment and private business networks. Now that you know all about the best VPN apps for iPhone, you can start catching up on all those episodes of your favorite TV shows. Our recommended iPhone VPN is Express VPN, but you will certainly enjoy the high quality of the other services listed above.